Recalled/Assigned: Brendan Gaunce called up

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sutter can play wing too, no?

My guess is they will play him as Sedins winger unless they get Erikson. Just too crowded with Sedin Sutter Bo forcing Granlund Vey and Gaunce into a battle to the death for 4C.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My guess is they will play him as Sedins winger unless they get Erikson. Just too crowded with Sedin Sutter Bo forcing Granlund Vey and Gaunce into a battle to the death for 4C.

Even with Sutter on the wing and Vey left to go to free agency, things are crowded at centre. Do they put McCann in Utica and keep Zalewski down there as well?

What's called for is some skillful asset management ...

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yes. Sign "foundation center", shutdown extraordinaire Brandon Sutter to turn him into a winger.

Occam's Razor: Benning doesn't have a clue.

Well, I mean, he did spend a chunk of time on the Sedins' wing this year.

It's really one of the few ways that Granlund fits in the picture (not saying it needs to make sense, considering management, but let's pretend we live in a world where they have an actual plan). Sutter is a winger, Horvat is 2C, McCaan goes to the AHL, Granlund fights with Vey for 3C, and Gaunce or Zalewski sort out 4C between them.

Considering this is the management team with highlights like drafting a guy, not being sure what position he should play, and then signing him anyway a year early, and trading Forsling for a guy that they would suddenly discover can't skate, is it really that outlandish that they'd decide Sutter is a winger now?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I think the whole winger thing was to feed Sutter some easy points to make the acquisition look good.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well, I mean, he did spend a chunk of time on the Sedins' wing this year.

It's really one of the few ways that Granlund fits in the picture (not saying it needs to make sense, considering management, but let's pretend we live in a world where they have an actual plan). Sutter is a winger, Horvat is 2C, McCaan goes to the AHL, Granlund fights with Vey for 3C, and Gaunce or Zalewski sort out 4C between them.

Considering this is the management team with highlights like drafting a guy, not being sure what position he should play, and then signing him anyway a year early, and trading Forsling for a guy that they would suddenly discover can't skate, is it really that outlandish that they'd decide Sutter is a winger now?

No I guess not. They've already established they have no idea what they're doing.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Jeebus, when did having too many centres become a negative? Cuz Benning, I know.

I would think it pertains Benning getting Granlund when has already picked up a similar player (smallish, non physical, skilled but not accomplishing much at an NHL level) in Vey.

Van PP is not good this year, we end up moving a kid tracking upwards that is on an entry level contract, also who is scoring on the man advantage. Maybe it is a reaction to residual feelings about this questionable transaction?

I hope there is no venom being spit at Gauncer, I like his game and hope he does well enough to get the 3rd line center spot in the next couple years.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I would think it pertains Benning getting Granlund when has already picked up a similar player (smallish, non physical, skilled but not accomplishing much at an NHL level) in Vey.

Van PP is not good this year, we end up moving a kid tracking upwards that is on an entry level contract, also who is scoring on the man advantage. Maybe it is a reaction to residual feelings about this questionable transaction?

I hope there is no venom being spit at Gauncer, I like his game and hope he does well enough to get the 3rd line center spot in the next couple years.

Bolded is true, but that's also what Benning gave up to acquire him. So we're net neutral in the smallish, non physical, skilled etc department.

PP I think is systems as much as anything. Hate some of the set ups we do...when we can actually gain the zone that is. Solution to the PP is as much Hutton, Bo, Bae, Virt, McCann developing, and finding a RHS from the point.

I like Gaunce too. Glad to see our most NHL ready prospect is going to have a chance to show what he can do.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Bolded is true, but that's also what Benning gave up to acquire him. So we're net neutral in the smallish, non physical, skilled etc department.

PP I think is systems as much as anything. Hate some of the set ups we do...when we can actually gain the zone that is. Solution to the PP is as much Hutton, Bo, Bae, Virt, McCann developing, and finding a RHS from the point.

I like Gaunce too. Glad to see our most NHL ready prospect is going to have a chance to show what he can do.

First bolded: I absolutely agree, our team has NO teeth. Very limited physical play along with not enough skill after the Sedins to play a skill game. IMO no team identity which screams as much about the team as it does the GM and management.

Second Bolded: Yes the systems are a mess, personnel decisions too. Coach WD putting Dorsett out late in game when we need a goal has taken years off of my life. I attended live games on Boxing day and Jan 4th, wow was it bad a product to watch.

I miss the days when we had 4 or 5 guys laying checks and making the opposition scared of the oncoming forecheck. Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Garrison from time to time. Im not saying we were the broadstreet bullies mind you, but we had the dynamic that if called upon we had push back.

I am glad we have Virtanen in respect to getting back to a harder game style to play against, Gaunce being a bigger body should hopefully help.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Gaunce leads Utica in non-Power Play goals this year:

Gaunce - 13G
Zalewski - 12G
Shinkaruk - 10G
Bancks - 9G
Grenier - 7G
Subban - 7G
Friesen - 7G

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Gaunce is going to get 6 minutes on the 4th line all defensive zone starts, then get traded

Asset management 101

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I have a real fear that there won't be a spot for Gaunce on the team next year, and even if there is it will be on the wing and not at centre.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't see what the worry is - we always keep 5 centers up, so it's obvious they consider Gaunce the 5th center. That said, they likely will still play him at wing as well to get him in the lineup.

I'm really interested in watching Gaunce. I've mentioned before I'm really not sure where he fits in the NHL, so hopefully we get a good look at him here to find out.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I wonder if they are legitimately considering throwing McCann in Utica next year. I think it would be the right course of action barring an awesome camp given how his season has went, but the optics wouldn't be great. Would make it seem like their development strategy was a waste of time.

With McCann in Utica we would have 5 centres with 3 having the option to move to wing (even if it's not ideal for Gaunce or probably for Granlund as well).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder if they are legitimately considering throwing McCann in Utica next year. I think it would be the right course of action barring an awesome camp given how his season has went, but the optics wouldn't be great. Would make it seem like their development strategy was a waste of time.

With McCann in Utica we would have 5 centres with 3 having the option to move to wing (even if it's not ideal for Gaunce or probably for Granlund as well).

I would think that's the plan - McCann in Utica. Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, Granlund and Gaunce as the 5 centers.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I never understood why he was converted to wing. Everything about his game tells me he's a two way third line centre type

The argument was that he was too comfortable as a center, and putting him on the wing forced him to move his feet and work harder for pucks. I don't know if there's any merit to that.

But he's a lot more valuable to the team as a depth player if he can play both positions.

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
I'm eager to see how they'll treat Gaunce in the last 20 games.Hope gets to play his natural position and 10+ minutes.If they recalled him to play on the wing and he gets 6-7 minutes per game then f*** it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad