Player Discussion Brendan Gone-ce: Will not be qualified, so pour one out here

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Gaunce is eligible for a 2-way qualifying offer.

Whether a qualifying offer must be 1-way has nothing to do with whether he was on a 1-way the previous season. It is dependent on the number of NHL games played and whether he cleared waivers the previous season.

As he cleared waivers last season, didn't play 180 NHL games the past 3 seasons nor play 60 NHL games last season, he's eligible for a 2-way qualifying offer. For those that want to look it up, it is in Article 10.2(a)(iii) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I've mentioned it previously in another thread, but I could see the possibility of them offering him a 2 way at something like $700K/$200K. Otoh, they may have simply decided to move on from him and in the circumstances he might very well want to test the free agent market.

Gaunce is technically eligible for a 2-way QO, but the AHL salary would have to be at least 800K because that's what his AHL salary was last year and a 2-way QO must maintain or increase the minor league salary from the previous season. So it is essentially a moot point. 2-way QO's are intended for players on expiring 2-way deals, not for guys with 1-way deals.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I will miss him mostly because of the love shown to him on this board. That he is better than a healthy Sutter but just does not get a chance.

He is a player who plateaued at 16. He simply does not improve. Not sure what limitations caused this as he should have become a solid NHL player. I would say it is likely character related. Not is being a bad person but not being able to do what is needed to succeed. Nhl players are the best of the best and you need a mindset to match. He will be missed though like Hunter S. he will never disappear. Though unlike others I do not see him as an important depth player on a winning team. Good luck to him!

What is this garbage

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Gaunce is eligible for a 2-way qualifying offer.

Whether a qualifying offer must be 1-way has nothing to do with whether he was on a 1-way the previous season. It is dependent on the number of NHL games played and whether he cleared waivers the previous season.

As he cleared waivers last season, didn't play 180 NHL games the past 3 seasons nor play 60 NHL games last season, he's eligible for a 2-way qualifying offer. For those that want to look it up, it is in Article 10.2(a)(iii) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I've mentioned it previously in another thread, but I could see the possibility of them offering him a 2 way at something like $700K/$200K. Otoh, they may have simply decided to move on from him and in the circumstances he might very well want to test the free agent market.
But doesn't a QO have to be 105% of his previous year salary (in his salary bracket).

I can easily see them offering a 2-way at $700K/$200K, but that would mean that they did not give him a QO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But doesn't a QO have to be 105% of his previous year salary (in his salary bracket).

I can easily see them offering a 2-way at $700K/$200K, but that would mean that they did not give him a QO.

The QO offer for Gaunce has to be $840k. But it can be 2 way.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The problem with signing Beagle as a great playoff warrior is that he may never see the playoffs again. The canucks are clearly missing the fact that they should not be worrying about the playoffs.

And that's coming from someone who thinks the Canucks will make the playoffs next year, simply because EP will carry the whole bloody team on his back.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Gaunce is technically eligible for a 2-way QO, but the AHL salary would have to be at least 800K because that's what his AHL salary was last year and a 2-way QO must maintain or increase the minor league salary from the previous season. So it is essentially a moot point. 2-way QO's are intended for players on expiring 2-way deals, not for guys with 1-way deals.

With respect, that clearly is not the meaning of Article 10.2 (a)(ii)(D) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

That article states:

“If a Player is eligible to receive a Two-Way Qualifying Offer, the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary component shall be not less than the higher of the Player’s prior year’s Paragraph 1 minor league salary, IF ANY, or the minimum Minor League Salary.”

I’ve added the emphasis to the words “if any.”

The standard player’s contract in s. 1 has a place to fill in salary and how it is paid. Then in the same section it says:

“And it is further mutually agreed that if the SPC and rights to the services of the Player are Loaned or otherwise transferred to a club in another league, the Player shall only be paid at an annual salary rate of” (and it continues with places to fill in the minor league salary for various years and leagues.)

The words “only be paid” mean that it is a reduction in salary in the case of assignment. There is no reason to fill in that section in the case of a 1 way contract-the earlier words with the place to fill in the salary apply and there is no reduction in effect to make it necessary to fill in the second part of s. 1 of the spc.

Gaunce was on a one way contract last year. Accordingly, there was no minor league salary component filled in his contract and “the Player’s prior year’s Pagrapraph 1 minor league salary, IF ANY” don’t apply because there wasn’t any. Accordingly, the minimum he could be qualified at on the minor league component is the minimum Minor League Salary.

The only way I could see that an $800K minimum would apply to the minor league component of a qualifying offer was if the Canucks were stupid enough to fill in the minor league component on Gaunce's last deal even though the contract was 1-way and it shouldn't have been filled in.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
The problem with this team is that they are paying players like Beagle and Schaller millions who are barely an upgrade on Gaunce... Schaller might actually be worse. Gaunce is a borderline NHL player, but he's bringing you more for your $ than either Schaller or Beagle. Beagle does have some good qualities... very good PK'er. But you could replace both Beagle and Schaller with Gaunce and another borderline defensive player and had another 3M is cap space to sign someone who actually would make an impact.

It's these types of management mistakes that are really going to burn us... among the many other mistakes they have made.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Was just perusing Hockey DB draft classes... came across the 2012 draft... saw Gaunce.. .was looking at his numbers.. thought of this thread.. so might as well share what i was looking up...

Draft class rankings.. Gaunce
59th in gms played (117) - #1: 490, #30: 250
59th in goals (6) - #1: 145, #30: 29
65th in assists (9) - #1: 192, #30: 51
66th in points (15) - #1: 305, #30: 89

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The problem with this team is that they are paying players like Beagle and Schaller millions who are barely an upgrade on Gaunce... Schaller might actually be worse. Gaunce is a borderline NHL player, but he's bringing you more for your $ than either Schaller or Beagle. Beagle does have some good qualities... very good PK'er. But you could replace both Beagle and Schaller with Gaunce and another borderline defensive player and had another 3M is cap space to sign someone who actually would make an impact.

It's these types of management mistakes that are really going to burn us... among the many other mistakes they have made.

Good post. Maybe if we explain it a couple thousand more times people will understand

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Was just perusing Hockey DB draft classes... came across the 2012 draft... saw Gaunce.. .was looking at his numbers.. thought of this thread.. so might as well share what i was looking up...

Draft class rankings.. Gaunce
59th in gms played (117) - #1: 490, #30: 250
59th in goals (6) - #1: 145, #30: 29
65th in assists (9) - #1: 192, #30: 51
66th in points (15) - #1: 305, #30: 89

that draft was so bad

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
that draft was so bad

That actually depends on how you evaluate drafts. That draft was predictably weak due to lack of high-end talent. But if you go by NHL games played, that first round had 0 players who didn't play at least an NHL game. That's like 2003 territory (albeit with much less games played and quality overall).

Ironically, Schaller was suppose to play the way that Green wanted Gaunce to play.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
He is far too expensive to qualify just for Utica depth. They can get a veteran Center for Utica for much cheaper. They were never going to give him another shot in the NHL so they let him try his slow and soft brand of hockey elsewhere

But they won't. We haven't had a veteran quality playmaking center since Cal O'Reilly. TJ Hensick was in the ECHL but dumb dumb Johnson just let him sit there until San Jose signed him. Goung to cost you to get a veteran center. Gaunce could be a great leader and help with the kids while being a productive center if they put him there...and left him there.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
With respect, that clearly is not the meaning of Article 10.2 (a)(ii)(D) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

That article states:

“If a Player is eligible to receive a Two-Way Qualifying Offer, the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary component shall be not less than the higher of the Player’s prior year’s Paragraph 1 minor league salary, IF ANY, or the minimum Minor League Salary.”

I’ve added the emphasis to the words “if any.”

The standard player’s contract in s. 1 has a place to fill in salary and how it is paid. Then in the same section it says:

“And it is further mutually agreed that if the SPC and rights to the services of the Player are Loaned or otherwise transferred to a club in another league, the Player shall only be paid at an annual salary rate of” (and it continues with places to fill in the minor league salary for various years and leagues.)

The words “only be paid” mean that it is a reduction in salary in the case of assignment. There is no reason to fill in that section in the case of a 1 way contract-the earlier words with the place to fill in the salary apply and there is no reduction in effect to make it necessary to fill in the second part of s. 1 of the spc.

Gaunce was on a one way contract last year. Accordingly, there was no minor league salary component filled in his contract and “the Player’s prior year’s Pagrapraph 1 minor league salary, IF ANY” don’t apply because there wasn’t any. Accordingly, the minimum he could be qualified at on the minor league component is the minimum Minor League Salary.

The only way I could see that an $800K minimum would apply to the minor league component of a qualifying offer was if the Canucks were stupid enough to fill in the minor league component on Gaunce's last deal even though the contract was 1-way and it shouldn't have been filled in.

Don't think it works like that with expiring 1-way deals, although I'm not 100% certain. If what you've described were true, a player like Gaunce on a 1-way deal could be qualified with a mere 70k AHL salary; meanwhile, a guy like Boucher on a 2-way deal must have his 300k AHL salary maintained on a QO. That doesn't seem to make sense. To my knowledge, if the Paragraph 1 salary is the same for NHL and minors, that is the figure that sets the levels for the QO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad