Value of: Brendan Lemieux

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
There has been a lot of chatter around the league on Kreider....but in all fairness as a Bruins fan, I would much prefer them to add a guy like Toffoli and Brendan Lemieux vs Kreider at his estimated price tag.

What does it cost to land BL

Bruins trade
JFK
4th round (conditional if he resigns perhaps a 3)

for

Rangers
Brendan Lemieux

Given the Bruins need grit on the bottom two lines for a playoff run and a top six this would address that need.

Any thoughts?

I don't think there would be any interest in JFK.
Lemieux is worth much more to the Rangers.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And that's why we're not moving him. His actual trade value is probably 2nd + Prospect. But unless it's a very good prospects offered, I don't think we need to move him yet. He's an RFA, so contract demands can play into settling for actual market value on him.
I don't understand why this concept is so foreign to some people. You'd think that fans would be educated enough to understand this. I guess not.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Lemieux is far from untouchable but there’s just no reason for the Rangers to trade him barring a stupid overpayment. He provides something the Rangers need badly, is cost controlled and won’t break the bank to keep. There’s just no reason to move him unless the offer wowed. Rangers ideally would clone him and be a better team. Losing him would hurt.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I see yet another poster doesn't understand the concept of an over-payment being required.

You can feel free to not trade for him. We will gladly keep him.
Agreed. The Rangers would only trade him for a price no one would pay. Which is why he isn't going anywhere....and I'm sure the Rangers are perfectly content there.

I'm sure no one is ponying up a 1st round pick for him, but why would the Rangers accept a 2nd rounder for him? What does that do for them? Lemeuix is cost controlled and provides them something they sorely need and can't really find elsewhere.

To be honest, I doubt the Rangers would trade him straight up for a 1st rounder. He basically was one a number of years ago and now he's maturing into a valuable player. Why start the process over on an unknown?

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Agreed. The Rangers would only trade him for a price no one would pay. Which is why he isn't going anywhere....and I'm sure the Rangers are perfectly content there.

I'm sure no one is ponying up a 1st round pick for him, but why would the Rangers accept a 2nd rounder for him? What does that do for them? Lemeuix is cost controlled and provides them something they sorely need and can't really find elsewhere.

To be honest, I doubt the Rangers would trade him straight up for a 1st rounder. He basically was one a number of years ago and now he's maturing into a valuable player. Why start the process over on an unknown?
While I understand the opinion, a GM would be dumb to not take a first round pick for Lemeiux. He is a decent 3rd line player. He won't top 30 points this year, and is getting about 13 minutes a game. He is also in the bottom third of the team for corsi and other metrics. Yes he hits, but you can sign a bottom six grinder for 2 mil a year to provide similar production.

A GM takes a chance on getting a top six talent in the first compared to Lemieux.

However, I understand why a GM might say no to a mid to late second rounder. But a first? They have to accept

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
While I understand the opinion, a GM would be dumb to not take a first round pick for Lemeiux. He is a decent 3rd line player. He won't top 30 points this year, and is getting about 13 minutes a game. He is also in the bottom third of the team for corsi and other metrics. Yes he hits, but you can sign a bottom six grinder for 2 mil a year to provide similar production.

A GM takes a chance on getting a top six talent in the first compared to Lemieux.

However, I understand why a GM might say no to a mid to late second rounder. But a first? They have to accept

No, you can't. You are underselling Lemieux's value. He's shooting a very low SH% this season, as well, and he's not going to play 82 games. With his career SH over an 82 game pace, he'd be on pace for 34 points in his first full season as an NHL'er. He'll probably score about 40 points next season with a bigger role. And as you said, he's only playing 13 minutes per game, and usually doesn't play with the best linemates either. He's much more of a middle six forward than a bottom six forward, and you absolutely cannot sign a similar player for 2M in UFA.

Reactions: qq

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Lemieux's a 3rd/4th line pest with grit, heart and hustle plus is still young enough that he could develop into a 3rd liner. Lemieux would require an overpayment and he's not the sort of player teams overpay for. Forsbacka Karlsson has little value, even though his numbers in the AHL and NHL weren't terrible.

Reactions: bl02

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not interested in trading Lemiuex in the slightest.

He shouldnt even be on the 4th line, much better player then that just coming back from an injury though.

Reactions: Shootertooter

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
No, you can't. You are underselling Lemieux's value. He's shooting a very low SH% this season, as well, and he's not going to play 82 games. With his career SH over an 82 game pace, he'd be on pace for 34 points in his first full season as an NHL'er. He'll probably score about 40 points next season with a bigger role. And as you said, he's only playing 13 minutes per game, and usually doesn't play with the best linemates either. He's much more of a middle six forward than a bottom six forward, and you absolutely cannot sign a similar player for 2M in UFA.
Noel Acciari, Richard Panik, and Pat Maroon were all signed this past offseason for around 2 million a year. And those weren't deals that kept them with a team. They all produce similarly to Brendan, although they may not be quite as physical (Maroon otherwise).

If you like Lemieux as a pest similar to Roussel, who can play a hard game but isnt really a top 6 talent, thats fine. But for actually impact on the ice, you can find players that are similar to Lemieux's current production in free agency for around 2 million.

If you think he will become a Ferland type of player, which will require him taking major offensive strides, then he will be worth more. But he doesnt play a top 6 game, and current is a bottom six player. He has 11 EV points. Thats the same as Kyle Okposo and Austin Watson. Those are bottom six forwards.

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
There has been a lot of chatter around the league on Kreider....but in all fairness as a Bruins fan, I would much prefer them to add a guy like Toffoli and Brendan Lemieux vs Kreider at his estimated price tag.

What does it cost to land BL

Bruins trade
JFK
4th round (conditional if he resigns perhaps a 3)

for

Rangers
Brendan Lemieux

Given the Bruins need grit on the bottom two lines for a playoff run and a top six this would address that need.

Any thoughts?
You could have at least offered Trent Frederic and the pick. I'm still not sure I'd accept but at least I wouldn't block your phone number.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

He's the closest thing to Sean Avery for us since Sean Avery which is to say he's an absolute dick to play against. He's also been decent dropping the gloves and he's going to get better. I see him as a 3rd liner but also an identity player and he's cost controlled. This guy is going to be the perfect 3rd liner for us some day. He's pretty good at it now. I don't want to trade him. I wish we could clone him at least a couple more times. Find your own asshole. He's ours.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
NY isnt trading him unless it's a big overpay. His value can't be quantified in a trade from a team that is relatively soft up front.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
He's the closest thing to Sean Avery for us since Sean Avery which is to say he's an absolute dick to play against. He's also been decent dropping the gloves and he's going to get better. I see him as a 3rd liner but also an identity player and he's cost controlled. This guy is going to be the perfect 3rd liner for us some day. He's pretty good at it now. I don't want to trade him. I wish we could clone him at least a couple more times. Find your own *******. He's ours.
I once said I wouldnt trade Patrick Kaleta for a 2nd round pick because I loved the way he played on my team. I totally get why Ranger fans are in love with Lemieux. When you have a pest that can play some decent hockey... its an auto fan favorite.

With that being said, he isn't worth a first round pick. Even if he is a fan favorite - the value of a first is higher than his.

You replace Lemieux name with any other player in the league with similar production, and you wouldn't trade a late first for them. However, I dont blame any Ranger fans for wanting their guy. Its what we as fans do.

My team had Lemieux once..... but we trade any potential talent we have to other groups for their trash. So I dont get to enjoy him on my team lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad