Player Discussion Brendan Gone-ce: Will not be qualified, so pour one out here

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If a strong team takes a chance of him I think he'll show the Canucks made a mistake.

Just as likely to fade into obscurity in the AHL though. One of those players that belongs in the NHL but just doesn't play a game that stands out, just a super low event player.

I hope an up and coming team like Colorado give him a chance.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Disappointing because I see him more capable than Schaller. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an effective player on another team

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I disagree. Gaunce is a capable bottom 6 player or at the very least a fourth liner. Has nothing to do with crap we have there.
Delusional. He has 6 goals in 117 games. That’s 4 per year. He isn’t an NHL player. The fact Schaller is an embarrassment doesn’t mean he should be playing on the 4th line. They are both trash hockey players.

Edit. 3 of his 6 goals were scored with his ass

Reactions: Andre Boudrias

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
You need not score 50 goals to be a competitive NHL player.
Your top 9 is for scoring goals, your 4th line is for preventing them.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Do people not remember what it takes to get to a SCF?

Ignoring that it is a cap world where you need good 4th liners that don't cost too much.

Ignoring that Gaunce is as good or better than several players, players that haven't earned their ice time, and that take up way too much cap space.

Do people remember the injuries that pile up after 2 or 3 playoff series, the need for low-cost players on your 4th line or from the farm being able to step in and hold their own against another team that is fighting for a Cup?

Will effective, low cost players on the 4th line and from the farm win you the Cup by themselves? No, but you sure as hell won't win the Cup without them. Of course we aren't aiming for the Cup right now (or we shouldn't be) but it's never too early to start building a team the right way.

If you can't even get the little things right, you are worse than Loui Ericksson.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You need not score 50 goals to be a competitive NHL player.
Your top 9 is for scoring goals, your 4th line is for preventing them.
To win in today’s NHL you need offensive contributions from all lines. Slow, physical and defensively sound 4th lines are in the past. Gaunce would have been a gem on the 94 Nucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do people not remember what it takes to get to a SCF?

Ignoring that it is a cap world where you need good 4th liners that don't cost too much.

Ignoring that Gaunce is as good or better than several players, players that haven't earned their ice time, and that take up way too much cap space.

Do people remember the injuries that pile up after 2 or 3 playoff series, the need for low-cost players on your 4th line or from the farm being able to step in and hold their own against another team that is fighting for a Cup?

Will effective, low cost players on the 4th line and from the farm win you the Cup by themselves? No, but you sure as hell won't win the Cup without them. Of course we aren't aiming for the Cup right now (or we shouldn't be) but it's never too early to start building a team the right way.

If you can't even get the little things right, you are worse than Loui Ericksson.
From Gaunce POV I’m sure he’d rather be a free agent that AHL fodder for a team that doesn’t believe he has an NHL future with them.

Nice to make $900K but I’m sure he covets a shot at making the NHL.

If he can’t crack a team now he’s likely an AHL lifer or off to Europe if he can find a team.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Zero loss, aside from at the AHL level. Gaunce has been one of the weirder obsessions for this board over the years for a player who brought nothing to the table.

Yes the team has other players that suck too, but the goal should be removing all of those bad players and not just replacing them with other bad players like Gaunce.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
From Gaunce POV I’m sure he’d rather be a free agent that AHL fodder for a team that doesn’t believe he has an NHL future with them.

Nice to make $900K but I’m sure he covets a shot at making the NHL.

If he can’t crack a team now he’s likely an AHL lifer or off to Europe if he can find a team.

Yeah, the bolded is really the heart of the matter. Just terrible management in terms of evaluating talent, understanding how to build a team in a cap world, and how to build team spirit by rewarding the right things.

Sure, it's just a straw, and the camel's back hasn't broken yet, but the camel is going nowhere.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, the bolded is really the heart of the matter. Just terrible management in terms of evaluating talent, understanding how to build a team in a cap world, and how to build team spirit by rewarding the right things.

Sure, it's just a straw, and the camel's back hasn't broken yet, but the camel is going nowhere.
He’s played 117 nhl games and another 190 in the A in 5 years as a pro.

Wish him well but he hasn’t shown much of what the Canucks in 2012 had hoped he would become.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
To win in today’s NHL you need offensive contributions from all lines. Slow, physical and defensively sound 4th lines are in the past. Gaunce would have been a gem on the 94 Nucks
You don't need 50 goals from gaunce. Not even 15.

Slow physical defense first is all your own words. I said nothing of the sort.

Reactions: daddyohsix

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
"We're not going to carry around a big suitcase full of yesterdays." George McPhee

Time to move on. Would have like to see Gaunce make it here. In the end, he was a little slow for today's game and, despite his size, wasn't that physical.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He’s played 117 nhl games and another 190 in the A in 5 years as a pro.

Wish him well but he hasn’t shown much of what the Canucks in 2012 had hoped he would become.
He's made progress in the AHL as a solid two way player which may not translate to the NHL so it not like there hasn't been any progression. Like many players they might not be able to take the next step.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You don't need 50 goals from gaunce. Not even 15.

Slow physical defense first is all your own words. I said nothing of the sort.
How about 8-10 goals? You are pleased with 4 goals from your 4C? Are you saying Gaunce isn’t slow? He isn’t defensively oriented ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad