Breakthrough players in KHL in 2016-2017

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is a good player obviously and we did mention him last season a lot as it was his first real season in the KHL and he did very well. Thing is he is getting 11 minutes per game with little to no chance of getting more in foreseeable future so hard to expect any major breakout. He finished last season on pace for 26 points in 60 games (scored 17 in 40), I don't think he can get significantly more than that under the circumstances.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm not sure if the term breakthrough is only applied for young players but if this is not the case, my person of interest is Torchenyuk. He's not very young at the age of 25 but this is only the second KHL campaign for him. In the first one, he had 8 goals and 19 assists in 60 regular season games and +3 followed by a record of nothing except for a sad -6 in 6 play-off games.

This season, however, after 6 games, he's a PPG player with 4 goals and 2 assists. And mind you: those 6 games were not walk in the park for Avtomobilist. They played Avangard, Salavat Yulaev and Metallurg MG beating the latter two in the process.

To be honest I know nothing about him, therefore I have no idea of what is expected - maybe he's a potential superstar and my words may seem as funny as, "Dude, Messi is destined to be a good player!" but judging by his stats and news I could find about him, it seems this is not the case. We can enjoy this unexpectedly good start, I guess.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
No, Torch is mentioned in my first post reviewing last season's breakthrough players. He is really offensively talented center CSKA gave up on back in the day (maybe due to the reason big clubs prefer defense first kind of players) and a VHL success story as he developed into who he is there. He is getting the minutes now in Avto and they went into 1A and 1B center setup where Koukal plays more defensive assignments and Torch is paired with Golyshev to create offense.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Andrei Kareyev with 50 saves (.980) and a win against Slovan. Looked absolutely tremendous against Lokomotiv and Dynamo as well, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the starting job again this year. Too bad he's pretty small by modern "standards", or he'd already be called one of the best goalie prospects in all of the KHL.

Kirill Semyonov with his 2nd goal tonight, 2+1 after 7 games so far.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Andrei Kareyev with 50 saves (.980) and a win against Slovan. Looked absolutely tremendous against Lokomotiv and Dynamo as well, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the starting job again this year. Too bad he's pretty small by modern "standards", or he'd already be called one of the best goalie prospects in all of the KHL.

Kirill Semyonov with his 2nd goal tonight, 2+1 after 7 games so far.

When I said here, that Semyonov has hire (or at least comparable) potential than Kazakov - I got laughed at. What do you think now?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
When I said here, that Semyonov has hire (or at least comparable) potential than Kazakov - I got laughed at. What do you think now?
Well, Semyonov isn't as talented, but he can possibly have a better career: he's better at defense, more willing to fight for the puck, so coaches will likely trust him more.
An assist today, 7 shots and a very solid overall performance.

Denis Vikharev (1992) has scored goals in 2 straight games after going his 47 first games without a goal.

Lyamkin with an awful game.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
1+1 for Okulov today against Yugra, 2+2 in 7 games this season

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Robert Sabolic has good start to his 1st KHL season, 3 pts in 3 games. He was 2nd in goals last year in Extraliga, playing for Sparta Prague. All 3 from our TSJ line have slowly but steadily reached KHL, well earned.

Admiral win in Nizhniy Novgorod, Sabolic with two goals. :handclap: If I'm not mistaken he now has 9 points to his name (4+5) in 6 games. Quite the start!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Again, Sabolič is as much a rookie as any other established pro playing his first season in the KHL (as in "not really").

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He will play for Dynamo until 2018 and will sign with Avs then. That much is almost written in stone, I think.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Again, Sabolič is as much a rookie as any other established pro playing his first season in the KHL (as in "not really").

This is true however but we must consider he's coming from extraliga which is well below KHL level (no disrespect) and not from SHL, AHL or even NHL, so it's obviously quite a step from him. He was only 0.5 ppg not too long ago in DEL, so i must say that this is surprisingly good start from him (7 games - 10 points so far, 6th in KHL) but yeah, he is established pro with plenty of international experiences.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I've been watching Sabolič closely since DEL and I'm not so surprised.

I've been watching him since his excellent 10/11 EBEL season and working his way up slowly but steadily. There was little doubt he won't be successful in KHL but i didn't expect him to be top 10 in scoring all of a sudden, small sample size so far.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think the thing lost in this conversation is the fact that it was only hot start. I still don't expect Sabolic to finish the season with 60 points. Or 50. Even 40 is still a stretch. And if he ends up with 30-35 points that's exactly what was expected. Admiral aren't going to continue scoring 3 goals per game on average either.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think the thing lost in this conversation is the fact that it was only hot start. I still don't expect Sabolic to finish the season with 60 points. Or 50. Even 40 is still a stretch. And if he ends up with 30-35 points that's exactly what was expected. Admiral aren't going to continue scoring 3 goals per game on average either.

I think, Tkachev factor plays its role as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad