Recalled/Assigned: Brendan Gaunce called up

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
don't have a clue why him or Zalewski couldn't be given a chance to be 4th line centre for the Canucks. I really don't understand that Granlund deal. it just makes zero sense to me.

Traded away a top end propsect, even if we had given up on him, for a guy we are going to play as a 4th line centre? Vey does that job fine if we are just looking for a small centre.
I think we all know what the reason is.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
don't have a clue why him or Zalewski couldn't be given a chance to be 4th line centre for the Canucks. I really don't understand that Granlund deal. it just makes zero sense to me.

Traded away a top end propsect, even if we had given up on him, for a guy we are going to play as a 4th line centre? Vey does that job fine if we are just looking for a small centre.

Gotta bolster the org's one position of, uh, somewhat not weakness.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
i truly don't. the trade makes no sense.

unless you mean zalewski and gaunce are gillis pickups and he doesn't want to play gillis prospects.

That's pretty much it.

At the time, I thought I was being too paranoid for holding that suspicion. However... It is becoming increasingly evident that Jimbo is not only incompetent and stupid, he's also the same kind of person who may be prone to favoritism & nepotism.

Basically, he's Michael Scott (as another poster pointed out), guys like Lack and Kassian are essentially viewed by him as Toby Flendersons.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i truly don't. the trade makes no sense.

unless you mean zalewski and gaunce are gillis pickups and he doesn't want to play gillis prospects.

I think this management group and shown time after time that they have a certain idea what prospects they like and don't like. Once a prospect is in a don't like bucket, it needs near divine intervention to take that prospect out of that don't like bucket. We should be happy that they didn't trade him away already along with Hunter.

I think what happened yesterday is forcing them to play Gaunce now as damage control.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Alternate theory is that they see Sutter as a top-6 winger going forward, which gives Granlund a top-9 centre spot to take next year. Otherwise they traded for a guy with nowhere to go but the 4th line.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hes not playing hes not even in the city

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm mad as heck that this uppity young punk is only here because he stole Adam Cracknell's spot.

Send him back down to teach him a lesson about some stuff or whatever imo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's pretty much it.

At the time, I thought I was being too paranoid for holding that suspicion. However... It is becoming increasingly evident that Jimbo is not only incompetent and stupid, he's also the same kind of person who may be prone to favoritism & nepotism.

Basically, he's Michael Scott (as another poster pointed out), guys like Lack and Kassian are essentially viewed by him as Toby Flendersons.

Literally nobody likes Toby. So that seems about right.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'm mad as heck that this uppity young punk is only here because he stole Adam Cracknell's spot.

Send him back down to teach him a lesson about some stuff or whatever imo.

What does that mean why shouldnt he play this makes no sense :facepalm

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think that Gaunce will be traded at the draft. First they'll lower his value by playing him on the wing for a while, then sitting him till he's stale, then sending him back down.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Alternate theory is that they see Sutter as a top-6 winger going forward, which gives Granlund a top-9 centre spot to take next year. Otherwise they traded for a guy with nowhere to go but the 4th line.

Yes. Sign "foundation center", shutdown extraordinaire Brandon Sutter to turn him into a winger.

Occam's Razor: Benning doesn't have a clue.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fixed your name for you ;)

Michael-Scott-angry-stare-at-toby.gif

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like that he's called up, and think he deserves it (he's currently better than McCann or Virtanen, IMO), but this is such a shamelessly transparent attempt to cool down the torches by waving a shiney distraction around.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Where does Gaunce fit after Sutter is back? The Sutter contract really screws up the way for guys like Gaunce.

I'm repeating myself, but the answer is that he doesn't fit in and will be moved. The Sutter contract irritates the hell out of me.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I'm repeating myself, but the answer is that he doesn't fit in and will be moved. The Sutter contract irritates the hell out of me.

Gaunce has been playing wing most of the year in Utica. Not to take away from the crazy 4 million plus for Sutter.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Gaunce has been playing wing most of the year in Utica. Not to take away from the crazy 4 million plus for Sutter.

He's been moved back to centre recently, and performed much better, hence his call-up. But you're right, another possibility is that the Canucks will turn him into a winger. It would be better to play him in the middle in Utica, have him excel, and trade him for a defenceman.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He's been moved back to centre recently, and performed much better, hence his call-up. But you're right, another possibility is that the Canucks will turn him into a winger. It would be better to play him in the middle in Utica, have him excel, and trade him for a defenceman.

I get a better idea. Lets trade him for a 180 lb two-way centre who can't win face-offs. Yeah, the next Bergeron but not. Everyone will fear the two-wayness of Horvat, Vey, Granlund, New Guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad