Injury Report: Brendan Smith placed on IR (hurt in fight..)

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'm seeing my first live Wings game in Winnipeg. More excited now because I've always liked Almqvist as a prospect.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
do all our guys really get hurt every time or is this just ken holland's cap management? :sarcasm:

the way smith has been playing so far, this is really not a loss at all. pretty sad somehow.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Smith has been awful. Can't believe they spent all those years developing him and wasted it.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Hey, it's too bad Kronwall doesn't drop the gloves more often to prove his manliness, eh?

which leads to the question why smith was willing to fight seconds before the final buzzer. there was no reason to drop the gloves. unless he wanted to prove he can fight and help the team this way from time to time. but that didn't work well.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Smith has had a hell of a go with his pro career so far. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in a trade package at the deadline. He's still young enough and has enough potential that he'll pique some GM's interest. Probably more so than most Wings fans think.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Too bad for Smith. He's been mostly a frustrating player for a while now, and it's sometimes difficult to remain patient, but I think it's too early to try to get rid of him, especially since he has very little value right now. Defenseman usually take a while to develop and some take a very long time; there's still some upside there with Smith. I like the idea of giving him more time to realize it than dumping him for low-value plugs, mediocre prospects, and/or low-round picks.

mod

Last edited by a moderator:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
which leads to the question why smith was willing to fight seconds before the final buzzer. there was no reason to drop the gloves. unless he wanted to prove he can fight and help the team this way from time to time. but that didn't work well.

It's pretty obvious that Smith is floundering at this point. He takes 3 penalties in a 5-0 blowout victory where he doesn't even get his name on the scoresheet. I'm guessing a lot of that fight had to do with Smith's building frustration and there were surely plenty of willing dancing partners on the demoralized Oilers squad.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

He pretty much had to after acting like a tough guy to Yakupov. I was annoyed for him roughing up Yakupov at that point in the game and it was just asking for someone like Ben Eager to take a run at a player like 13, 40, or 21.

As for the injury, I never like to hear of a player getting injured. I hope he's alright and it's nothing significant.

With that being said, I think Detroit improves with him taking a break because his play as been awful. I predicted he'd have a breakout year this season and boy was I wrong. He's gotten worse and no it's not Quincey's fault. Smith is just a liability who gets caught out of position, takes bad penalties, and handles the puck like a defensive defenceman for a guy who's offensive game is supposed to be his calling card. He's just not a very smart player right now and every time he's on the ice you have to hold your breath. When E returns I'm comfortable with:

Kronwall-E/DD
Quincey-E/DD
Lashoff-Kindl

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Smith has been awful. Can't believe they spent all those years developing him and wasted it.

He's definitely had a tough start to his career, but he's had a total of three years in the AHL and NHL. "All those years of developing him"? He came out of college at 21.

He's done well at all levels except the NHL, that is the next step for him. He needs to be paired with the right defenseman and played in the right situation to really show what he is capable of. Babcock is obviously trying to challenge him to play better defensively. He could easily be sheltered and play on the PP and be paired with Kronner or something, but that doesn't develop him.

I'm not ready to write him off.

It was a dumb decision by both parties. Smith was having a brutal game and I guess he thought this is one way of "redeeming" himself (not much redemption, but still).

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
With all the kids we have younger than Smith that are either currently better than he is or capable of being better by the time they're 24: DeKeyser, Lashoff, XO, AA, Sproul, ect. It may be time to give up on Smith. I still think he can be a good dman, but by the time he finally reaches his remaining potential he'll be around 26. We will have enough top 4 caliber dmen from within our organization by that time he'll end up as Kindl 2. I'd like to see him traded while he still has some value.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Figures the same day I make a post saying let's make it to Nov 15th without any injuries, someone new gets put on IR :shakehead

Let's hope he doesn't make it to LTIR. This revolving door is a joke :help:

I hate these loopholes that prevent Ken Holland from having to do his job.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With all the kids we have younger than Smith that are either currently better than he is or capable of being better by the time they're 24: DeKeyser, Lashoff, XO, AA, Sproul,

The only one of those players you listed that I would say we know for sure is better than Smith, is Dekeyser.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Figures the same day I make a post saying let's make it to Nov 15th without any injuries, someone new gets put on IR :shakehead

Let's hope he doesn't make it to LTIR. This revolving door is a joke :help:

I hate these loopholes that prevent Ken Holland from having to do his job.

All teams have injuries. Detroit is older than most teams.

Is it possible Holland has a genius actuarial scientist working on his hands who said... statistically the odds of injuries indicate you will need 16 forwards for 14 spots as 2 will always be injured.

GENIUS HOLLAND, GENIUS!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@HeleneStJames 41s
#RedWings have put D Brendan Smith on IR (injured in fight at EDM), called up Adam Almqvist to play Monday at Winnipeg.

Hopefully Almqvist plays well. If I'm a Winnipeg forward I'm licking my lips thinking I get to go after that guy on the forecheck.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
AA can't be worse than Smith has been for some time now...

Wonder why they picked AA over XO though...

They are probably doing the same thing they did win forwards last year. Call a few up and see what you've got.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They are probably doing the same thing they did win forwards last year. Call a few up and see what you've got.

If anyone really impresses though, I hope they aren't sent back down just because.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad