Prospect Info: Brendan Lemieux

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're first paragraph is kinda silly. I've been a part of five championships as a player and those players can be integral part of a winning team. None of them intended to hurt anyone, but effective pests help teams win. They were all good guys off the ice but effective at their craft on the ice. All sports have atheletes that try to gain an edge, all of them! Doesn't mean they all have no honour. I guess you can't watch any soccer then with all the cheating going on?

I recognize the role of the pests. I even enjoy watching what they do sometimes, as long as they aren't doing it to my team. To a point. The line appears fine sometimes. To me. I don't want to be either self-righteous or hypocritical. But I can recognize way over the line when I see it.

Brad Marchand is way over the line. He is an animal. He doesn't even understand why he is in trouble or criticized for what he does. He has a hurt look on his face when he gets punished. He goes too far. Way too far.

As I recall. Claude Lemieux was even worse.

I liked when Lemieux (jr) came to the defense of a teammate in his short stint with the Jets. I forget the exact circumstances. I'm quite willing to give him a chance.

Earlier in his career, he was penalized and suspended for actions that crossed the line. More recently, I think he has been better. He got into some trouble for things he may have said to referees. But I don't think there have been any recent examples of the slewfoots or other recklessly dangerous incidents of earlier.

He needs to control his temper to avoid the 'unsportsmanlike' calls. He needs to draw more penalties than he takes. If he can get under opponents skin, make them lose their tempers, without crossing that fine line I'm happy with that. Like I said, I don't expect choirboys.

My first paragraph was not silly. It was about things more important than a hockey game. I'm dead serious when I say that the manner of winning is important, more important than the prize itself. Whether in recreation or any other aspect of life. It just comes down to the old question of whether or not the end justifies the means. I believe it does not. You are free to disagree, of course.

When Lester Pearson won the Nobel Peace Prize he stated that he never strove to win awards but he always strove to deserve them. He was not the first man to say that but he is the one I remember. I always admired that attitude.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I recognize the roll of the pests. I even enjoy watching what they do sometimes, as long as they aren't doing it to my team. To a point. The line appears fine sometimes. To me. I don't want to be either self-righteous or hypocritical. But I can recognize way over the line when I see it.

Brad Marchand is way over the line. He is an animal. He doesn't even understand why he is in trouble or criticized for what he does. He has a hurt look on his face when he gets punished. He goes too far. Way too far.

As I recall. Claude Lemieux was even worse.

I liked when Lemieux (jr) came to the defense of a teammate in his short stint with the Jets. I forget the exact circumstances. I'm quite willing to give him a chance.

Earlier in his career, he was penalized and suspended for actions that crossed the line. More recently, I think he has been better. He got into some trouble for things he may have said to referees. But I don't think there have been any recent examples of the slewfoots or other recklessly dangerous incidents of earlier.

He needs to control his temper to avoid the 'unsportsmanlike' calls. He needs to draw more penalties than he takes. If he can get under opponents skin, make them lose their tempers, without crossing that fine line I'm happy with that. Like I said, I don't expect choirboys.

My first paragraph was not silly. It was about things more important than a hockey game. I'm dead serious when I say that the manner of winning is important, more important than the prize itself. Whether in recreation or any other aspect of life. It just comes down to the old question of whether or not the end justifies the means. I believe it does not. You are free to disagree, of course.

When Lester Pearson won the Nobel Peace Prize he stated that he never strove to win awards but he always strove to deserve them. He was not the first man to say that but he is the one I remember. I always admired that attitude.

I believe in class all the way. We probably just don't agree on what things are part of the game in pro sport and what aren't.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hey guys, random question but how has Lemieux looked thus far into his career? I ask because his name got mentioned as a potential prospect swap if Kamenev (who we got in the Duchene deal) doesn't work out.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys, random question but how has Lemieux looked thus far into his career? I ask because his name got mentioned as a potential prospect swap if Kamenev (who we got in the Duchene deal) doesn't work out.

He hasn't looked out of place in the last 2 exhibition games. My guess is that he goes down to the Moose again, more because he doesn't need waivers than anything else. Probably a player the Jets see as someone they will need on a cheap contract in the next few years as the next wave of big contracts get dolled out (Laine, Connor, Trouba, and then Morrissey).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He's looked really good so far this TC. Prior to this he has shown steady progress. Plays with both skill and an edge. Takes far too many bad penalties in the AHL. Has done better in limited NHL time. A lot of Jets fans are eager to see him make the jump to the NHL.

Might be a potential swap if Kamenev does work out. Why would we want him if he does not?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He's looked really good so far this TC. Prior to this he has shown steady progress. Plays with both skill and an edge. Takes far too many bad penalties in the AHL. Has done better in limited NHL time. A lot of Jets fans are eager to see him make the jump to the NHL.

Might be a potential swap if Kamenev does work out. Why would we want him if he does not?

Well that's why I asked, I would've assumed that he was struggling a bit and was the type of 'change of scenery' prospect that might be a good swap if Kamenev doesn't work out. Which I think he will, but Lemieux was always a prospect I've liked so I thought I'd ask.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well that's why I asked, I would've assumed that he was struggling a bit and was the type of 'change of scenery' prospect that might be a good swap if Kamenev doesn't work out. Which I think he will, but Lemieux was always a prospect I've liked so I thought I'd ask.

Petan might be a better candidate for that swap. But I hope the return on any trade is either some better looking D prospects or picks that could be used for D.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Should be a call up on and off the season with injuries and what not. Decent bottom 6 winger.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He’s been doing really well of late. Could this be a legit breakout? He’s looking more like a possible 2nd line winger than a 4th liner. If he could keep scoring goals like he has, add some assists which should come naturally with these kind of possible linemates, and continue playing physical hockey, I see no reason he couldn’t eventually be a top 6 winger.

Now they just have to move a Ehlers out to make room for him. I kid. All though if Vesa does return to them, they probably could move Ehlers.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He’s been doing really well of late. Could this be a legit breakout? He’s looking more like a possible 2nd line winger than a 4th liner. If he could keep scoring goals like he has, add some assists which should come naturally with these kind of possible linemates, and continue playing physical hockey, I see no reason he couldn’t eventually be a top 6 winger.

Now they just have to move a Ehlers out to make room for him. I kid. All though if Vesa does return to them, they probably could move Ehlers.

Ehlers is the same age as Lemieux and is 5 times the player he is.

He's shown nothing to suggest he's a top 6 winger so far. A depth winger, yes.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

You move every other winger out before Ehlers. Heck, you re-acquire half of them and trade them again before considering an Ehlers trade.

Yes, you said 'I kid.' I didn't.

Reactions: LowLefty

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
according to the cbc hotstove its niku that's on the block.
If Niku is on the block it seems real strange he isn't getting played. Hard to scout a player sitting in the PB.

In terms of Lemieux can't see him going anywhere. IMO he is cementing himself more and more into the lineup with each passing day. Maurice was high on his style of play from day 1. Proving that he can score consistently makes him someone who doesn't get thrown in for a rental

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ehlers is the same age as Lemieux and is 5 times the player he is.

He's shown nothing to suggest he's a top 6 winger so far. A depth winger, yes.

He's showing a lot of progress - who knows where that will take him.
I'm not calling Lemmy's ceiling yet.
I hope he keeps proving us wrong

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He's showing a lot of progress - who knows where that will take him.
I'm not calling Lemmy's ceiling yet.
I hope he keeps proving us wrong
Agree. Lemieux has already passed by what I previously thought his ceiling was, just as a guy like Tanev did. The kid works hard and is proving he can put the puck in the net. He also represents one of our few forwards that will crash the net and make a living in the dirty areas.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
People would have said the exact same thing about Tanev a couple years ago.
Some reasonable people still say the same thing about Tanev. Playing on what is considered the “third” line doesn’t make you a third line player. But this isn’t about Tanev, who will surely crash down to earth with his usual 5-10 goals starting next season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Some reasonable people still say the same thing about Tanev. Playing on what is considered the “third” line doesn’t make you a third line player. But this isn’t about Tanev, who will surely crash down to earth with his usual 5-10 goals starting next season.
But there really isn't a limiting lack of skills with Lemiuex that would put up a tight ceiling. He skates well, has a good shot and has always shown a knack for scoring. The knock on him was always his ability to play with an edge and keep his emotions in check. He seems to have figured that out with some maturity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->