Prospect Info: Brendan Lemieux

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
But there really isn't a limiting lack of skills with Lemiuex that would put up a tight ceiling. He skates well, has a good shot and has always shown a knack for scoring. The knock on him was always his ability to play with an edge and keep his emotions in check. He seems to have figured that out with some maturity.
That’s fair in that he is a more skilled player than Tanev but I think you’re underselling the knocks on him. He was always a goal scorer at every level but even in junior, he never really made his teammates better or was a particularly good distributor. There is a place for a pure goal scorer at the NHL level, absolutely, but if we’re actually taking his goals this season into account, it’s a lot of shots from bad angles, off the defenceman’s foot and going to the net hard and get a rebound. I’ll take any goals we can get but aside from the going to the net part, these aren’t the type of goals that are sustainable long term. All the while he has the lowest CF% of forwards on the team and is a disaster positionally.

He’s a simple dump and chase guy at this point in his career and it’s lead to him scoring nine goals. Good for him, but I’m not reading too far into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That’s fair in that he is a more skilled player than Tanev but I think you’re underselling the knocks on him. He was always a goal scorer at every level but even in junior, he never really made his teammates better or was a particularly good distributor. There is a place for a pure goal scorer at the NHL level, absolutely, but if we’re actually taking his goals this season into account, it’s a lot of shots from bad angles, off the defenceman’s foot and going to the net hard and get a rebound. I’ll take any goals we can get but aside from the going to the net part, these aren’t the type of goals that are sustainable long term. All the while he has the lowest CF% of forwards on the team and is a disaster positionally.

He’s a simple dump and chance guy at this point in his career and it’s lead to him scoring nine goals. Good for him, but I’m not reading too far into it.

I'd lean on a more positive angle and say that he's not your typical high skill goal scorer but he is the type of player that can make things happen based on his style of play.
- He's hard to play against - everyone hates him. That's a plus - especially in the PO's
- He goes to the net - doesn't sound like much but nobody else on this team is willing to do it (including Lowry). Going to the net will result in goals and can be really important when playing a hot goalie who need to be bumped off his game.
- He can shoot the puck - he's shown the ability to score goals outside of what you describe (bad angles, fluks).
- He's a good skater - important stuff. He's also fast as he's proven in the Jets skills comp.
- He's shown the ability to grow his game - he's getting better - some of our higher profile players actually seem to be getting worse so this ability shouldn't be discounted.

Sometimes it comes down to glass half full / empty.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
But there really isn't a limiting lack of skills with Lemiuex that would put up a tight ceiling. He skates well, has a good shot and has always shown a knack for scoring. The knock on him was always his ability to play with an edge and keep his emotions in check. He seems to have figured that out with some maturity.

I think his IQ is a pretty hard ceiling -- and I was a fan of his play and team in juniors. Not a playmaker, poor defensively, poor positionally, poor at reading the play. He's a bit like a worse E Kane. Maybe he gets to an Appleton level of all-roundedness, but nothing in his history really suggests even that. Would be good to see that though, as I think he's around for the long haul now.

Reactions: AKAChip

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think his IQ is a pretty hard ceiling -- and I was a fan of his play and team in juniors. Not a playmaker, poor defensively, poor positionally, poor at reading the play. He's a bit like a worse E Kane. Maybe he gets to an Appleton level of all-roundedness, but nothing in his history really suggests even that. Would be good to see that though, as I think he's around for the long haul now.
I like them both equally. But you realize 1 was drafted basically in the 1st round and the other in the 6th.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He's showing a lot of progress - who knows where that will take him.
I'm not calling Lemmy's ceiling yet.
I hope he keeps proving us wrong

I'm not saying what his ceiling is, I'm just saying he's done nothing to suggest he is or will be a top 6 winger so far. Appleton outscored him in the AHL last year and in the NHL this year, and no one is calling him a future top 6 winger. They both look like good depth wingers, which is useful. If they become more, fantastic.

I realize you didn't make the comment but that response was to the thought of Brendan Lemieux being any sort of factor in trading Ehlers.

He has 9 goals and 2 assists in 39 games, and he's shooting 28%. He'll need to start generating more offense while playing against weaker lines to make me believe he has top 6 upside.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not saying what his ceiling is, I'm just saying he's done nothing to suggest he is or will be a top 6 winger so far. Appleton outscored him in the AHL last year and in the NHL this year, and no one is calling him a future top 6 winger. They both look like good depth wingers, which is useful. If they become more, fantastic.

I realize you didn't make the comment but that response was to the thought of Brendan Lemieux being any sort of factor in trading Ehlers.

He has 9 goals and 2 assists in 39 games, and he's shooting 28%. He'll need to start generating more offense while playing against weaker lines to make me believe he has top 6 upside.

Let's wait and see - I'm not promoting him to top 6th at this point either.

I seen the comment on Ehlers - I can see why one might jump on that ;)

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Lemmy has been great. Many of this forum wanted his head, wanted him sent down, wanted him benched, he cant not take penaltys etc.
Now our 4th has been awesome and hes a big part of it. We needed that grit and now most of you got egg all over your faces lol

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lemmy has been great. Many of this forum wanted his head, wanted him sent down, wanted him benched, he cant not take penaltys etc.
Now our 4th has been awesome and hes a big part of it. We needed that grit and now most of you got egg all over your faces lol

Yeah, he's been killing it, for sure.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lemieux has been killing it? What are you guys watching? the boxcar stats and not the actual game? thats the only thing that makes sense. Lemieux plays like he's the only one out there. He's lower IQ than Tanev probably a little better hands in tight, but my god he doesn't do anything except try to drag the puck to the net, screw anything and everyone else. Does he have an actual goal where he didn't bank it in or the puck hit him and go in?

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Lemieux has been killing it? What are you guys watching? the boxcar stats and not the actual game? thats the only thing that makes sense. Lemieux plays like he's the only one out there. He's lower IQ than Tanev probably a little better hands in tight, but my god he doesn't do anything except try to drag the puck to the net, screw anything and everyone else. Does he have an actual goal where he didn't bank it in or the puck hit him and go in?
I like how you rant about how bad lemiuex is and calling out people who aren’t trashing him on not actually watching him play then you go on to question how he is scoring his goals.

Clearly you haven’t been watching him play if you think all his goals are coming from him tipping the puck or it hitting him.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I like how you rant about how bad lemiuex is and calling out people who aren’t trashing him on not actually watching him play then you go on to question how he is scoring his goals.

Clearly you haven’t been watching him play if you think all his goals are coming from him tipping the puck or it hitting him.
Please inform me then. hah. He's scored a couple of wraparounds. He's defelected 2 or 3. At least one touching him (yesterday, I was 3o feet away from the goal). He scored a goal that was already going in. He's scored 2 complete fluke banks. Or were they all wicked snipes? I can't remember because I don't watch him play.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Please inform me then. hah. He's scored a couple of wraparounds. He's defelected 2 or 3. At least one touching him (yesterday, I was 3o feet away from the goal). He scored a goal that was already going in. He's scored 2 complete fluke banks. Or were they all wicked snipes? I can't remember because I don't watch him play.
I Find it funny you question if he has scored any goals that weren’t tipped (this is a skill btw) or ones that hit him then go on to answer your question in your rebuttal post.

I saw in another thread that you say the jets have better options than lemiuex, my guess is you see one of them as Petan.

Funny thing about Petan is 20% of his career NHL goals he got when the puck bounced of his skate and went in the net.

It doesn’t matter what lemiuex does because you have your mind made up that you don’t like him so you will always ignore the good and blow the bad way out of proportion.

Reactions: Flair Hay

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I Find it funny you question if he has scored any goals that weren’t tipped (this is a skill btw) or ones that hit him then go on to answer your question in your rebuttal post.

I saw in another thread that you say the jets have better options than lemiuex, my guess is you see one of them as Petan.

Funny thing about Petan is 20% of his career NHL goals he got when the puck bounced of his skate and went in the net.

It doesn’t matter what lemiuex does because you have your mind made up that you don’t like him so you will always ignore the good and blow the bad way out of proportion.
Probably more than 20% since 20% of his nhl goals is 1 goal.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

I named the options. Why are you going on about Petan like that has anything to do with my posts. THat's a dishonest way to debate. You don't get just make up what I didn't say and treat it like fact.

If you watnt to talk about Petan, he has out performed Lemieux at every level, by a lot. What exactly is your issue here? If you want to try and make your argument that I don't know anything about hockey, I would recommend another line.

So Lemieux goals are good goals. If I actually gave a shit if you or thought you were actually interested in facts I would go and find links to all of Lemiuex's goals this year, but you aren't. Your last statement has made that obvious. You have stated I can't actually say Lemieux is bad because I have some desire to believe Lemieux is bad when he's not. hah. I am not you. I don't work like that. At all. I'll just end this discussion here and we can move on. I don't get involved with people who aren't actually interested in discovery.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Seems like you lack an ability to assess his game without being ignorant towards exactly how difficult it is to score goals in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: probablywrongbut

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Lemieux has zero primary assists this year.

Since Ehlers went down and that 4th line of Lemieux-Copp-Appleton was put together, Brendan Lemieux has a 40% shooting percentage. Their Corsi share has been pretty bad too (although Copp's is better than team average - no one on the team is >50% CF% since Ehlers went down).

Reactions: pucka lucka

Whileee

May 29, 2010
download (6).png

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Lemieux has zero primary assists this year.

Since Ehlers went down and that 4th line of Lemieux-Copp-Appleton was put together, Brendan Lemieux has a 40% shooting percentage. Their Corsi share has been pretty bad too (although Copp's is better than team average - no one on the team is >50% CF% since Ehlers went down).
guy playing in his 1st year and only 40 games played has 9 goals on the 4th line with limited minutes. that's 9 goals in 40 games and not having a primary assist means what exactly.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
guy playing in his 1st year and only 40 games played has 9 goals on the 4th line with limited minutes. that's 9 goals in 40 games and not having a primary assist means what exactly.

It is a peculiar stat. As is a 40% shooting percentage. The interpretation is up to the reader. To me, it means temper my expectations of the kid.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Lemieux-Copp-Appleton, 2018-19 @ 5v5: 110 minutes

CF%: 44.44
SF%: 41.90
GF%: 88.89 (what #1)
HDCF%: 50.00

OISH%: 18.18 (what #2)
SV%: 98.36 (what #3)

The boys must be on some four-leaf clover based diet, because what the actual hell are those percentages?

Reactions: MardyBum

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Lemieux-Copp-Appleton, 2018-19 @ 5v5: 110 minutes

CF%: 44.44
SF%: 41.90
GF%: 88.89 (what #1)
HDCF%: 50.00

OISH%: 18.18 (what #2)
SV%: 98.36 (what #3)

The boys must be on some four-leaf clover based diet, because what the actual hell are those percentages?

Good god! :biglaugh: Those are insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad