Breakthrough players in KHL in 2016-2017

Ed Kastelic

May 9, 2006
slovenia
Two way factor obviously.I think this seasson is just another step forward for Sabolič. Very smart player with a sniper shot.Don't be surprissed...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think, Tkachev factor plays its role as well.

Well Tkachyov isn't exactly Mozyakin yet. And they didn't play together for what is still a major part of this season. Obviously it did make an impact, not sure if a major one.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Have you guys mentioned goalie Ivan Nalimov?

He is a big goalie and impressive reflexes. I think he has a lot of talent, but is pretty raw at this point.

If he can improve his technique, he can certainly be a NT player.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Alexei Byvaltsev deserves a mention here. I doubt he will score more than 20 points this season (20 would actually be pretty good) but a guy who can really skate. The kind of player Znarok's Dynamo in it's heyday was made off, Denis Kokarev comes to mind as a comparable. Also he looks/plays bigger than 181 cm he is listed at. If he keeps hardworking defense-first attitude this will be a player every team wants playing for them. Having said that, his defense requires work to fit that role as he was most likely a scorer in junior who didn't exactly see himself in checking role back then.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A good game for Kuznya youth tonight, so time to review what does the youngest team in the league have to offer with breakthrough players.

Andrei Kareyev is now a frequent backup in Novokuznetsk, he appeared in 7 games, went 2-4 (or 1-4-1, as khl.com insists), has pretty impressive stats of 92.6 sv% and 2.63 GAA. He makes some very good reaction saves, but still struggles with the short corner shots.
Vladislav Podyapolsky only played 45 minutes so far.

Nikita Lyamkin is used as a 1st pairing defenseman these days, playing 19:03 a game and used a lot on PP, he also tries joining the attack a lot. More responsibilities bring the best out of his defensive game, but he has no points in 16 games and is still pretty inconsistent. -3 on the season so far.
Timur Fatkullin (1997) seems to have won a KHL job, playing on the 2st pair today in his 4th game and scoring his first 2 KHL points (1+1). He's a good-sized defenseman (189 cm, 92 kg), skates well and seems to understand the principles of hockey.

No forward is making an impact like Kazakov and Kaprizov did last year, but some of them still play respectable hockey.

Kirill Semyonov scored 1+1 today, along with a good SO goal, and is now leading the team with 7 points (3+4) in 16 games, -4. A skilled and smart player, he's also surprisingly physical, leading the team with 29 hits. His play without the puck is also very solid.
Kirill Lebedev doesn't seem to be taking off as I hoped, but still has 2+4 with -2. Like Semyonov, he's really good without the puck, winning a lot of board battles and responsible while defending.
Another talked about forward is Evgeny Solovyov (1992). he got sent down to the VHL, scored 4 goals in 2 games there and is now back with Kuznya, having scored 2+1 in 7 games with Metallurg.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Ya interesting post! for Kuznya they seem to be having early season jitters with the offense. Disappointed with Anisin as I thought given lots of ice time and longer leash he could spark guys like Lebedev and Semyonov. I would expect more of what they showed today once they get going, still early. Semyonov goal was a nice one today.

Also given the emergence of Kareyev they mine as well cut ties with Biryukov in order to open up some salary for another forward/defenseman. They have played Biryukov 11 games and only has 1 win. Its not that he wasn't good in all of those games, but if you can plug the hole with something cheaper and not that much more water leaks, then do it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Semyonov overall has been very impressive this year, has a really good motor and always gives effort. Saw they even game him an "A".

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Another shutout for Shestyorkin and as of now he has .942 save percentage. Koskinen may have to warm the bench for a little longer. Maybe more than a little.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
With MNK getting 4 points in 2 games against Sibir, no surprise the youngsters have something to show.

Kareyev seems to have shown another veteran goaltender he's a very serious competition: the team has point in 3 straight games he played, and he sits with very respectable stats: 92.6 sv%, 2.58 GAA.

Lyamkin had his first two points of the season (1+1), even.
Fatkullin inexplicably saw a sharp ice time decrease, he now leads the team with +1 ( :( ) and beat up an old man Gubin.

Semyonov had an assist and played 24:11 in the first game against Sibir, now leading the team with 9 pts in 18 games (3+6) and forwards with 18:32. He also took no **** from some huge goon from the clap-city in a good fight; unrelated, Artyukhin picked up on the smallest Kuznya defenseman that game :shakehead

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How stupid are these Russian kids though, if you are going to fight drop the damn gloves :facepalm:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
How stupid are these Russian kids though, if you are going to fight drop the damn gloves :facepalm:

Very frustrating to see. I would rather the player turn away than throw hits with the gloves on. Its pretty random, sometimes a random Russian guy will surprise me and know how to handle himself, then there are the guys where its like you should know better.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Mursak is still long ways ahead. So 3rd at best and even then to me it's a tie between him and Ticar.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Demchenko and Kareyev were already mentioned, but what about 20-year-old Krasikov?

Pavel Koledov was off to a great start before injury. Candidate for this year's NT?

We have been waiting for Andrei Mironov to really breakout for 2 years already, maybe this is finally the season.

Who is this Artyom Blezhiyevsky (D) guy? Great season in VHL last year and is off to a decent start with CSKA this season.

Damir Musin might be an interesting guy. He currently is top in +/- in KHL among all non-SKA/non-CSKA players.

Overall, I expect some new blood in the Russia's EHT defense this year and maybe on the WHC roster also.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nobody foreseen Krasikov breaking out because I think most people expected him to get ~10 games behind Salak. It's just that Sibir's season is taking weird turns and created him this niche.

Koledov, as most guys on Loko D, are NT candidates. So is every guy on SKA and most CSKA ones so the competition will be stiff.

Regarding Mironov, I don't think I expect him to break out any more than he did already. He played in WC already. It's just that this season he gets more PP time, that's all.

Musin still has loads of problems in his own zone, still has ways to go to become anything. Leading in +/- is combination of Ak Bars and luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad