Breakthrough season for Eichel

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Eichel, like Mac, and many others before him, is never going to get recognition until he puts up 90+ points and/or the Sabres start winning.

Eichel is outwardly emotional on and off the ice which makes him an easy target on a bad team. Even moreso now that he’s captain.

Jack also has to do almost everything himself. Spend a few minutes watching the consolidated games he’s been in. You’re going to see a player who feels like he cannot trust his teammates. Maybe it’s a fault. In conjunction with this point, Bylsma nor Housley have seemingly found “the guy” to help take Eichel to the next level on the wings. Reinhart helps bump Jacks corsi, but Sam has a positive corsi impact on anyone he plays with.

With that said Jack has big time skin in the game being named captain and being on an 8 year deal. If he wants to be a consistent winner he’s going to need to figure out how to not only be a top 10 player in the league, but also lead a team — and one that has been struggling for years at that.

Maybe Eichel isn’t the “generational #1 pick in any other draft since Crosby” superstar the media hyped him up to be. But to sit here and say Jack is a disappointment because he’s been the only player consistently putting up numbers for Buffalo is unfair to him — other legitimte criticisms aside. If Matthews, Laine, Barkov, etc were all struggling to be consistent on a horrid Sabres team many posters would be saying the same thing about them.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Eichel, like Mac, and many others before him, is never going to get recognition until he puts up 90+ points and/or the Sabres start winning.

Eichel is outwardly emotional on and off the ice which makes him an easy target on a bad team. Even moreso now that he’s captain.

Jack also has to do almost everything himself. Spend a few minutes watching the consolidated games he’s been in. You’re going to see a player who feels like he cannot trust his teammates. Maybe it’s a fault. In conjunction with this point, Bylsma nor Housley have seemingly found “the guy” to help take Eichel to the next level on the wings. Reinhart helps bump Jacks corsi, but Sam has a positive corsi impact on anyone he plays with.

With that said Jack has big time skin in the game being named captain and being on an 8 year deal. If he wants to be a consistent winner he’s going to need to figure out how to not only be a top 10 player in the league, but also lead a team — and one that has been struggling for years at that.

Maybe Eichel isn’t the “generational #1 pick in any other draft since Crosby” superstar the media hyped him up to be. But to sit here and say Jack is a disappointment because he’s been the only player consistently putting up numbers for Buffalo is unfair to him — other legitimte criticisms aside. If Matthews, Laine, Barkov, etc were all struggling to be consistent on a horrid Sabres team many posters would be saying the same thing about them.

Good post, yeah he’s not what you eluded to in the start of last paragraph but I really believe as do most who watch him, there’s so much there thats going to turn around and go in at some point. If he was what others suggested this alexei kovalev type with all the talent in the world but took games/shifts off I’d actually be inclined to with some of the critics who’ve suggested things that’s conpletely unwarranted in here.

Anyway it is what it is unfortunately and your the lead dog of a team that’s struggling and to highest payed player, captain (and GM of whatever the hell people think lol) as Rasmi posted above, people won’t give him he beneifit of the doubt until that happens. That’s just how it is. I don’t agree with that in hockey, it’s a team game when your star is on the bench two thirds of a game.

So clearly when considering that it’s not on him but he will wear it. Even if he hasnt took a single shift off so far this year and had been far and away our best player dahlin la close but yeah two players don’t make a team. It’s amazing we even have three wins with how abysmal the rest have been. Solid points all around from you.

The people who watch know and those who don’t say opinions means next to nothing. That’s just the mindset we gotta have, especially me.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am done with Eichel...he is dead to me...he will be in the AHL in 2 years...you guys called it, I will eat crow right now with salt, pepper, lemon, A1 sauce, Mr Pork Rub, paprika, cilantro, guac, oil/vinegar, and some red wine...

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
1. Why don't they play Skinner on his wing? Secondary scoring is kind of pointless when they in fact are point less, and so is the first line. So why have two crappy lines instead of one decent?

2. He has to use his speed more. One of the fastest guys in the league but he stubbornly slows the game down all the time.

3. He has to pass less. He has a great shot. Crash the net using his speed and finish himself.

4.Nothing against MacKinnon, but from what I have seen (not many NM games) there is nothing that indicates he has a higher hockey IQ than Eichel. Quite the opposite actually.

Eichel's only two flaws are his sometimes lack of relentlessness and his surrounding team. By relentlessness I mean the constant drive and effort to score. Like McDavid who's like a bunker controlled drone always going for the kill.

I mean seriously. The guy is amongst the fastest, has great IQ and vision, one of the best passers, has a great shot, incredible puck skills, great at covering the puck, he is big and strong. I honestly think he might have a better average on those skills than anyone else in the league. It's just that consistency and the drive. Unfortunately that could be a dealbreaker between being an Art Ross winner and "only" being a 85-90point C.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
1. Why don't they play Skinner on his wing? Secondary scoring is kind of pointless when they in fact are point less, and so is the first line. So why have two crappy lines instead of one decent?

2. He has to use his speed more. One of the fastest guys in the league but he stubbornly slows the game down all the time.

3. He has to pass less. He has a great shot. Crash the net using his speed and finish himself.

4.Nothing against MacKinnon, but from what I have seen (not many NM games) there is nothing that indicates he has a higher hockey IQ than Eichel. Quite the opposite actually.

Eichel's only two flaws are his sometimes lack of relentlessness and his surrounding team. By relentlessness I mean the constant drive and effort to score. Like McDavid who's like a bunker controlled drone always going for the kill.

I mean seriously. The guy is amongst the fastest, has great IQ and vision, one of the best passers, has a great shot, incredible puck skills, great at covering the puck, he is big and strong. I honestly think he might have a better average on those skills than anyone else in the league. It's just that consistency and the drive. Unfortunately that could be a dealbreaker between being an Art Ross winner and "only" being a 85-90point C.
He's slowing down with age and injuries, but Malkin has basically owned this category since entering the league.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

Solid post, I’ll try and touch on these the best way I can.

1) “Why isnt he with Skinner?” Phil Housley tried him the first game with Skinner and since then he hasn’t, just after one game. I mean I know Sheary played well with Crosby and in interviews talked about how badly he wanted to be paired with him but skinner deserves the shot, the minutes, he’s a pure sniper in a contract year! (Skinner) and In this one game it was the opener and Boston got embarrassed the night before 7-0 and is clearly still a good team, they had an opportunity to get the bad taste out of their mouths 24 hours later (and played with tons of emotion after the Marchand-Eller thing, “playing mad”) and beat buffalo 3-0. Or 4-0 due to the empty netter and go figure Marchand gets four pts Boston goes on four or five game winning streak. I don’t point this Bruin situation out S as an excuse but I’ve travelled with teams and you can’t even smile if you lose, teams have motivation to win the next night if it’s 24 hours later especially to change the feel in the room especially at the start. This is relevant to skinner I swear, lol, here’s why....so after this loss to Boston where eichel was with skinner maybe it’s the fact this was Eichels worst game looking back.....this or the second one against vegas and he wasn’t really terrible in either but the next game against New York Buffalo wins and in that game Sheary gets paired with him for the first time and Eich scores two goals. So now Housley probably thinks,.... “okay, well that works”. Then we won again the next game 5-2 over vegas so Housley must really like this Line now. It didn’t matter if we lost badly the next game after that against Colorado, he must of been convinced this was the best method despite skinner going pointless in all of these first four games. I truly hope he changes this because Sheary despite scoring a few with eichel has missed three or four times as many chances as he’s buried, or as he’s connected on just as a scoring chance, not talking goals. I THINK at the end of the sharks game eichel was with skinner late in the third. Hopefully that’s promising but to me Housley is a moron. I know I always hate blaming the coach but this is buffalos best roster in ten years which isn’t saying much and they should at least lose with some dignity or have some kind of system. He’s overplaying Hutton too. Linus Ullmark posted a 36 save shutout (and has payed his dues in the ahl) in his only game this year should of went in one of the last two. So I can’t answer housley, he’s still learning how to be a head coach I guess.

2) He should use his speed more.Very true. I think he hasn’t done this because he’s trying to be more defensively responsible, and not get caught everywhere. I say that based off two realities (he has broke up many rushes from the opposition, made donskoi look silly last night) and seems to be in good spots all the time to create turnovers. The change is noticeable already on a consistent basis and that’s nice to see but it’s still a work in progress. We’ve let in 19 goals in the last four losses so you won’t see this progress in say plus minus, but most sabres fans should tell you the same thing. He mentioned wanting to adapt more into a 200 foot player and I’ve seen progress that way. One thing about his speed is, it’s not just the take off that makes say his transition rushes look mcdavid like, it’s very different because it’s more his stride, his mobility and balance. Last Game he wanted to send a message i guess because nearly every shift he did something noticeable (using his speed as you say he should) In the first period he used this stride twice with wraparound opportunities turning perfectly but Jones is a great goalie and wasn’t fooled. Then he used his speed to go end to end and deke past four sharks but but once in close shot wide, that would of likely beaten out duclaid, johansen, Matthews, horvat for goal of the week but it didn’t even result in a shot. Lol

So far both things you’ve named (1 and 2) that I’ve touched on we’ve seen a glimpse in the last game so again, maybe that’s coming.

3 and 4 Are bang on, glad you agree, however to me Mack has more speed on the take off then eichel but it’s close that’s why he takes off and gets so many breakawAys (Mackinnon)

And again I hate to sound like a broken record but that killer instinct mcdavid way, where you’re trying so hard on every shift “ type thing”was what last game was all about versus the sharks and its a travesty (without being overly dramatic) he didn’t get even a point. But if we’re comparing his overall effort in a 82 game schedule to mcdavid, then I totally agree. McDavids so good he doesent even have to look like he’s trying and he will still come off that way. Dudes insane.

I really think things are going to turn around still, it has too....With all the opportunities created etc. However the only thing that can stop him to me anyway, is himself....(which is sort of what I got from your post) ..like if he begins to be a passenger when we’re down say 2-0 and if he gets down on himself And starts feeling sorry for himself. I mean in a way I’m glad he’s captain because that adds the accountability to make sure things like that never happen. Okposo has said he’s the hardest worker, first one there, last to leave (cliche stuff but I have no reason to doubt it) and becoming more responsible. It looks that way on the ice but who knows in the room. Hopefully....

Hopefully this wasn’t too long but you had good points and I wanted to touch on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: beukeboom

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The one ingredient he lacks is consistent drive and work ethic; too many ebbs and flows that prevent him from being consistently dominant. I still see a highly skilled player that gives up on puck battles (too often) and floats (too often).

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Guy's been injured a lot and has been hovering around PPG when he's been healthy.

Granted he's not on McDavid's level, but that's not really a fair comparison to make considering McDavid probably has only 1 or 2 other true peers close to his level.
I agree with you but I also have limited sympathy for Eichel when he's compared to McDavid because he did it just as much as everyone else.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
And now he’s PPG again.

I wish buffalo could score without him on the ice though. (+4)

ooo it stings.

Best compensation prize since Malkin.

You’d kill to have him as 1C in the Rangers. Lol

Good call putting skinner with Eichel, scores a hat trick in his first game and jack who got three it’s and finished a plus four.

Would you mind coaching us? Housley doesent need to be here.

The one ingredient he lacks is consistent drive and work ethic; too many ebbs and flows that prevent him from being consistently dominant. I still see a highly skilled player that gives up on puck battles (too often) and floats (too often).

Pretty terrible analysis here, he is hands down our hardest worker in almost every game. And clearly the most talented but that’s not even in question. His skating style may look like he floats to the casual glancing eye but it’s his stride. That’s how he skates, he keeps one skate to the outside and makes sharp turns and seems to always be in the right spot like all great players..do tell me what game he floated in? Sounds more
like a stereotype you read from a leaf fan and are repeating it. He’s still PPG this season like he has been essentially the last three years.

129 pts in his last 136 games.

This team can’t even score without him on the ice. 3 pts and plus four today. And he wasn’t even as good as he wasn’t in San Jose when he got nothing. He doesent give up in the play, the puck gets lost due to incompetence from others like Okposo and sadly Reinhart right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelovedIsles

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I agree with you but I also have limited sympathy for Eichel when he's compared to McDavid because he did it just as much as everyone else.
McDavid is fantastic, and he should be a Sabres. You could see it in his face the very moment Edmonton was announced as the lottery winner.
Face it, deep down inside McDavid, a fire burns within him to be a Sabres.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
And now he’s PPG again.

I wish buffalo could score without him on the ice though. (+4)

ooo it stings.

Best compensation prize since Malkin.

You’d kill to have him as 1C in the Rangers. Lol

Good call putting skinner with Eichel, scores a bat trick in his first game and jack plus 4 -3 pts lol.

Would you mind coaching us? Housley doesent need to be here.

Pretty terrible analysis here, he is hands down our hardest worker in almost every game. And clearly the most talented but that’s not even in question. His skating style may look like he floats to the casual glancing eye but it’s his stride. That’s how he skates, he keeps one skate to the outside and makes sharp turns and seems to always be in the right spot like all great players..do tell me what game he floated in? Sounds more
like a stereotype you read from a leaf fan and are repeating it. He’s still PPG this season like he has been essentially the last three years.

129 pts in his last 136 games.

This team can’t even score without him on the ice. 3 pts and plus four today. And he wasn’t even as good as he wasn’t in San Jose when he got nothing. He doesent give up in the play, the puck gets lost due to incompetence from others like Okposo and sadly Reinhart right now.
Maybe both Housley and Eichel read this thread.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Kids a stud. Cant believe all the hate he gets. He is a huge d-bag but who cares. Hes one of my favorite players in the league.

He will emerge this season. Hes already off to a real nice start. Last year he started suuuuuper slow and then exploded.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Kids a stud. Cant believe all the hate he gets. He is a huge d-bag but who cares. Hes one of my favorite players in the league.

He will emerge this season. Hes already off to a real nice start. Last year he started suuuuuper slow and then exploded.

Nice, just for clarification though:

First part- it really makes no difference to me what you think of the guys personality but I did want too mention that he’s actually way more mature now ....and at 18 I was a douche bag (arguably still am depending on who you ask but that’s not the point) and if I knew I was star before even entering the keague like him my ego would of gone through the roof. He’s much more mature now, apparently housley wanted to see that out of Eichel snd waited to give him the C. He started taking major accountability and blamed himself instead of we need to be better he took ownership and said I do. He’s even showing accountability on the ice improving defensively as well as being the harder worker each game, little things like staying on the bench to fist bump each sabres and a lot of other things. Also, his “personality” issues have been largely exaggerated (mainly by leaf fans.) calling him a diva and a crybaby yet they can’t find one quote at all that backs up such a claim or getting his coach fired. Dan Bylsma hasn’t been hired as a head coach for a reason. He got a job on Detroit and now their winless in 7 lol. Housley isn’t the best either but he is learning it’s his first gig. It’s hifhly possible the team had issues with him and possibly even the guy who hired him in murrAy and petulant got sick of the direction and changed things. Yet jack gets the blame. Anyway he’s not throwing tantrums like walking his stick over the net even though we’ve been outscored 19-3 in our losses and had ample opportunity to do just that.

Second paragraph, you sure your thinking of eichel and not reinhart? I see your from Vancouver Reinhart Is too and he had 11 pts before Christmas (super slow as you said) and ended up with 25 25 50 pts - ended up with 37 in his final 39. He’s unfortunately doing the same thing this year I call him grizzly cause he hibernates until January. He had hit a couple posts though and has three assists so he’s not all the way bad thus far I guess.

However eichel did sort of start slow but I only remember something like 19 it’s in his final 12 or something which would suggest he still kept five or so pts back of PPG last year. You may be right. One thing I don’t understand though is he not on that he has to “breakout” still...he’s got 129 pts in his last 136 games without a quality linemate until gown if skinner gets going. If you mean not suffer a fluke ankle sprain and finish with a really high pt total for once when saying breakout then I agree. Even when he doesent score or get its he’s getting or creating literally some nights a dozen opportunities. Like against the sharks two nights ago when he got nothing.. either way it’s cool to hear as a Van fan.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Eichel at a PPG after 9 games and the sabres are 5-4. The past 2 games I've noticed Eichel playing a much stronger game along the boards and just grinding more in general. His motor has been running at 100% every shift. His increased energy seems to have infected the rest of the team in a good way. Here's to hoping he keeps playing like this.

The scary thing is that he has started slow every season. If this is his slow so far and he's going to pick up the scoring pace like he has every season... watch out NHL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He made maybe the most underrated play today. So underrated the broadcast didn’t even notice it. On Skinner’s goal he creates the 2-1 by skating back between 2 Ducks on the boards and springing Pominville with a no look backhand pass from the wall so quickly no one seemed to notice it. Once you see it though...it’s crazy good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00