Confirmed with Link: Brenden Dillon for 2 seconds

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Noticed he hasnt made any comments yet and his twitter feed still says washington capitals. I wonder if he isnt all that happy to have been traded here.....

I know that when we do hear from him, he will tell us how highly he thinks of Winnipeg, and is looking forward to his new opportunities here. Of course, some actors can read their lines once and deliver them with conviction, while others need time for a few rehearsals to get them down pat. :nod:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
NHL GMs have yet to figure out how to properly evaluate dman
For the most part they struggle to find and exploit inefficiency.
It wouldn't matter. The puck still needs to get to the danger zones. Teams would just drop back and clog them up

It would be like making basketball courts bigger. I mean look at soccer FFS

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Thats a pretty good deal I think Dillon will do great in Winnipeg but you gotta wonder whats the plan with Heinola... with Morrissey Dillon and Stanley on LD for the next couple of years he doesnt much space to play

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes that’s very much an option, if no RHD are available for that package I could see Copp signed or traded by himself. I prefer him signed if reasonable or traded in a package to further add to our RHD top 4.

That was always an option, losing one D prospect for one D player. Having Dillon just makes it that much easier to do though.

Reactions: Hunter368

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your absolutely right. We need a D that can shut down a Connor McDavid. Pionk can't even keep up with him. Especially in the playoffs. Do you agree?

Your also right about blocking our youth. We are clearly in a rebuild like Buffalo and not in win now mode.

It's obvious.

We also know FAs are lining up to come to Winnipeg. And we are in very few NTC lists. Chevy should easily find a 1RD. They grow on trees

:laugh:
I really wish some people would make better use of emoji's, like :sarcasm:. You almost had me there for about 1 second. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed, its interesting to hear that they were shopping him yet again this offseason. Seems to me if Copp was interested in signing with us we wouldn't be hearing about him on the market. I am still leaning to him being dealt wither for a RD or for futures that can be packaged for one.

He could also bring an Appleton replacement.

But having given up our next two 2nds, I wouldn't mind getting similar for Copp.

Rather do that package deal for a RHD though.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No issue with Morrissey and DeMelo. The thought process was you could maybe get a true top pair guy with that package which would be an upgrade on DeMelo. If we can't do it I'm completely fine signing a Ceci or Savard for the bottom pairing and going with JoMo and DeMelo.

I would rather not sign a RD for the 3rd pairing. All of Niku, Samberg and Heinola have played the right side to one extent or another.

This is a last chance for Niku, but he was actually quite good last year in his very limited chance. He could surprise.

My bet though would be on Heinola. I could see starting the season with him and Dillon paired - as long as Stanley can hold his own paired with Pionk. After a break in period for Heinola, swap Stanley and Dillon.

If we can bundle Copp with any one of Stanley, Samberg or Heinola plus futures for a true 1RD, that is a different matter.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
So now we have these D types:

Morrissey - 6'0 Two-way d-man at his best when he's aggressive and pushing play with a competent partner; has been physical in the past but has been more tentative since his shoulder injury. Has done well with offensive minded D (Myers), defensive minded D (DeMelo), and two-way D (Buff/Trouba); but can't do it on his own. Can play PP/PK
DeMelo - 6'0 Defensive minded D who is steady 5v5 and plays well on the PK, not the most physically challenging defenseman.
Dillon - 6'4 Defensive minded D who is not a black hole defensively, has a mean streak and can clear the crease. Plays a physical game and will be a good asset on the PK.
Pionk - 6'0 Offensive D man who has a solid all around game and players more physical than you'd expect for his size. Is a great option on the PP and can play PK in a pinch (I would prefer not).
Stanley - 6'7 Beast who likes to shoot the puck and uses his reach to the best of its ability. Has shown some trouble with gap control, but played very well with sheltered third pairing minutes. Has the potential to become a steady top 4 two way defenseman. Can play PK (should have gotten more opportunities last year).
Heinola - 5'11 diminutive offensive D-man who makes heady plays and has a good transition game. Should get some time on the PP to show what he's capable of.
Beaulieu - 6'2 Press box defenseman that will be used more than he should be, and in positions above his ability...
Niku - 6'1 Offensive minded defenseman that has had trouble putting it together in his own end, and hasn't gained confidence from the coaching staff over the years. Likely won't have many opportunities to crack the line up. Wouldn't be much of a loss if placed on waivers and claimed.
Samberg - 6'3 Defensive minded D who's offense is yet to be seen whether or not it will translate. Plays a physical game and could turn into a Dillon type player for us down the road.

If we don't acquire any other defensemen it would be ideal to have one of the following line ups:

Dillon Pionk
Morrissey Heinola
Stanley DeMelo

or

Morrissey DeMelo
Stanley Pionk
Dillon Heinola

With Beaulieu/Niku being pressbox D and Samberg and Kovacevic call ups and first D in for Left/Right D injuries respectively.

Pretty good mix of skill types and size if you ask me :dunno:
This is an outstanding Post! I think it could be an Article if you take a few minutes to edit it a little for the Introduction and Closing & some fluffing.

Not sure if you’re interested, but I think others on HF who haven’t visited this Thread would enjoy this & learn something. This is the type of information that I used to come to HF for waaayyyy back in the late 2000’s & through the 20teens (if that’s a word).

Well done.
F2210C2B-6E06-4BAF-9501-96DEBA636F73.gif

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As much as i like Maurice you are absolutely bang on, as a matter of fact as our defense stands right now i think you can say that. Morrissey , Pionk , Dillon, DeMelo , Stanley and even Poolman is a pretty good defense.

Nothing wrong with Poolman at all - on the 3rd pair. Moe ruined his reputation, at least around here, by forcing him onto the 1st pair. But we also have Kovacevic to compete for 3RD.

I don't think we need to add anyone to play that position.

We had relatively few injuries last season, for the first time that I can recall. That would be the one excuse left for Moe if we revert to our usual bad luck in that department.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would rather not sign a RD for the 3rd pairing. All of Niku, Samberg and Heinola have played the right side to one extent or another.

This is a last chance for Niku, but he was actually quite good last year in his very limited chance. He could surprise.

My bet though would be on Heinola. I could see starting the season with him and Dillon paired - as long as Stanley can hold his own paired with Pionk. After a break in period for Heinola, swap Stanley and Dillon.

If we can bundle Copp with any one of Stanley, Samberg or Heinola plus futures for a true 1RD, that is a different matter.

I would be fine with Heinola at RD as well but I suspect Maurice won't want to use him there until he has played a lot on that side on the Moose. He should have been playing there last year imo.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Copp was pretty convincing in his exit interview that he was resigning here.

I'll agree that that doesn't mean Chevy won't deal him, but I think there's a better chance he plays 21-22 as a Jet than of him anywhere else.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Plays '22, then walks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The 10% overage & LTIR don't ever co-exist. The Jets can certainly be 3 million over during camp, but when the rosters are handed in the team must be fully cap compliant.

Only once this happens can the Jets can place Little on LTIR.

Not at all. We need to be exactly at the cap limit of $81,500,000. If that is the case you get salary relief for the full amount of the player in questions contract.

Let's deal in round numbers & assume Little makes $5.5 million. Let's also assume when the rosters are handed in the Jets are exactly at the $81,500,000 million cap limit.

When the season begins on October 12, 2021 the Jets will get Little's full LTIR removed providing them an extra $5.5 million for the season.

Lets play out another scenario. Jets are $5.5 million over the salary cap throughout training camp. That's fine as it's less than 10% of the cap ($8,150,000). Chevy can't hand in that roster. They'd have to trade away $5.5 million in salary to get back to $81.5 million, leaving the Jets at $76 million. On October 12th they place Little on LTIR, but ZERO benefit is gained.

Why? Because the Jets weren't remotely at the cap. Zero in LTIR savings.

So .... how did TBL manage the opening day roster issue? They had like 15 mil over that day. Or was it 20? :laugh:

Not disagreeing with what you are saying. It matches my understanding. But there appears to be a way of dealing with it.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Plays '22, then walks.

He made a big step forward last season. If he gets dealt to Seattle, as so many suggest, he'd be in the running for captain.

There's a case he should be the captain here. I'm sure he's a major presence in the dressing room & when he speaks his teammates are all ears.

4th round draft pick that made good based off old fashioned work ethic & pure smarts.

Clearly one of the boys being bff's with Troub & Scheifs.

Off season work out animal, coming back to camp bigger, better every year with off the chart cardio levels.

He's earned his pay. Chevy signs him for fair market value or deals him for a very big fish.

He's everything a hockey player should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad