Player Discussion Brendan Gone-ce: Will not be qualified, so pour one out here

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
How about 8-10 goals? You are pleased with 4 goals from your 4C? Are you saying Gaunce isn’t slow? He isn’t defensively oriented ?

I mean, his 4g in ~40 games (I’m assuming that’s what you’re referencing) is kind of the same as what you’re asking for?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Zero loss, aside from at the AHL level. Gaunce has been one of the weirder obsessions for this board over the years for a player who brought nothing to the table.

Yes the team has other players that suck too, but the goal should be removing all of those bad players and not just replacing them with other bad players like Gaunce.

This is how the Gaunce discussion usually goes down.

“Hey we have players down in Utica like Gaunce/Archibad who are better it not as good as the bottom 6 players we have been spending a premium on in FA or through trades.”

“Gaunce has no goals he sucks you guys are obsessed with him”

I wouldn’t care much about players like Gaunce and Archibald if we had similar or better players playing in our bottom 6 for a similar cap hit.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Delusional. He has 6 goals in 117 games. That’s 4 per year. He isn’t an NHL player. The fact Schaller is an embarrassment doesn’t mean he should be playing on the 4th line. They are both trash hockey players.

Edit. 3 of his 6 goals were scored with his ass

Beagle is trash too this season I guess

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He is incredibly overrated...but Beagles ability really has no bearing on whether or not Gaunce is an NHL player.
It’s symptomatic of the quality of forwards in our bottom six of which Gaunce won’t fix but at least he’s cheap.

Beagle’s ten goals three of which were empty net goals in the last 136 nhl games makes 3 million and has a NTC.

We’d be better off without both but this GM has no ability with respect to pro scouting.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He is incredibly overrated...but Beagles ability really has no bearing on whether or not Gaunce is an NHL player.

It does when you consider Gaunce’s value to this organization when we could be saving millions of dollars in cap space on him over Beagle.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It’s symptomatic of the quality of forwards in our bottom six of which Gaunce won’t fix but at least he’s cheap.

Beagle’s ten goals three of which were empty net goals in the last 136 nhl games makes 3 million and has a NTC.

We’d be better off without both but this GM has no ability with respect to pro scouting.
Again, they all have to go. So does Gaunce

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He has played 117 games and has scored 6 goals. 3 which were banked off him
And Beagle scored three goals in 82 games and one of those was into an empty net...and for that, he was paid $3m per season. Gaunce was paid $750,000 last season......so six goals in 117 games for Gaunce is actually a bargain. And when you factor in Schaller's three goals (all against the same team) for $1.9m a season, then Gaunce is actually a 'value player'.

Shelling out $4.9m a season for two useless checking forwards used to get the GM fired.....but not in Canuckleland I guess.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is how the Gaunce discussion usually goes down.

“Hey we have players down in Utica like Gaunce/Archibad who are better it not as good as the bottom 6 players we have been spending a premium on in FA or through trades.”

“Gaunce has no goals he sucks you guys are obsessed with him”

I wouldn’t care much about players like Gaunce and Archibald if we had similar or better players playing in our bottom 6 for a similar cap hit.

Fair enough, we're in agreement there. Benning sucks and the roster composition has major issues. I just don't think Gaunce is very good and there will be 50+ comparable players that are free agents for the minimum on July 1st.

Someone like Archibald (who I liked) was an upgrade on Gaunce when he got a chance late in 2017-18. I will never understand how a GM could look at what Archibald did at the end of that season and instead of giving him the first opportunity for the 4th line LW spot go out and sign Tim Schaller to play the same position for double the cost & term.

I also think Chaput was perfectly fine as a 13th forward with some position flexibility and was equal or better than Gaunce when they played together for one season.

Point being, you can find these guys to fill out your 11th through 13th forward spot. See ya Gaunce.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
1mYgP12.jpg

Reactions: Hit the post

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Even if you don’t think Gaunce is an NHL player, or that he sucks, it’s not like he’s a redundant piece in the organization. Which is a pretty serious indictment of management and the lack of depth throughout the system, but whatever. Now they’re going to have to go try to find a player to replace him, on top of the 532 other problems they need to fix.

I don’t understand all of the talk of “HES GOTTA GO RIGHT NOW.” Like, yeah, you can find other players like him, but that has always been true, and they sure as hell haven’t managed it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if you don’t think Gaunce is an NHL player, or that he sucks, it’s not like he’s a redundant piece in the organization. Which is a pretty serious indictment of management and the lack of depth throughout the system, but whatever. Now they’re going to have to go try to find a player to replace him, on top of the 532 other problems they need to fix.
There’s also the side of doing the guy a solid. Rather than trap him in the minors again, they are giving him a chance to find a place where he has a better shot of making an NHL roster.

He’s at a tipping point in his career now.

Reactions: The Poacher

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I feel this is dumb because he's a cost-controlled RFA center who can still play in Utica and isn't a liability at the NHL level. Isn't that what they keep saying they want?

In reality they overpay to get what they think they want, until the player gets here and usually doesn't play like the player advertised.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I feel this is dumb because he's a cost-controlled RFA center who can still play in Utica and isn't a liability at the NHL level. Isn't that what they keep saying they want?

In reality they overpay to get what they think they want, until the player gets here and usually doesn't play like the player advertised.
He is far too expensive to qualify just for Utica depth. They can get a veteran Center for Utica for much cheaper. They were never going to give him another shot in the NHL so they let him try his slow and soft brand of hockey elsewhere

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He is far too expensive to qualify just for Utica depth. They can get a veteran Center for Utica for much cheaper. They were never going to give him another shot in the NHL so they let him try his slow and soft brand of hockey elsewhere

Jesus Christ my brain hurts so much.

Gaunce is cheap and a veteran center.

Or did you mean cheaper than ~1m and MORE veteran......:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad