Confirmed with Link: Brenden Dillon for 2 seconds

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Stanley needed Poolman to get Covid, Beaulieu’s shoulder to explode and Sbisa to claimed. That might speak more about Maurice and Huddy’s idea or roster construction than anything else.
Other than the two goal game in the playoffs his results were pretty meh.
His bar was pretty low and I think by merely playing this year we might have over valued what the results actually were.
There was an opportunity and he took full advantage of it, kudos to the kid!
They literally talk about making the most of your "chance". You can find examples of this across the NHL every year.
I think your assessment of his play is off, but that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but I believe that the majority were pleasantly surprised at how well he did perform even though he had a degree if sheltering.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
upload_2021-7-27_17-7-38.png

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
There was an opportunity and he took full advantage of it, kudos to the kid!
They literally talk about making the most of your "chance". You can find examples of this across the NHL every year.
I think your assessment of his play is off, but that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but I believe that the majority were pleasantly surprised at how well he did perform even though he had a degree if sheltering.

It's funny because I remember watching Stanley on the moose and was convinced he would never play in the Nhl. He was easily the worst skater on the ice. Hes really improved a lot. Reminds me of early days Chara.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So .... how did TBL manage the opening day roster issue? They had like 15 mil over that day. Or was it 20? :laugh:

Not disagreeing with what you are saying. It matches my understanding. But there appears to be a way of dealing with it.

It was addressed in a link previously posted.

Since that point in time I found this from December, 2020:

Acquiring Henrik Zetterberg’s contract could help the Tampa Bay Lightning

My main takeaway:

"Option 1 - When the team submits it’s opening night roster, the team sets a roster of 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders that is $500,000 below the $81.5 million salary cap, including the injured player. The team then places the injured player with a $5 million salary cap hit on LTIR. The team’s Cap Space, excluding the player on LTIR, becomes $81 million, but the salary cap charge becomes $76.5 million.

Option 2 - On the last day of training camp, the team has a salary cap charge of $86 million. The team places the injured player with a $5 million salary cap hit on LTIR. The player’s cap hit is subtracted from the team’s salary cap charge to determine the team’s new effective salary cap. The team’s Cap Space, excluding the player on LTIR, comes $81 million, but the team’s salary cap charge is also $81 million."

So it turns out there are two ways LTIR can be used. The one we are all most familiar (spending to the cap without exceeding INCLUDING the player you will then place on LTIR). This has the most financial benefit for any team.

failing that...

On the last day of training camp, the team has a salary cap charge that exceeds the cap, the team can place the injured player on LTIR when the roster is handed in.

The player’s cap hit is subtracted from the team’s salary cap to determine if the team is under the cap ceiling. If so they are placed at the cap ceiling with no later financial reward being gained for that particular transaction.

Tampa Bay employed the second option when they handed in their roster. I can't tell you which combination of Kucherov, Gaborik & Nilsson were placed on LTIR prior to opening day, but it was whatever combination brought the team both under the cap AND as close to it as possible.

But players get injured all the time. As result you don't have to put all your eggs in one basket. You can select which players you place on LTIR and also when.

Once the rosters were handed in Tampa now exercised LTIR option 1 on another player (or combination of) bringing the team under the cap thus creating the ability to add to their roster up to nearly the full value of that contract.

All that is addressed theoretically in the above link which will in the end explains what was actually done.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He made a big step forward last season. If he gets dealt to Seattle, as so many suggest, he'd be in the running for captain.

There's a case he should be the captain here. I'm sure he's a major presence in the dressing room & when he speaks his teammates are all ears.

4th round draft pick that made good based off old fashioned work ethic & pure smarts.

Clearly one of the boys being bff's with Troub & Scheifs.

Off season work out animal, coming back to camp bigger, better every year with off the chart cardio levels.

He's earned his pay. Chevy signs him for fair market value or deals him for a very big fish.

He's everything a hockey player should be.

Updated after the Schmidt acquisition - there isn't enough cap space for both Copp and Pionk right now. Can't use Little's LTIR until after opening day. Have only 16 on the roster. Has to be a trade coming.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Updated after the Schmidt acquisition - there isn't enough cap space for both Copp and Pionk right now. Can't use Little's LTIR until after opening day. Have only 16 on the roster. Has to be a trade coming.

You sign either Pionk or Copp's contract on day one of the regular season, after rosters are handed in.

Problem solved. Been addressed repeatedly in many threads today.

The maximum amount of opening day LTIR we can access would be Little's $5.3 million deal.

I don't think we can get Pionk for that, but we can certainly get Copp for that amount.

Therefore I'll amend my plan from elsewhere to suggest Chevy signs Pionk first, gets right at the cap & instead signs Copp after the rosters are handed in as his contract will certainly not exceed Little's.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You sign either Pionk or Copp's contract on day one of the regular season, after rosters are handed in.

Problem solved. Been addressed repeatedly in many threads today.

With all the moves today, as well as more time to think about this, I've realized the maximum amount of opening day LTIR we can access would be Little's $5.3 million deal.

I don't think we can get Pionk for that, but we can certainly get Copp for that amount.

Therefore I'll amend my plan from elsewhere to suggest Chevy signs Pionk first, gets right at the cap & instead signs Copp after the rosters are handed in as his contract will certainly not exceed Little's.

This also should free up some small change in case injuries strike.

That doesn't work either, unless Pionk signs for about 5 mil. Even then it is very tight. That would leave us with 2.7 mil and 3 players to sign. Stanley at 1.2, leaves just 1.5 and 2 players to add Vesa @.894 and Gus @.817 and we are a little more than 200k over. Even with Copp traded, it doesn't work.

Leave out both Copp and Pionk until the day after the season starts. Fill in the roster with all of the lesser players to get as close as possible to 81.5. Then we come up a little short of 81.5.

I have to suspect that Chevy has something else up his sleeve. Don't know what but these numbers are not working.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
That doesn't work either, unless Pionk signs for about 5 mil. Even then it is very tight. That would leave us with 2.7 mil and 3 players to sign. Stanley at 1.2, leaves just 1.5 and 2 players to add Vesa @.894 and Gus @.817 and we are a little more than 200k over. Even with Copp traded, it doesn't work.

Leave out both Copp and Pionk until the day after the season starts. Fill in the roster with all of the lesser players to get as close as possible to 81.5. Then we come up a little short of 81.5.

I have to suspect that Chevy has something else up his sleeve. Don't know what but these numbers are not working.

Chevy can hand in a 20 man roster with Little's name on, place waiver exempt players making above league minimum on the Moose & then move league minimum salary onto the fourth line.
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.44.38 PM.png

Then on opening day move Little onto LTIR, sign Copp for $4.5, waive Toninato, call up Gus & even with Niku as a scratch have $33,000 in cap space.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.49.58 PM.png
The issue becomes no space for a press box forward & as pointed out leaves no room if/when short term injuries occur which necessitate the need for a call up & the resulting cap ramifications of an extra salary.

We are however once again quite close to a solution, so close the easiest solution would have been the ask for extremely small salary retention in one or both of the Schmidt & Dillon trades.

Being so close to this being reality in so many scenarios, Chevy must have something up his sleeve.

Or there's a trade coming that will make it all balance out. A shame if it is Copp when Chevy is so close to making this all happen without the loss of a core player.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Chevy can hand in a 20 man roster with Little's name on, place waiver exempt players making above league minimum on the Moose & then move league minimum salary onto the fourth line.View attachment 456892

Then on opening day move Little onto LTIR, sign Copp for $4.5, waive Toninato, called up Gus & even with Niku as a scratch have $33,000 in cap space.

View attachment 456895 The issue becomes no space for a press box forward & as pointed out leaves no room if/when short term injuries occur which necessitate the need for a call up & the resulting cap ramifications of an extra salary.

We are however once again quite close to a solution, so close the easiest solution would have been the ask for extremely small salary retention in one or both of the Schmidt & Dillon trades.

Being so close to this being reality in so many scenarios, Chevy must have something up his sleeve.

Or there's a trade coming that will make it all balance out. A shame if it is Copp when Chevy is so close to making this all happen without the loss of a core player.

I'd put money on Copp being traded this off season. I think Chevy is looking to see which teams go hard at Coleman and then maybe offer Copp up to the teams that don't get him once all the dust on FA frenzy clears. Thats when a team will be desperate to plug that hole and Chevy can step in with a solution. We can likely recoup a 2nd+ out of RFA Copp.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It was addressed in a link previously posted.

Since that point in time I found this from December, 2020:

Acquiring Henrik Zetterberg’s contract could help the Tampa Bay Lightning

My main takeaway:

"Option 1 - When the team submits it’s opening night roster, the team sets a roster of 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders that is $500,000 below the $81.5 million salary cap, including the injured player. The team then places the injured player with a $5 million salary cap hit on LTIR. The team’s Cap Space, excluding the player on LTIR, becomes $81 million, but the salary cap charge becomes $76.5 million.

Option 2 - On the last day of training camp, the team has a salary cap charge of $86 million. The team places the injured player with a $5 million salary cap hit on LTIR. The player’s cap hit is subtracted from the team’s salary cap charge to determine the team’s new effective salary cap. The team’s Cap Space, excluding the player on LTIR, comes $81 million, but the team’s salary cap charge is also $81 million."

So it turns out there are two ways LTIR can be used. The one we are all most familiar (spending to the cap without exceeding INCLUDING the player you will then place on LTIR). This has the most financial benefit for any team.

failing that...

On the last day of training camp, the team has a salary cap charge that exceeds the cap, the team can place the injured player on LTIR when the roster is handed in.

The player’s cap hit is subtracted from the team’s salary cap to determine if the team is under the cap ceiling. If so they are placed at the cap ceiling with no later financial reward being gained for that particular transaction.

Tampa Bay employed the second option when they handed in their roster. I can't tell you which combination of Kucherov, Gaborik & Nilsson were placed on LTIR prior to opening day, but it was whatever combination brought the team both under the cap AND as close to it as possible.

But players get injured all the time. As result you don't have to put all your eggs in one basket. You can select which players you place on LTIR and also when.

Once the rosters were handed in Tampa now exercised LTIR option 1 on another player (or combination of) bringing the team under the cap thus creating the ability to add to their roster up to nearly the full value of that contract.

All that is addressed theoretically in the above link which will in the end explains what was actually done.

Very interesting, thanks for the breakdown.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It’s arguable that he’s better and he doesn’t have a contract. I’d bet he’s more expensive.
I dont think there's an argument that Zadorov has been better so far in their careers. He is younger though, so there is always a risk that Dillon falls off a cliff.

To date though, Dillon is straight up better.

Reactions: Sweech and Mathil8

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I dont think there's an argument that Zadorov has been better so far in their careers. He is younger though, so there is always a risk that Dillon falls off a cliff.

To date though, Dillon is straight up better.

Oh I agree completely

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Unless we acquire another RHD I think we go with Heinola at 3RD. Not sure who he plays with.
Could have been with Logan Stanley, but now trading for Nate Schmidt, one of them is left off the roster.
Is enough $$ left to sign Logan? How does Heinola fit in, once again? Chevy brought in a couple more vets so PoMo has his roster set. Never mind hoping to see Samberg show his stuff this year start, too. Big ifs and probably, Not on Heinola & Samberg again.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad