Confirmed with Link: Brenden Dillon for 2 seconds

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are lots of 2nd pairing guys around… you focus on the big need.
Hell, if after getting that filled you still think you need to fill the 2LD role, Zadorov might be available…. I’d take him over Dillon.
Chevy jumped the gun and focused on the wrong need…. Much like his history at 2C

How do you know he focused on the wrong need. He was in on all of Jones and Risto, and is rumored to make an offer to Hamilton.

Sorry but he's clearly been looking at getting an elite RD as well but he can't magically snap his fingers and make Jones or Hamilton want to sign with us.

He saw an opportunity to address another need and made the move and get a know quantity on a pretty favorable contract. Good managers don't just get fixated on one thing and ignore other good opportunities.

Getting Dillion doesn't preclude Chevy from getting a grade A RD if one is available.

You seem to want him to wait until he gets that RD, but what if that doesn't happen and he missed on trading for Dillion or being able to sign the other d you mentioned and now he has nothing to show for it and go into next season with the same old crappy d. That would be a monumental failure.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Your post implies Mo is in the minority of coaches who believe this, whereas as every NHL coach believes this to be true, applying handedness to their pairings game after game, season after season, decade after decade.

Are there players who are exceptions? Sure. But much more often you'll find players switching sides due to roster limitations. The most often used Jets on their weak side have been Beaulieu & Kulikov. It's not because they were better at it, rather its because there was no other competent right shooting option after losing their entire right side (Byfulien, Trouba, Myers) in a single off season.

I don't think my post implies that at all. I'm well aware that an emphasis on handedness is common in the NHL even as it's increasingly accepted overseas. I noted that Maurice is on record with his views on this and he is. Maybe Heinola is the player who changes his mind.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think my post implies that at all. I'm well aware that an emphasis on handedness is common in the NHL even as it's increasingly accepted overseas. I noted that Maurice is on record with his views on this and he is. Maybe Heinola is the player who changes his mind.

The rink is bigger. It's a different game with regards to the time with which one has to react.

Shrink the size of international ice & you'll see all the coaches adjust.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don’t see moving Stanley after exposing DeMelo to protect him in the XD.
Stanley isn’t going anywhere.
One of Heinola or Samberg are going to be traded if anyone is.
1st + Copp + Heinola for ????

But based on the Dillon trade, I’m expecting Chevy to go after a bottom pairing RD
I would think that kind of package would get you a top pairing dman for top 6 forward. Or at least it better.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
This is a great pickup at reasonable cost (compare, eg, Ristolainen), considering Dillon's assets and analytics.
He is the ideal partner for Pionk and I therefore expect Pionk to be signed to an extension very soon.
As another comparitor, Chiarot plays a complimentary LD role on the first pairing at an AAV of $3.5M and Dillon eats his lunch at $3.9M.
With this move, Pionk-Dillon become the Jets first pair, but the burning questions remain:
1) Who is the RHD who will Make Morrissey Great Again
2) Is there a place for Heinola on this team? He MUST be given a chance this season
3) Are 1) and 2 related ?

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I don't agree with his opinion but I take issue with this comment. People are allowed to have their own opinion.

I'm pretty sure your post violates site rules unless something has changed?
Oh come on. If you are that sensitive, time to get off the internet.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
BTW, it's Brenden not Brendon. Might want to edit the thread title.
It bugs me that the search function on eliteprospects requires perfect spelling to return a hit. Search Brendon Dillon and that site will tell you he doesn't exist and won't offer any close matches.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Love the addition to our Blue Line. 3 years at good cap hit, top 4 defenceman that can PK and be a "cycle" breaking type d-man that we are sorely lacking.

I respect other opinions, but 2 second round picks is not too much to give for the quality/term/cap hit received.

Good value here for sure, in my opinion.

Jets 2nd round picks over the past 10 years (GP/Points):

Lucas Sutter 2012 (0/0)
Nic Petan 2013 (136/28)
Eric Comrie 2013 (9GP/3 wins)
Jansen Harkins 2015 (55/9)
Dylan Samberg 2017 (0/0) *Jury still out.....
David Gustafsson 2018 (26/1) Hopefuly 4th liner for Jets?

2019 to current - no games, shall wait and see IF they ever become something....

Simon Lundmark 2019
Daniel Torgersson 2020
Nikita Chibrikov 2021

Dillon for Petan and Harkins?? Dillon for Comrie and Gustafsson? Sign me up! We did NOT give up too much for a top 4, with 3 more years under $4m cap hit. This is gold Jerry, GOLD!

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
How do you know he focused on the wrong need. He was in on all of Jones and Risto, and is rumored to make an offer to Hamilton.

Sorry but he's clearly been looking at getting an elite RD as well but he can't magically snap his fingers and make Jones or Hamilton want to sign with us.

He saw an opportunity to address another need and made the move and get a know quantity on a pretty favorable contract. Good managers don't just get fixated on one thing and ignore other good opportunities.

Getting Dillion doesn't preclude Chevy from getting a grade A RD if one is available.

You seem to want him to wait until he gets that RD, but what if that doesn't happen and he missed on trading for Dillion or being able to sign the other d you mentioned and now he has nothing to show for it and go into next season with the same old crappy d. That would be a monumental failure.
It's difficult to argue with your logic here......although I'm sure someone will have a go.

Reactions: surixon

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Can we get some fancy stats on Morrissey-DeMelo as a pairing so that we have something to compare this ‘fantasy’ RHD coming to save us to...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Oh come on. If you are that sensitive, time to get off the internet.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's too much to ask to have respectful discourse - because it's a damned slippery slope to becoming Facebook.

You might be right. It may be time for me to leave the forums. Maybe I am too sensitive, but I like to consider this forum a place for friends and I for one don't treat my friends like that.

Anyway, I've gone OT way too much already so I'll shut up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad