Breakthrough players in KHL in 2016-2017

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Zub was invited to NT for EHT, probably the most surprising name on it. That's mostly right hand bias but definitely puts him on the map.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Or these players mentioned looking good just because they are getting minutes and opportunities people in other clubs don't get. Not so much applicable to Zub but to Murygin and Osipov especially. IMHO Zub is at the same level as entire Loko top 6, if not top 8. Cherepanov is being bounced back and forth as redundant piece and he was just as good last year for Amur.

And again, Znarok really likes his right handers.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
BTW, all the talk about the little Vladimir Tkachyov, what about the bigger one?

He is having a very nice start to the season.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Andrei Kareyev's first shutout of the season is a good reason to post what will be my final little update about Kuznya kids. With that SO win (his 2nd of the season), Kareyev has 93.3 sv% with 2.35 GAA, which could easily be one of the best KHL seasons ever if he can keep these numbers up. Biryukov has officially been relegated to a backup, as Kareyev passed him in games played tonight.

Nikita Lyamkin is making a good progress over the season. He's more reliable in his own zone now, much better along the boards and is finally getting a bit of offense with 6 points (2+4) in October.
Timur Fatkullin has become a reliable 2nd pairing regular and averages 13:24 a game with 4 points (1+3) over the season.

With a major offensive slump, not a lot of good can be said about the forwards, unfortunately.
Kirill Semyonov has been great defensively and made some strong hockey plays, but he only has 1 goal in the last 8 games for 12 points (6+6) over 27 KHL games. Still a respectable production, beautiful SO winner today as well (and this with Barulin knowing it's Kirill's best move, ha ha).

Evgeny Solovyov has been one of the few scoring threats for the Berdnikov's boys with 4 goals the last 9 games and 8 points (6+2) in 18 games since being called up.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Zub probably is another one of those who makes the most out of the fact that he is coming through the ranks of a poor team.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Zub probably is another one of those who makes the most out of the fact that he is coming through the ranks of a poor team.

Another thing going for Zub is that he was not a great talent as a teenager, and was thus saved from ruining his career in the Canadian junior leagues.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ozhiganov is lean? He damn near 210.

That's not much for someone with 188 cm height. Also, more importantly, he plays lean. Not necessarily a bad thing in Europe but you need to have more of a physical presence in NA.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Another thing going for Zub is that he was not a great talent as a teenager, and was thus saved from ruining his career in the Canadian junior leagues.

He did debut in MHL being very young and he also played for Russia U18 team, so he certainly had plenty of talent.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Has anyone mentioned Daniil Vovchenko? He's impressed me almost every time I've watched him play.

Yeah reminds of Kuptsov and Vovchenko, two guys that fit the mold. Vovchenko (maybe not so random) has pretty sweet hands and is surprisingly strong on the puck for a small guy, I could see him getting big minutes and having a big year.

Ive been keeping a close eye on him all year. He has developed nice chemistry with Trunyov. Both guys have looked really good and are getting significant PP time. I actually think he plays better on the smaller ice surface too. He had one of his best games of the season in Zagreb and had a good showing at the super series last year. Small sample size but from what I saw see, it was conclusive.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Wanted to mention Mateukhin, not young by any means. But has come out of nowhere this year, scoring some highly skilled goals in bunches.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He was always a highly skilled player, a shooter too, which is quite unusual for someone from Russian hockey school but always thought about as not good enough for the KHL. He kind of lucked his way into it and is here to stay, being a really good player if used correctly. Since Ukraine mostly was in the same WC division as Lithuania I had to watch him yearly throughout his career and it's really nice he broke through to the big stage, I'd imagine there are many players throughout the world who were just never given a chance at the higher level. And by given a chance I mean put in the position to succeed which Materukhin was because the season Minsk signed him they were so bad they had no one else to put out there with any skill. They only signed him out of desperation, too.

Going back to Vovchenko, I was actually surprised today he is still just 20. It seems like his name was out there for years. My opinion was "well he gets TOI he has to produce" but actually for a 20 year-old what he manages to do is really nice, definitely someone to keep an eye on. Still strange he didn't play in WJC last year, that's why I thought he was older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad