Player Discussion Brendan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I like certain parts of his game. This is a guy that needs the right coach on D. Buek really needs to grill in on the defense for playing soft.

Smith has that edge and the mobility to go along with it.

Smith is a guy that may pair well with Klein with a defined area of play and communication.

Nothing wrong with having a good Mimico boy on the team.

if klein was 100 percent and playing like he did for most of last season that would be a tremendous second pairing in playoffs.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Didnt know we traded for Erik Karlsson at the deadline. Last night Smith carried the puck thru the neutral zone like EK. Damn impressive

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Right now he is playing like a top 3 on our team with McD and Brady. I think AV is probably locked in with Holden as well. So two of Clendo, Kamper, Girardi, Staal, or Klein round out our 6 in the playoffs.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Right now he is playing like a top 3 on our team with McD and Brady. I think AV is probably locked in with Holden as well. So two of Clendo, Kamper, Girardi, Staal, or Klein round out our 6 in the playoffs.

There's no chance Clendening or Kampfer play over those other 3 in the playoffs

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There's no chance Clendening or Kampfer play over those other 3 in the playoffs

You may be right but I see Clendo, Kamp, Staal, Dan, and Klein all around the same level right now. I give Clendo and Kamp a bit of an edge over the other 3 based on youth/speed. Klein also brings some physicality at times.

I view McD-Brady-Smith recent play as our top 3 dmen right now.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You may be right but I see Clendo, Kamp, Staal, Dan, and Klein all around the same level right now. I give Clendo and Kamp a bit of an edge over the other 3 based on youth/speed. Klein also brings some physicality at times.

I view McD-Brady-Smith recent play as our top 3 dmen right now.

If McDonagh can keep playing on the right, it makes sense to try this:

Skjei-McDonagh
Staal-Smith
Holden-Klein/Girardi/Clendening/Kampfer

That top pairing is very nice, very mobile. I don't know if Skjei can take those minutes yet but playing with McDonagh should mitigate at least some of that.
Staal should be on the 3rd pairing. If Klein ever comes back at 100% then I think a Staal-Klein 3rd pairing should be great.

There isn't a lot of flexibility with this defense and that's what makes this a tough out. I have to believe that Girardi will get sparing use when he comes back. With Smith in the fold, Girardi shouldn't be used any higher than the 2nd pairing, preferably the 3rd pairing. If He HAS to play, then i expect to see this:

McDonagh-Smith
Staal-Holden
Skjei-Girardi

Skjei has reached a point where he should be able to carry Girardi

Honestly, I do not like Kampfer, as I think Clendening is a better player.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People have no idea what "hockey IQ" is anymore and just use it to complain whenever someone makes a mistake, and yes every player makes a lot of mistakes no matter how good they are

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If McDonagh can keep playing on the right, it makes sense to try this:

Skjei-McDonagh
Staal-Smith
Holden-Klein/Girardi/Clendening/Kampfer

That top pairing is very nice, very mobile. I don't know if Skjei can take those minutes yet but playing with McDonagh should mitigate at least some of that.
Staal should be on the 3rd pairing. If Klein ever comes back at 100% then I think a Staal-Klein 3rd pairing should be great.

There isn't a lot of flexibility with this defense and that's what makes this a tough out. I have to believe that Girardi will get sparing use when he comes back. With Smith in the fold, Girardi shouldn't be used any higher than the 2nd pairing, preferably the 3rd pairing. If He HAS to play, then i expect to see this:

McDonagh-Smith
Staal-Holden
Skjei-Girardi

Skjei has reached a point where he should be able to carry Girardi

Honestly, I do not like Kampfer, as I think Clendening is a better player.

I think Kampfer and Clendo are both playing well enough. Staal and Girardi...eh...and Klein we'll see.

Thing is that some of these guys may not click together. McD and Skjei are probably better off on different pairing. They both bring speed and some offense. Better to pair them with a guy who can back that up and let them pinch or take some risks.

It might not work for the same reason Nash - Richards - Gabby didn't work. The three-headed monster was nice in theory, but little real chemistry. Asking Skjei to carry Girardi is a tall order. McDonagh has been the backbone of the McD-G pair, and even he has struggled.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
People have no idea what "hockey IQ" is anymore and just use it to complain whenever someone makes a mistake, and yes every player makes a lot of mistakes no matter how good they are

Smith is like that great girl on Seinfeld that for some reason everyone around Jerry thinks there's something really wrong with...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Hey guys, Wings fan here. Just curious how Brendan Smith has been since the trade? I've always though Wings fans gave I'm way too much **** and I hope he is able to succeed elsewhere.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Hey guys, Wings fan here. Just curious how Brendan Smith has been since the trade? I've always though Wings fans gave I'm way too much **** and I hope he is able to succeed elsewhere.

He's a decent #4 - he has some serious brain farts with the puck but I like the little bit of snarl he brings to the back end and I like his passing. I'd sign him if I were the NYR.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I really like Smiths snarl. He is our guy that puts guys down infront of our goalie instead of just standing next to them. We need that.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

literally our 2nd best D and it'll be the most NYR thing ever if we don't re-sign him.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's a decent #4 - he has some serious brain farts with the puck but I like the little bit of snarl he brings to the back end and I like his passing. I'd sign him if I were the NYR.

Pretty much this. If the price is right and we can find a spot for him, I wouldn't be opposed to signing him. Just depends on how the blue line shakes out after the season.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
If we can land a solid righty to partner with Mcd and then keep Smith around, I think we're good. Doesn't solve our girardi/staal issues, though.

McD, new RHD, Skjei, Smith, Klein/Girardi as a bottom pairing righty, and maybe Graves coming in... should be decent. Not sure on Holden, who I don't dislike either. Really need to move some ppl though.

Edit: just to be clear, I'd like no Girardi. I just recognize how that'll be hard to achieve so I'm playing with what I think our roster will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad