Injury Report: Brendan Smith placed on IR (hurt in fight..)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Quincey gets more lost than him on the regular, so never having seen one? It happens every night.

Red Wings D-man who got lost the most in his own zone in the entire time I have been watching this team is Paul Coffey. Even though he was traded, it helps that at least when he was in the lineup the coaching staff decided, lets let him play offense and be himself. I know easier to do with Coffey, but Bowman even gave Mathieu Dandenault a bigger green light than Smith has, it is infuriating.

coffey single-handedly ruined the leftwing-lock.. esp. against avs in that infamous series 17 years ago.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 24s
Smith said his shoulder felt good. He expects to be ready for Tuesday's game vs. Winnipeg, when he can come off short term IR

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 17m
Brendan Smith was back on the ice today. Said his shoulder feels good and he should be able to play this weekend.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Guys just wondering how it is you know that Babcock is telling Smith not to play offense. By his lack of production? What do you think Babcock is telling him exactly? "Don't ever put the puck on net, and don't pass to anyone who's in scoring position"? Smith pinches from time to time. He's playing in the offensive zone. He's not keeping Howard company 24/7. Is his lack of production REALLY due to Babcock's command? Or are his offensive skills simply not translating to the NHL?

I mean obviously some of that blame lies on his linemates. Once in a while it would be nice for a secondary forward to score a goal after Smith touched the puck. But for a guy with supposedly as much talent as he has, he should be making it happen from time to time anyway.

I really really don't think Babcock is going to get mad at him if he starts putting up points. You guys are putting too much stock on the defense-first mindset. Sure it's probably a contributing factor, but I doubt it's as big a deal as you make it out.

He has one point. ONE.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Guys just wondering how it is you know that Babcock is telling Smith not to play offense. By his lack of production? What do you think Babcock is telling him exactly? "Don't ever put the puck on net, and don't pass to anyone who's in scoring position"? Smith pinches from time to time. He's playing in the offensive zone. He's not keeping Howard company 24/7. Is his lack of production REALLY due to Babcock's command? Or are his offensive skills simply not translating to the NHL?

He has the 2nd lowest On-Ice Sh% on the team at 5.80, he has played 33 SECONDS on the PP this year & at even strength he has played with Quincey, Cleary, Weiss, Bertuzzi & Alfredsson the most. Those 5 players have combined for 22 points at ES this year, I'm unsure of the numbers at the time of Smith's injury but I know for a fact that Bertuzzi wasn't producing when Smith was playing.

Ken Holland said:
"In pro hockey, you have to play safe. Young players need to learn that. He plays physical, plays with an edge and can fight. Sometimes when you compete, it backfires and the other team has a chance to score. We think he can develop into a top-four defenseman. The coach has a lot of confidence in him. He can be a minute-muncher."

I mean obviously some of that blame lies on his linemates. Once in a while it would be nice for a secondary forward to score a goal after Smith touched the puck. But for a guy with supposedly as much talent as he has, he should be making it happen from time to time anyway.

I know there is a quote out there from either Holland or Babcock that talks about how they told Smith to keep it simple last year & not to focus on his offensive side of the game. It was over the Summer IIRC. Smith has shown that when he is confident in his offensive game he will use it but we have seldomly seen in at the NHL level. He's still going to have to figure out how and when to use his offensive skills but most defenceman don't hit their stride until their mid to late twenties.

I really really don't think Babcock is going to get mad at him if he starts putting up points. You guys are putting too much stock on the defense-first mindset. Sure it's probably a contributing factor, but I doubt it's as big a deal as you make it out.

He has one point. ONE.

I'm not sure why the rope is so short with defenceman. Defenceman take a long time to adjust to the NHL, there are exceptions but generally it takes a couple of seasons. Most of us wanted Kindl & Ericsson moved after they went through their adjustment period and if we did that we would be upset that Holland gave up on those 2 too early.

Smith has come up at a younger age than both of them and has been asked to do far more then either of them were asked to do at the same age. If Smith is still making the same mistakes in 2 years time & not putting up points then it's time to get worried.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
But for a guy with supposedly as much talent as he has, he should be making it happen from time to time anyway.

My thoughts exactly. He's had chances to produce, but hasn't. And you can argue he should get more chances, and that's fair, but the fact remains he hasn't done anything stand above the rest of the pack in a single regard, including Kindl and DeKeyser.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

It's a combination of both. Babcock has publicly stated in the past that he wants Smith focusing on being responsible and concentrating on his own end. Which naturally comes at the expense of some offense. Having watched the kid in college, there is no doubt he isn't asserting himself offensively as much as he can. However, the offense he does try to provide just isn't panning out either.

It's not about whether he puts up points or doesn't. It's about how much he's focusing on his own end. If he plays the way Babcock wants and still manages to put up points, the coach isn't going to be mad at him. However, if he starts neglecting his own end in the interest of producing more offense, Babs will surely be displeased.

It's of course possible to do well at both ends.... be responsible in the defensive zone, and produce in the offensive zone. But, at the same time, those two parts of the game are very connected. And unless a guy is super talented, or super experienced, or some combination of both, one is going to come at the expense of the other.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
except he gets caught pinching in all the time. maybe he's supposed to focus on defensive positioning but its not like he's actually doing it.

offensively, he's been a little unlucky. but he's had some chances and just failed to bury them. takes a lot of shots into the goalies midsection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad