Brett Connolly

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coop was running only 3 lines for the 3rd period. Doubt Boyle stays on a line with Flip. Who centers the 4th line? Coop was certainly thinking out of the box and when you are down by two have to try anything at that point.

Paquette could center fourth as soon as he returns. Or we could let Drouin center it.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
The kids starting to get it going. One thing we can't deny is that Connolly has a damn good shot.

If he keeps this up, he will hit 15 goals pretty quick here.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I honestly didn't think this would ever happen.

I don't want to trade Brett anymore.

He's been, Imo, the most impressive player this season, alongside Johnson and Kutcherov. But unlike those two we didn't really expect that much out of Brett anymore, which makes him even more impressive.

I know you didn't lose faith in Connolly Hose.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Connolly has become a benefit to the team.

Also, him and Flip have an odd chemistry. They like... never play together, but somehow Flip has set him up for like three goals I can remember off the top of my head.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Connolly has become a benefit to the team.

Also, him and Flip have an odd chemistry. They like... never play together, but somehow Flip has set him up for like three goals I can remember off the top of my head.

That's because Fil is a good setup man and Connolly keeps it simple with quick decisions i.e. wasting no time and pulling the trigger right away - things Stammer seems to be struggling with lately.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's because Fil is a good setup man and Connolly keeps it simple with quick decisions i.e. wasting no time and pulling the trigger right away - things Stammer seems to be struggling with lately.

Which is mind boggling how Flip struggles with Stamkos, but is great with guys like Callahan, Palat, Killorn. and now Connolly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Which is mind boggling how Flip struggles with Stamkos, but is great with guys like Callahan, Palat, Killorn. and now Connolly.

Flip creates offense by slowing plays down. Stamkos creates offense by speeding things up to a pace that overwhelms opponents. Before they were put together, I thought it was obvious that they would click (passer - shooter), but I was dead wrong. Flip likes to change gears a lot, and Stamkos isn't nearly as effective when he slows down.

Flip plays well with guys who create offense by cycling the puck (Callahan, Palat, maybe Connolly). Stamkos plays well with guys who can go balls-out over the blueline with him.

Last edited:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Flip creates offense by slowing plays down. Stamkos creates offense by speeding things up to a pace that overwhelms opponents.

Ding ding. That is correct. We need a winger for Stammer who fits his style, but need a D man more right now, so I don't see one coming.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ding ding. That is correct. We need a winger for Stammer who fits his style, but need a D man more right now, so I don't see one coming.

We have two that fit the mold though: Drouin and Kucherov. Both guys like to hit the line with speed. But Drouin's 19 and Kucherov's services are required elsewhere. It might be time though to just stick Drouin with Stamkos for better or worse, if only so they'll get used to each other. It's not like Stamkos is finding chemistry with anyone else, and the long-term plan is (at least we assume) to play Stammer and Drouin together.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
We have two that fit the mold though: Drouin and Kucherov. Both guys like to hit the line with speed. But Drouin's 19 and Kucherov's services are required elsewhere. It might be time though to just stick Drouin with Stamkos for better or worse, if only so they'll get used to each other. It's not like Stamkos is finding chemistry with anyone else, and the long-term plan is (at least we assume) to play Stammer and Drouin together.

How much worse could the Stamkos line be with Drouin instead of Flip? You'll have to get Stamkos to put forth consistent effort for a 200' game. He's yet to put together a complete 60minutes of that this entire season. But seriously, how much more dysfunctional can Drouin make that line? He'd have to actually deke Bishop and Vasy intentionally and score own goals to **** it up anymore (hyperbole of course).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How much worse could the Stamkos line be with Drouin instead of Flip? You'll have to get Stamkos to put forth consistent effort for a 200' game. He's yet to put together a complete 60minutes of that this entire season. But seriously, how much more dysfunctional can Drouin make that line? He'd have to actually deke Bishop and Vasy intentionally and score own goals to **** it up anymore (hyperbole of course).

I would even go back to Killer-Stamkos-Drouin so we could keep Flip and Callahan together (Connolly-Flip-Callahan? Looks like money.).

Once Drouin gets some experience, I feel like he's going to be a very solid defensive player. He has the intensity. You rarely see him float in the D-zone. It's just a matter of know-how, I think, and turning that into instinct.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Connolly is getting confident, it's the difference here.
You could just see him these past couple of games buzzing, looking a threat everytime he touches the puck. Playing physical... those games on the 4th line are the best it could have happened to him.

I would still trade him... but the return better be good

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa

Kuch isn't going anywhere and Drouin's development is still the worry. They would rather find a plug in for Stamkos for now is my thought. I don't see one coming, so after the dead line I think it's inevitable that Drouin lands on Stammer's wing for the rest of the season and beyond.

I would even go back to Killer-Stamkos-Drouin so we could keep Flip and Callahan together (Connolly-Flip-Callahan? Looks like money.).

This is what I would go with as well.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Flip creates offense by slowing plays down. Stamkos creates offense by speeding things up to a pace that overwhelms opponents. Before they were put together, I thought it was obvious that they would click (passer - shooter), but I was dead wrong. Flip likes to change gears a lot, and Stamkos isn't nearly as effective when he slows down.

Flip plays well with guys who create offense by cycling the puck (Callahan, Palat, maybe Connolly). Stamkos plays well with guys who can go balls-out over the blueline with him.

This is a pretty solid point. Marty was a ball of fire, hence why they were unstoppable together.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

We have two wingers like that, Drouin and Kucherov. If Cooper wanted Johnson on the wing, or Stamkos for that matter, Johnson would be a good fit for him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad