Confirmed with Link: Brenden Dillon for 2 seconds

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can we get some fancy stats on Morrissey-DeMelo as a pairing so that we have something to compare this ‘fantasy’ RHD coming to save us to...

The pairing the last two years:

50.36 CF% and 50.64 xgf%

So they essentially held serve together. Nothing wrong with them as a top 4 pairing but if you can get an upgrade I think you go for it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not quite understanding why people think the Jets overpaid. Nevermind the insanity of Risto or Jones deals for one year. I think David Savard is a pretty similar level player. Tampa paid a 1st and a 3rd for a couple months of his service at the deadline. I'm willing to bet he gets easily more money in free agency than Dillon.

Maybe I'm missing all the "good value" trades for defensemen that I should be looking at to evaluate this trade.

Fair post. Winnipeg loves a deal I guess. :laugh:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The pairing the last two years:

50.36 CF% and 50.64 xgf%

So they essentially held serve together. Nothing wrong with them as a top 4 pairing but if you can get an upgrade I think you go for it.
I’d like to see WAR chart or something - of morrissey with or without DeMelo and vice versa

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Weird take, not sure how you can declare adding a legit top 4, proven over several NHL years, solves nothing.

And spare us about being fans that fall for all of Chevy's moves are good moves. I think most fans are capable of assessing our trades accurately, even if that means we are in favor of them.

Rather be that fan than the one that has continually attacked every Chevy move regardless of the outcome, and never stands up to say how wrong and out in left field they were when proven wrong which is pretty much most of the time.

We have a very very good GM, some just havent learnt to accept it.

Most neutral fans on the trade board find the trade to be "a bit pricey but overall a good one" for the Jets, just as about all of us on HFJets do so yeah. I don't think it's Jets homer glasses at all.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
How do you know he focused on the wrong need. He was in on all of Jones and Risto, and is rumored to make an offer to Hamilton.

Sorry but he's clearly been looking at getting an elite RD as well but he can't magically snap his fingers and make Jones or Hamilton want to sign with us.

He saw an opportunity to address another need and made the move and get a know quantity on a pretty favorable contract. Good managers don't just get fixated on one thing and ignore other good opportunities.

Getting Dillion doesn't preclude Chevy from getting a grade A RD if one is available.

You seem to want him to wait until he gets that RD, but what if that doesn't happen and he missed on trading for Dillion or being able to sign the other d you mentioned and now he has nothing to show for it and go into next season with the same old crappy d. That would be a monumental failure.

exactly this.

really irks me how fans create these narratives when not only do we have evidence to suggest otherwise, but there are multiple factors out of an organizations control like a player’s preference of location

Reactions: blues10

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The rink is bigger. It's a different game with regards to the time with which one has to react.

Shrink the size of international ice & you'll see all the coaches adjust.

Bigger ice makes a difference -- I played overseas for 3 years. I don't think that's the only factor. There tends to be more fluidity in terms of positioning and greater emphasis on football-style switching in and out of spots in my experience, which perhaps leads to greater familiarity on the part of players and teams.

The only data I've seen on handedness is from NA. Would be interesting to see if there are differences in performance on the bigger ice.

This piece suggests that there's some upside and less downside to playing on the offside than is commonly supposed, especially in situations where playing the best pair, rather than a R/L pair, is preferred.

...the difference in ES GF/60 rates is probably smaller than what we’d estimated above, lending more weight to the argument that playing on your off-hand isn’t necessarily that much of a detriment.

Do defensemen play worse on their off-hand?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Strikes me as a bit odd that everyone is so keen to move one of Samberg/Heinola in a thread where we're discussing the expense, difficulty and possible "overpay" to acquire a top 4 D-man, regardless of hand.

Now I get that we've got a surplus on the left side relatively speaking but at the same time injuries are going to happen and there's no guarantee that either Heinola or Samberg are going to spend appreciable time in the NHL this year (I wish they had appreciable time last year, but that's a different discussion). I certainly can see the bottleneck but I'm not sure it's actually here this year or not.

In most discussions here, most posters would agree that both Heinola and Samberg predict out at their ceiling as 2nd pair defenders. Very different games and bring different aspects to the team, but that's their probable ceiling. While we can't assess their actual ceiling in advance, nor can we assess their failure in advance either. So why the rush to move one out?

I get the likelihood of using one as a sweetener in a Copp trade, but are we really likely to get a #1RHD for Copp and Heinola/Samberg? I think the answer is a pretty resounding no. So what is the likely return? If it's D, the answer is probably a 2nd pairing guy, probably not cost controlled for very long. Even then, it may not even be an RHD. So yeah, they are a potentially enticing add to a trade, but let's be wary about what that return might be.

I see merit in retaining both, at least in the short term, though perhaps one or both may ask to get traded if they feel they're ready and are being blocked. I think one of them will be introduced and probably work their way to being a regular this season due to injuries. Would be a shame to trade them away for the hole they might well fill.

Morrissey-Pionk
DeMelo-Dillon

Not a bad couple of pairs. Third pair is Stanley and other filler. Like others have said, if we stay away from recycled vets maybe we can actually see what we've got.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Noticed he hasnt made any comments yet and his twitter feed still says washington capitals. I wonder if he isnt all that happy to have been traded here.....

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Strikes me as a bit odd that everyone is so keen to move one of Samberg/Heinola in a thread where we're discussing the expense, difficulty and possible "overpay" to acquire a top 4 D-man, regardless of hand.

Now I get that we've got a surplus on the left side relatively speaking but at the same time injuries are going to happen and there's no guarantee that either Heinola or Samberg are going to spend appreciable time in the NHL this year (I wish they had appreciable time last year, but that's a different discussion). I certainly can see the bottleneck but I'm not sure it's actually here this year or not.

In most discussions here, most posters would agree that both Heinola and Samberg predict out at their ceiling as 2nd pair defenders. Very different games and bring different aspects to the team, but that's their probable ceiling. While we can't assess their actual ceiling in advance, nor can we assess their failure in advance either. So why the rush to move one out?

I get the likelihood of using one as a sweetener in a Copp trade, but are we really likely to get a #1RHD for Copp and Heinola/Samberg? I think the answer is a pretty resounding no. So what is the likely return? If it's D, the answer is probably a 2nd pairing guy, probably not cost controlled for very long. Even then, it may not even be an RHD. So yeah, they are a potentially enticing add to a trade, but let's be wary about what that return might be.

I see merit in retaining both, at least in the short term, though perhaps one or both may ask to get traded if they feel they're ready and are being blocked. I think one of them will be introduced and probably work their way to being a regular this season due to injuries. Would be a shame to trade them away for the hole they might well fill.

Morrissey-Pionk
DeMelo-Dillon

Not a bad couple of pairs. Third pair is Stanley and other filler. Like others have said, if we stay away from recycled vets maybe we can actually see what we've got.
I've never seen Samberg play, but I know a lot of reputable posters think he's very good. Heinola on the other hand, looks to me like his ceiling could be top pairing. I just don't see the reasoning behind offering to trade him when we could have a cost controlled top Dman (or close to it) right under our noses.

I really hope that Pomo pairs him up with someone decent this year and lets him get his NHL legs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Morrissey-Pionk
DeMelo-Dillon

I'm only interested in moving one if we get a clear RD upgrade if not I'm fine keeping both for now.

I think you need to move Heinola to the right side on the moose this year and groom him to play with Morrissey long term.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Morrissey-Pionk
DeMelo-Dillon

Good post, much to agree with. I think it's easy to forget how valuable good young prospects/players on ELC contracts are in terms of opening and maintaining contender windows. Murat's latest article has a good summary of the importance of good drafting and cap efficiency in the Jets' 2017-18 run:

But we’re through all of Winnipeg’s top forwards and its top-four defence without a single boat anchor contract. The 2017-18 Jets were just stunning in terms of cap efficiency and the reason they were so efficient, aside from Wheeler’s team-friendly deal, was their success at the draft.

Sure, Heinola and Samberg have a ways to go, and Chisholm etc, have even longer. But losing one or two blue-chippers for a few years of someone like Savard seems like propping up one window while locking closed the next one. The idea that prospects are overvalued has become a kind of maxim on these boards -- to some extent, that's true. Maybe FAs are similarly overvalued in terms of how much impact they're likely to have, especially big-bodied D.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A dead monkey is an upgrade on Forbort.. I never once assumed Forbort was returning so he is irrelevant in this.
I want our kids to get a chance on the L.D, not get blocked, which they are now.
Dillion is basically what we hope Samberg becomes in his prime. And the good thing is he can just keep developing on the Moose and be available when we need him.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Let’s let him talk to his family for 24 hours before we jump to this conclusion
Agreed, players are humans with feelings too. He committed to Washington for 4 years and just a year later gets traded. He’s a professional and understands that it’s a business, but still needs to sink in and be discussed with family. He’l be welcomed here with open arms and will feel appreciated!

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'm only interested in moving one if we get a clear RD upgrade if not I'm fine keeping both for now.

I think you need to move Heinola to the right side on the moose this year and groom him to play with Morrissey long term.

Exactly! If both develop into top 4 or in Heinola’s case top pairing within two years, any return we’re looking at will be that much greater just judging by the cost of defensemen moved over the last several days.

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Good post, much to agree with. I think it's easy to forget how valuable good young prospects/players on ELC contracts are in terms of opening and maintaining contender windows. Murat's latest article has a good summary of the importance of good drafting and cap efficiency in the Jets' 2017-18 run:

But we’re through all of Winnipeg’s top forwards and its top-four defence without a single boat anchor contract. The 2017-18 Jets were just stunning in terms of cap efficiency and the reason they were so efficient, aside from Wheeler’s team-friendly deal, was their success at the draft.

Sure, Heinola and Samberg have a ways to go, and Chisholm etc, have even longer. But losing one or two blue-chippers for a few years of someone like Savard seems like propping up one window while locking closed the next one. The idea that prospects are overvalued has become a kind of maxim on these boards -- to some extent, that's true. Maybe FAs are similarly overvalued in terms of how much impact they're likely to have, especially big-bodied D.

Chevy said the same thing basically over the weekend in off of his press conferences. When looking at the UFA market they weigh the cost versus the cost of giving their own prospects the experience.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Agreed, players are humans with feelings too. He committed to Washington for 4 years and just a year later gets traded. He’s a professional and understands that it’s a business, but still needs to sink in and be discussed with family. He’l be welcomed here with open arms and will feel appreciated!

And if things keep trending upward he has a real shot at winning a cup.

It’s not a coincidence that’s his contract lines up with sheif , helly and wheelers

it’s a 3 year plan now then a retool imo, I’ve been saying this for a couple years now

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dillion is basically what we hope Samberg becomes in his prime. And the good thing is he can just keep developing on the Moose and be available when we need him.
Dillon was playing top pairing with Carlson - him and Pionk are now our top shutdown matchup

This basically gives Morrissey some breathing room to return to form as well. Like everything about this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad