Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux signs one year deal.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
But the big difference is Lemieux signed. Holding out is fine for ADA through tomorrow. Once he starts missing camp, he's only hurting himself and his earning potential going forward, with ultimately minimal damage to a rangers organization still rebuilding.
And budging on Lemieux’s offer only gives DeAngelo more incentive to wait longer, this is on the Rangers too

More Ridiculous to be giving in to middling players with noted maturity issues when there is no cap room.
Enough cap space to give him $1.25m

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
More Ridiculous to be giving in to middling players with noted maturity issues when there is no cap room.
Yea so we should just give up him in I guess. I guess he will never mature since he's already so old. Forget an extremely talented offensive defensman who brings an edge to his game. What will we ever do with him taking a bad penalty every few games. Lets forgets all the points he would put up in the process.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
This is what always happens. People will pencil some prospect in as an instant stud in the NHL because they looked good at a prospect camp or did really well at an easier level, like they are doing now with Fox and Kravtsov. Then when that player goes through some growing pains adjusting to the toughest hockey league in the world before they're old enough to legally have a drink, people will decide they are a bust, like they are doing now with Lias and Chytil. Then even if the player turns into a good NHL player who can fill a key role at a young age, people will want to trade them because they assume that some new prospect who is barely scoring more in a junior league than the developed player has in the NHL is going to be way better, like they're doing with Skjei.

Prospect development is an uneven process that takes time and only infrequently results in players who are perennial all-stars and surefire hall-of-famers, so just be patient and have reasonable expectations.

Not really anybody is saying that though. We are talking about a protracted ADA holdout scenario where ADA is not in the lineup giving Fox the opportunity to take his minutes and PP time.

Also, Fox is going to play. If the Rangers didn't think he was ready, they wouldn't have given up multiple draft picks for a guy who pretty much indicated he was going to go back to Harvard and become a UFA next summer so he could sign with the Rangers then. He might struggle, and he might play some in Hartford, but the Rangers are going to be giving him every opportunity to take minutes with the big club, especially if ADA is holding out.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Now that Lemieux is signed, the picture is clearer and they will work out a contract for ADA. No worries guys. I will get done sooner than later.
I’m not too worried either. I think at minimum I’d like him to get 2 preseason games in, but I’m not going to be mad at the guy if this goes past that (I wasn’t mad at Stepan or Dubinsky either)

Reactions: lucky13 and ohbaby

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Yea so we should just give up him in I guess. I guess he will never mature since he's already so old. Forget an extremely talented offensive defensman who brings an edge to his game. What will we ever do with him taking a bad penalty every few games. Lets forgets all the points he would put up in the process.

Literally nobody is saying that. Right now ADA is a middling defensemen with a lot of potential and maturity issues. He's got no leverage and the Rangers have no cap room. He can sit, miss some time, which will most likely negatively impact his season, and then go into next summer when he has arbitration rights with not much to bring to the negotiating table. Or he can sign his deal for around 1 mil, play hard, stay out of trouble, develop his game, and go into next summer holding all the cards while showing the Rangers how mature he can be.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I don’t get why people take it so personally when a player wants more money. People get so pissed off...

Not pissed off, just think in this particular scenario a protracted hold out would be incredibly dumb. I want ADA in the lineup, but if chooses to die on this hill for a small raise to the point where he messes up future earning potential so be it. It wouldn't be disaterous for the Rangers, Fox would get more developmental time and the Rangers might get closer to another top draft choice. If ADA signs tomorrow then great, Rangers are better and ADA gets to develop more.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I’m not too worried either. I think at minimum I’d like him to get 2 preseason games in, but I’m not going to be mad at the guy if this goes past that (I wasn’t mad at Stepan or Dubinsky either)
I don't think it will go that far. Stepan or Dubinsky were for longer term deals. ADA is only about a few extra bucks this season. That's all he can seriously hope for. This will be over soon.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Good. This kid needs to be a part of the team's future. Genes that douchey don't come along very often.

Funny story: my boss is good friends with Claude and has been involved in Brendan’s life ever since he was a kid. My boss stayed with Brendan when he visited Winnipeg several times over the past few years; he’s also developed a friendship with Roslovic. Anyway, Jack and Brendan were in town a few weekends ago, and the three played some pickup hockey.

I asked my boss what the two were like. He said Jack is a good kid; Brendan is a scoundrel (he didn’t phrase it so nicely) “just like his father.”

It gave me a chuckle.
A scoundrel. :laugh:

Curious if he managed to get a decent bump. I assume he's arbitration eligible next summer?
Yeppers.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Can we tell Haley to not attend training camp now? Im seriously worried he might injure someone.

Reactions: aufheben

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Offer sheets don't happen, but if I was a GM with any amount of cap, I'd offer DeAngelo 1.35 weeks ago

I don’t think he’d sign that. He certainly wouldn’t for multiple years and then you just have to ask if he’d want to leave NY, near his hometown, for 300-400k on one year. And then if you bump the number up you start getting into compensation range so I don’t think an offer sheet for him really works.

Reactions: pld459666

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don’t get why people take it so personally when a player wants more money. People get so pissed off...

Not really about that - I'm all for guys getting what they deserve when the time is right. That time isn't now. DeAngelo was scratched for 25% of the games last season and a lot of that was NOT about his play. He's got no leverage, the Rangers have no cap space to go bigger and offer longer term for more money, and ADA has competition for "his spot" crossing their fingers that he holds out (for what will amount to essentially nothing) so they get a longer look.

If the Rangers have offered Lemieux $925K then you can bet that's been floated, and obviously rejected, by the ADA camp. He should sign, have a good season and improve his value/leverage, and cash in next summer.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Give ADA 1M

Keep one of McKegg/Boo on as an extra (assuming Lias can stick)

we carry 22 players w/ ~800k of operating space.

time to be done with this.

edit: forgot about Kravtsov...

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

IDK, kept reading about how Lemieux had no leverage (cut and dry). The CBA dollars aren’t relative when you compare the cost or rent of real estate in NY vs other markets. My gosh, Zuccarello’s place (which somehow keeps popping up on too many of my Rangers searches) cost millions whereas the same place would 75% less in many markets.

His agent can do the math and despite the CBA, they held on for more and guess what? They got it.

Glad to have him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad