Brett Connolly

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yesterday was probably Brett's most impressive performance yet, at least to me, and that's because of the opponent. I see Brett as a guy who's a little too easy to knock off the puck, especially for his size, but yesterday we played a big, heavy team who were playing 1997-style clutch and grab and Brett found a way to thrive.

As much as I have, and still do, wanted to move Connolly elsewhere, he's really grown on me as a player. I like that he gets involved in the nastier parts of the game even though it's obviously not his strong suit. I like that he seems to be a team-first guy. But I can't get past the fact that we're holding him back. The problem is no longer him, it's us. I'm probably just not cut-throat enough to be a GM, but when I think about the career Connolly could have in a city like Buffalo, where he'd be ahead of the curve on the rebuild, compared to the career it looks like he will have in TB, it makes me feel for the guy. We're basically turning him into Dan Cleary.

Yep
I agree I think connolly has become a much better player! But in tampa he will never get the ice time in are top six group unless we really get hit with injuries. Other people from other teams look at his numbers and see bust but it's not true.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Originally I thought playing him on the 4th line would be a bad idea, but I think Morrow and Boyle have definitely helped shape and improve his game.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
He could play in the top 6, he just can't play with Stamkos. Before he was hurt he played with Palat - Johnson for a couple of games and they looked ok, obviously Kucherov is better on that line though. Would like to see Drouin and Filpulla swap with Paquette on the 4th with Connolly on the 3rd, I think Filpulla could be a good center for him.

I agree i see Paquette as more of a 4th liner than Connolly.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I like that Connolly has added some sandpaper to his game. He delivered a few solid hits against the Flying ducks.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With Callahan making 5.75, Kucherov becoming a 30-40 player who'll be getting paid next year it's kinda nice that Connolly hasn't taken off just yet. He's making less then a mil and will probably finish with 15 goals and 25 points. We will be able to sign him for a 2 year 3 mil deal. Even if his production remains the same 15 goals for 1.5 a year is a bargain, if he takes another step and gets 20 then it's a huge steal. Not to mention that he's now defensively responsible and brings a physical element.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Brett is getting better as time goes on as should be expected of a young player. Cracking the top six on the Bolts is not an easy task as elite as we are at forward. Going forward we need depth and we need guys who will step up and produce when called upon. Brett is a guy who will do it when he called upon . In the meantime he just needs to accept and make the most of his opportunities. He is gaining respect by the way he playing and he deserves it. After the season it will be interesting to see where he is as a player and what case can be made to lock him up.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
With Callahan making 5.75, Kucherov becoming a 30-40 player who'll be getting paid next year it's kinda nice that Connolly hasn't taken off just yet. He's making less then a mil and will probably finish with 15 goals and 25 points. We will be able to sign him for a 2 year 3 mil deal. Even if his production remains the same 15 goals for 1.5 a year is a bargain, if he takes another step and gets 20 then it's a huge steal. Not to mention that he's now defensively responsible and brings a physical element.

Connolly could be deadly for teams in the playoffs third and fouth liners win you games in the playoffs most of the time.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Imagine if he ends up being one of those types like Justin Williams that's relatively quiet in the regular season and beast mode in the playoffs?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Imagine if he ends up being one of those types like Justin Williams that's relatively quiet in the regular season and beast mode in the playoffs?

Bryan Bickell is a guy that always comes to mind too.

Yeah, that would make him worth keeping. I think it's like 50/50 at the deadline. I doubt we're "trying" to move him, but I wouldn't cry if we included him in a package to land a missing piece. Draft day is a bit different. We'll see how he looks in the playoffs.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Bryan Bickell is a guy that always comes to mind too.

Yeah, that would make him worth keeping. I think it's like 50/50 at the deadline. I doubt we're "trying" to move him, but I wouldn't cry if we included him in a package to land a missing piece. Draft day is a bit different. We'll see how he looks in the playoffs.

I wonder what are plan is with vladdy next year ? I'm unsure does he have one more year of no waivers on his two way deal or does he have to be on the lightning ? Does yzerman move someone out to make room for vladdy ? Maybe connolly moves ? Or does yzerman put drouin in the ahl next year and have vladdy take drouins NHL roster spot ? I'd like to see us keep connolly unless we can get a young good defenseman in a trade for him in a package.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
We have too many forwards and it's almost a guarantee Connolly could end up as a chip in our biggest trade but with that said, I'd prefer us trade a guy like Namestnikov instead. Connolly's got some elements to his game that we lack (forwards who can hit and score, aside from Cally) and is likely to be very affordable for the next several years.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015

This is what im hoping, he got the skills to make goals from nowhere and still plays good game as 4th liner, really surprised how he has improved. So glad we havent traded him anywhere.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
We have too many forwards and it's almost a guarantee Connolly could end up as a chip in our biggest trade but with that said, I'd prefer us trade a guy like Namestnikov instead. Connolly's got some elements to his game that we lack (forwards who can hit and score, aside from Cally) and is likely to be very affordable for the next several years.

Connolly has only very recently embraced the physical side of the game. Seems he realized that he's not going to get any ice time at all unless he contributes as a 4th liner/grinder. The guy has almost no hockey sense and relies on broken plays and his linemates to make plays happen. He's not going to get top 6 time on this team, maybe on another where he doesn't have to do the playmaking/thinking.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Hopefully he knows what he needs to do to stay in the bigs. Looks like Panik learned as well

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm trying to pay more attention to Connolly, particularly without the puck and I really start to appreciate what he brings to the table, his style is opposed to the flashy play you'll remember for a while but he's a very well positioned forward always here to disrupt the progression of the opposite team. Doesn't look much it's very effective though. The fact that he's getting more involved physically makes his presence on the 4th line even more sweet.

In short, kid's starting to grow on me.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
It's a shame for the kid our top 3 lines are finally clicking, I think his play warrants a boost in ice time but I just don't know who you can take it away from at this point.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011

that's right on spot.

And I'm not giving up on him eventually getting 30 or more.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
So happy to see Connolly finally finding a contributory role on the team. You can tell his confidence is growing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't want to see him be moved now. He just gives us more scoring depth.

If Coop sticks with this new line, we'll see how it goes. It looks like one last "one last chance" to prove he can be a consistent contributor. I still think Connolly's gone by the draft, but 11-51-14 is a pretty intriguing line. And way out of left field.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Coop sticks with this new line, we'll see how it goes. It looks like one last "one last chance" to prove he can be a consistent contributor. I still think Connolly's gone by the draft, but 11-51-14 is a pretty intriguing line. And way out of left field.

Coop was running only 3 lines for the 3rd period. Doubt Boyle stays on a line with Flip. Who centers the 4th line? Coop was certainly thinking out of the box and when you are down by two have to try anything at that point.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011

Not at all. The move was not about Connolly or a last chance for him. It was Coop putting the guys out there who were playing the best for us and sitting the other guys who were not to mount a come back. Connolly is just playing very well and Coop is rewarding him for it, as he should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad