Prospect Info: Brendan Lemieux (2014, 31st) – '14-15: Barrie #21 (OHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I mean, some moments in life are revealing of character. Getting picked #31 in the draft should be a dream for most people - especially a kid like him, who most people didn't even rate as a first-rounder anyways.

I would say that about him whether I wanted him or not. And I'm not the only person to say it.

It's not a grand pronouncement either - just an observation and a red flag.

Mackenzie had him at 33 I believe... I think it's close enough for one to believe you have a good shot of being selected in the 1st round and being disappointed if you're not.

Can be a good thing to play with a chip on your shoulder or it can be a disaster ..time will tell.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I admit I wanted Barbashev, but I did post after round 1 I would be interested in both Lemieux and Dougherty. Probably like most people he caught my eye when watching Ekblad, and if Murray thinks he has offensive upside then I have no problem with the pick. The bloodlines are obviously nice, and if getting picked with the first pick in the 2nd round is going to give him more fire, great. Excited to see him at dev camp.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Nope. that's not what I mean at all. I was mostly referring to when Tim Murray put it so eloquently the other day when he said something along the lines of '[The Russian factor means] certain (Russian) players simply have the advantage over all the others coming into the league - they can leave if they choose to do so'

That's all i was referring to actually. Nothing to do with race or ethnicity. The "Russian Factor" is real, there's no getting around it - some (Russian) players can leave whenever they want if they choose to "wuss-out" and go home w/ their ball to the KHL.

Why do people always jump right into race-baited arguments these days? We should take it a lot easier on each other... life it just too tough for most people already. No use baulking at them and trying to bait them into a (meaningless) online forum argument.

Uh, did you even read the comment you said you fully agreed with? The one that was clearly calling European players soft? It had nothing to do with players leaving to the KHL. No one is "race-baiting", the guy started the conversation by calling European players soft -- it was his entire point. It's also definitely not "wussing out" to go to the KHL for more money and opportunity. I doubt Kovalchuk feels like a wuss on his bed of money, either.

I think if NJ had taken Barbashev at pick 30....the majority of the board would be raving about this pick right now. I for one wanted Barbashev but am good with Lemieux moving forward.

If Barbashev weren't there then Lemieux would have been one of several pretty evenly-matched choices in my book.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I will admit, I like reading the draft reviews and would have loved to seen the Sabres getting accolades of having the best draft by getting a projected mid to late 1st round talent in the 2nd round in addition to getting Reinhart and also looking at the Hockey Futures Team Depth Chart and seeing Barbashev as most likely a 7.5C prospect....but Murray is building a team and looking beyond the rating system and I have to have faith that in few years this will all come together.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean, some moments in life are revealing of character. Getting picked #31 in the draft should be a dream for most people - especially a kid like him, who most people didn't even rate as a first-rounder anyways.

I would say that about him whether I wanted him or not. And I'm not the only person to say it.

It's not a grand pronouncement either - just an observation and a red flag.

Thank you for further making my point.

He was disappointed he didn't go in the first round. The next day he is still pissed/bummed out that he wasn't taken in the first round. Literally 4mins after walking into the draft (thats from him) he gets drafted by us first in the second round. Something he was not expecting since he find;t think we were interested in him. He felt that way based on how tough they were on him in his interview with the team. He handled his conflicting emotions (mad about not getting drafted in 1st round and the shock of walking in and getting draft) at the time in an immature fashion but tone it down with each successive interview. Hardly a big deal for an 18 year old kid.

Based on that you have made the following ridiculous assertions or stated things that were concerns for you going forward……

1) You're gonna hate to see how he handles not getting top minutes, not getting his contract demands, etc.

2) Not really particularly excited about his character.

3) That this is some character defining moment of his life

4) that this is some red flag.

So you can spare me the indignation that you aren't making grand pronouncements about him. You went off the deep end about this IMO. I fully expect you to parse and nitpick his words from now until his time as Sabre property ends. It sure seems you've made up your mind about him.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Thank you for further making my point.

He was disappointed he didn't go in the first round. The next day he is still pissed/bummed out that he wasn't taken in the first round. Literally 4mins after walking into the draft he gets drafted by us first in the second round. A team he dindn't think was interested in him based on how tough they were on him in his interview with the team. He handled his conflicting emotions at the time in an immature fashion but tone it down with each successive interview. Hardly a big deal for an 18 year old kid.

Based on that you have made the following ridiculous assertions or stated things were concerns……

1) I'm gonna hate to see how he handles not getting top minutes, not getting his contract demands, etc.

2) Not really particularly excited about his character.

3) That this is some character defining moment of his life

4) that this is some red flag.

So you can spare me the indignation that you aren't making grand pronouncements about him. You went off the deep end about this IMO. I fully expect you to parse and nitpick his words from now until his time as Sabre property ends.

Anything to keep you entertained :laugh:

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
If he can maintain a roster spot through out the years on any line and becomes one of the most hated players in the league this pick will be a homerun from my perspective.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Maybe that is just his personality and would have been his reaction regardless of who drafted him in the 2nd round. I really didn't read into it that much.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
His reaction is the worst thing that has happened to this organization since we traded a 3rd round pick for Neuvirth.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
His reaction is the worst thing that has happened to this organization since we traded a 3rd round pick for Neuvirth.

Maybe he was hoping he would drop 1 more spot and be drafted by Florida and be able to play with Ekblad.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe that is just his personality and would have been his reaction regardless of who drafted him in the 2nd round. I really didn't read into it that much.

It's possible that he was looking at the bright spot of falling out of the first round being that his best buddy Ekblad's new team might draft him at #32. Edit: JINX ;)

Those immediate post-draft interviews are always terrible in some way or another. The kids are way too amped up after being selected 3 minutes beforehand, and those that slipped a bit are also really relieved. I don't see what the big deal is, it just wasn't a good interview. He also wasn't asked any good questions. They all led him to go on about not getting picked in the first round.

His later interviews were all pretty solid I thought, with the only somewhat obnoxious part being the common namedropping of guys like Roenick, though it's hard to blame him when he has hockey legends as surrogate uncles. All these kids gave solid interviews. Reinhart of course, but Cornel also seemed insightful while Martin was considerably more articulate than your typical player.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
He came off as a bit of a tool, sure. Just go out and hit people and knock some goals in and we'll be cool.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He said getting passed over by certain teams "stung" ...mentioned the Avs by name.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean, I don't really feel the need to apologize to you for that sentiment. The kid acted immature, it sends me a red flag. We'll see what happens.

Why would you think I was asking you to apologize? I wouldn't even know how to react if someone apologized for their opinion :laugh:

I'm asking you to defend what I think is a ridiculous stance. I laid out all you statements and pointed to the over the top and overly dramatic nature of them.

Now in your mind he has a red flag. That seems an absurd overreaction to me. Kind of like being upset you weren't drafted in the first round :sarcasm:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Why would you think I was asking you to apologize?

I'm asking you to defend what I think is a ridiculous stance. I laid out all you statements and pointed to the over the top and overly dramatic reaction to something so minor.

Now in your mind he has a red flag. That seems absurd to me.

It's just a character issue, and we're obviously just different judges of character. The way he spoke suggested to me that he felt entitled to go in the first round, and angry at the people who did not give him what he deserved. He mentioned that he'd always seemed to get what he deserved throughout his life so far and may not be used to this kind of situation.

But there will be many times in his professional career when he faces a similar situation, and won't have his dad or JR leaning over his shoulder, or helpful interviewers trying to get him onto happier thoughts. In my judgment, the same character skills are basically called on whenever the coach puts you down, or the GM puts you down, or your teammates let you down. If you think you deserve something, it can be trouble.

Now, you've made me go out and type it all up like a ****ing thesis in defense of a one line comment, and so naturally everybody's going to jump down my ****ing throat telling me that I've now made this out to be the apocalypse - same as people are still mocking me for suggesting we lost the Halak trade.

Whatever. You don't see anything potentially troubling, I'm certainly not trying to make you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad