Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux signs one year deal.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
As expected. I hope ADA signs tonight as well.

This lends credence to the theory that there was a 1-yr at just above QO on the table, but also a 2-yr bridge if space happened to open up. No space opened up, so they signed the 1-yr at the 11th hour. I truly believe this was an amicable, even planned delay.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe peer pressure will compel him to sign. Do you really want to be the only holdout, Tony? The only holdout?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
As expected. I hope ADA signs tonight as well.

This lends credence to the theory that there was a 1-yr at just above QO on the table, but also a 2-yr bridge if space happened to open up. No space opened up, so they signed the 1-yr at the 11th hour. I truly believe this was an amicable, even planned delay.
Yep. Tried to tell this to people over and over.

And if it’s NOT the case with ADA... then he’s providing yet another data point supporting the whole lack of maturity concern

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I’d like to see Fox in the NHL before I’d say he’s ‘nipping at his heels’

You will see a lot of it, especially if ADA holds out into the season. Clearly the Rangers organization sees it, otherwise they wouldn't have spent multiple draft picks to get a guy who pretty much indicated he would go back to Harvard so he could become a UFA and sign with the Rangers next summer. The Rangers are going to play Fox, and if ADA holds out they will play fox more, and in minutes that ADA would have gotten. If it plays out that way, ADA will have a lot less leverage to bring to the arbitration table next summer given his reduced production.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You will see a lot of it, especially if ADA holds out into the season. Clearly the Rangers organization sees it, otherwise they wouldn't have spent multiple draft picks to get a guy who pretty much indicated he would go back to Harvard so he could become a UFA and sign with the Rangers next summer. The Rangers are going to play Fox, and if ADA holds out they will play fox more, and in minutes that ADA would have gotten.
I mean, Fox is going to be on the team regardless, but do you believe he won’t struggle at all? Or even more than he would normally if he’s forced into DeAngelo’s most likely role to start the year?

It’s not just a negative for DeAngelo to hold out, and it’s not just a positive for DeAngelo to sign as soon as possible, it’s also both of those things for the Rangers as well, and they’re also playing a role in this contract situation

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I mean, Fox is going to be on the team regardless, but do you believe he won’t struggle at all? Or even more than he would normally if he’s forced into DeAngelo’s most likely role to start the year?

It’s not just a negative for DeAngelo to hold out, and it’s not just a positive for DeAngelo to sign as soon as possible, it’s also both of those things for the Rangers as well, and they’re also playing a role in this contract situation
Again it’s simple math... I don’t know what else u or ADA want.

No trades will occur for months. He can sign for around 1M for a year or not. It’s really a take it out leave it now. There’s no wiggle room here.

Is he thinking there’s an offer sheet coming? No teams with cap would do that.

Sign on the line, keep ur shit together and play ur ass off. Then next yr you get to have the leverage

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Again it’s simple math... I don’t know what else u or ADA want.

No trades will occur for months. He can sign for around 1M for a year or not. It’s really a take it out leave it now. There’s no wiggle room here.

Is he thinking there’s an offer sheet coming? No teams with cap would do that.

Sign on the line, keep ur **** together and play ur ass off. Then next yr you get to have the leverage
Again, I’m not saying he should get big money. The report was he and Lemieux were being offered their QO’s still, the Rangers budged for Lemieux, who they have even less of a reason to budge for. I’ve been saying all along DeAngelo should get a 1 year deal between 1 and 1.5m

Reactions: pld459666

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

But it is just a negative for ADA in this scenario. Holding out only works if you have leverage. What is ADA's leverage? Rangers aren't a cup contender, ADA isn't ireplacable, Rangers don't have the cap room to go much beyond the qualifying offer, and ADA has no arbitration rights.

If he holds out, he gives Fox every opportunity to take his minutes. He hampers his own development. The more camp/ season he misses, the more likely he starts his season slow, as has historically happened with hold outs. Then he goes into next summer with arbitration rights coming off of less productive season and will get less money. If he holds out for an entire season and plays overseas, then his contract slides and he's still an RFA with no arbitration rights.

What are the positives to holding out? Rangers will magically find extra money and come running with a huge contract to the guy with maturity issues that is holding out with no leverage? Not gonna happen.

As for Fox of course he'll have rough patches. So will ADA in only his 2nd season.. Fox is still going to play, and considering he plays the same role as ADA, sitting out will give Fox every opportunity to take those minutes and show the Rangers that they don't need pay ADA.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
925? Have to give the same contract to ADA then, I guess. Maybe we'll start the year with 6 dmen to save money.
DeAngelo put up 30 points in 61 games as a defenseman and averaged 19 minutes a game?

Lemieux put up 17 points in 63 points as a forward average what, 12 minutes a game? (both times could be off by a minute, i'm not going to check them now with NHL.com garbage stat system)

Both played with an edge.

In what world would that be fair to DeAngelo to sign the same contract? C'on now.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
But it is just a negative for ADA in this scenario. Holding out only works if you have leverage. What is ADA's leverage? Rangers aren't a cup contender, ADA isn't ireplacable, Rangers don't have the cap room to go much beyond the qualifying offer, and ADA has no arbitration rights.

If he holds out, he gives Fox every opportunity to take his minutes. He hampers his own development. The more camp/ season he misses, the more likely he starts his season slow, as has historically happened with hold outs. Then he goes into next summer with arbitration rights coming off of less productive season and will get less money. If he holds out for an entire season and plays overseas, then his contract slides and he's still an RFA with no arbitration rights.

What are the positives to holding out? Rangers will magically find extra money and come running with a huge contract to the guy with maturity issues that is holding out with no leverage? Not gonna happen.

As for Fox of course he'll have rough patches. So will ADA in only his 2nd season.. Fox is still going to play, and considering he plays the same role as ADA, sitting out will give Fox every opportunity to take those minutes and show the Rangers that they don't need pay ADA.
You can say the same things about Lemieux (who’s relatively less important to the team than ADA) and other young forwards and the Rangers just upped their offer to get him signed.

It gives Fox all those opportunities, but if he can’t handle it right away (which is the more probable scenario), it shows the Rangers that they just might need ADA after all

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
DeAngelo put up 30 points in 61 games as a defenseman.

Lemieux put up 17 points in 63 points as a forward.

Both played with an edge.

In what world would that be fair to DeAngelo to sign the same contract? C'on now.

In this world, where ADA has no leverage and the Rangers have no cap room.

Reactions: GAGLine

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
You can say the same things about Lemieux (who’s relatively less important to the team than ADA) and other young forwards and the Rangers just upped their offer to get him signed.

It gives Fox all those opportunities, but if he can’t handle it right away (which is the more probable scenario), it shows the Rangers that they just might need ADA after all

But the big difference is Lemieux signed. Holding out is fine for ADA through tomorrow. Once he starts missing camp, he's only hurting himself and his earning potential going forward, with ultimately minimal damage to a rangers organization still rebuilding.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016

This is what always happens. People will pencil some prospect in as an instant stud in the NHL because they looked good at a prospect camp or did really well at an easier level, like they are doing now with Fox and Kravtsov. Then when that player goes through some growing pains adjusting to the toughest hockey league in the world before they're old enough to legally have a drink, people will decide they are a bust, like they are doing now with Lias and Chytil. Then even if the player turns into a good NHL player who can fill a key role at a young age, people will want to trade them because they assume that some new prospect who is barely scoring more in a junior league than the developed player has in the NHL is going to be way better, like they're doing with Skjei.

Prospect development is an uneven process that takes time and only infrequently results in players who are perennial all-stars and surefire hall-of-famers, so just be patient and have reasonable expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad