BREAKING NEWS, REFS SUCK! oil lose 2-1

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sometimes I feel like this is all some weird rollercoaster we're on with the hockey gods to lead us to five 1st overalls in 7 years, to allign with the 5 Cups in 7 years.

We can't buy a break, the Oilers probably deserved to win that game and deserved a better fate in the last game too.

Would be an ironic twist especially in the last season at Northlands/Rexall.

Fresh beginning at Rogers Place will come at the perfect time. For the first off season in a long time, I'm genuinely optimistic about the direction this team is heading in and the vision from upper management.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yeah, you still don't get it.
You're being pretty determined in stating that you are seeing this situation correctly. Not sure its as clear cut as you think it is.

If the system is unfair and nobody speaks up publicly, in a way that is outside the rules, there is no incentive for the rule makers to change. You assume they are intelligent folks who will appreciate a reasoned and fair argument. Personally I tend to doubt that will work. The NHL in general seems to be making lame decision after lame decision in total and utter disregard for what the fans actually want. Why would officiating be any different.

I agree with BBO - when you are dealing with chumps like the NHL (and refs union) a little public embarrassment is the currency they understand best.

Its a moot point though because McLellan has no intention of complaining. He refuses to say anything other than 'its out of our control. We just play'. Its been the same answer all season whenever he gets asked about officiating. Its too bad. If I were him, I'd definitely take the fine to make sure the point got made.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Does anyone care to read all these rants? Doesn't do a bit of good or change anything.

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
A little photoshop and this would be perfect...

anigif_enhanced-7504-1409840659-7.gif

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wish I knew how to photoshop a ref uniform on the guy pulling the tank and Oilers uniforms on the guys on top of the tank.

anigif_enhanced-7504-1409840659-7.gif

The sad thing is the Oilers aren't trying to tank.

If you look around we don't have tank threads (see Van) or any of that crap, we want to win and are cheering for success. McLellan isn't purposely icing a roster with AHL call ups after trading away every player with value for draft picks (see Toronto). We want to see our guys battle and play hard, that's what makes it so disappointing.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The NHL uses inept officiating to maintain parity. and parity in this case is with the NHL playoff teams, they have playoffs to promote in California. Without Canadian teams the NHL has to promote and market like crazy...

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
How is professional officiating so obviously biased an nothing is ever done about it? Even I was able to evade the notion of it all season, but it's pretty appalling when you think about it. Of course, we'll be cast aside as ****-hurt fans who have nothing else substantial to cheer for and, therefore, have a persecution complex.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You're being pretty determined in stating that you are seeing this situation correctly. Not sure its as clear cut as you think it is.

If the system is unfair and nobody speaks up publicly, in a way that is outside the rules, there is no incentive for the rule makers to change. You assume they are intelligent folks who will appreciate a reasoned and fair argument. Personally I tend to doubt that will work. The NHL in general seems to be making lame decision after lame decision in total and utter disregard for what the fans actually want. Why would officiating be any different.

I agree with BBO - when you are dealing with chumps like the NHL (and refs union) a little public embarrassment is the currency they understand best.

Its a moot point though because McLellan has no intention of complaining. He refuses to say anything other than 'its out of our control. We just play'. Its been the same answer all season whenever he gets asked about officiating. Its too bad. If I were him, I'd definitely take the fine to make sure the point got made.

Unfortunately, there is not much evidence to show that the NHL responds positively to being embarrassed. They do respond to internal pressure.

The fan in me would have loved to see MacLellan blast the refs publically, though he certainly is not shy about letting them know his feelings during the games, unlike a previous unnamed coach. But this is a systemic issue and it is not unique to the Oilers. Games are being ruined by the quality or lack there of of the officiating. To me this has to be taken up the ladder through the GM's or the BOG.

My guess is that there are enough teams that are probably fed up to make something happen. The changes to gaolie equipment took a long time but enough noise was made internally that it is happening. If they really want to make that game better and more exciting at the same time addressing the officals and the way games are called should be even easier since I am sure they would have an ally in the NHLPA.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I cant believe Nurse is relied on to play so many mins. He played most mins on Oilers and 2nd most mins in the game. He should be playing a lot less mins IMO. I realize that there really aren't many other options, but still I hate seeing that

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The anger and ******** caused by Maroon taking the puck is simply hilarious.

There is one thing I do have to say about this situation though.

That situation spoke volumes to me how used to losing the team is unfortunately. For some reason it really bothered me. Most teams after a loss are pissed off and mad, but in that interview he was laughing and joking around and having fun. Just seems odd during this season they are having, they are laughing and having fun in the dressing room after games after their losses.

He should have just let it be and not said anything and it would have eventually came out why he took the puck. Media would have dug around and found out

Just really bothered me!!!!

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

That situation spoke volumes to me how used to losing the team is unfortunately. For some reason it really bothered me. Most teams after a loss are pissed off and mad, but in that interview he was laughing and joking around and having fun. Just seems odd during this season they are having, they are laughing and having fun in the dressing room after games after their losses.

He should have just let it be and not said anything and it would have eventually came out why he took the puck. Media would have dug around and found out

Maybe a positive attitude is something this team needs. He hasn't exactly hurt the team since his arrival.

Anyways, I've seen enough GIF's of reactions to the ref's and their blatant non calls (Hall) and calls (offiside) against the Oilers, that I can assure you there was a lot of anger in that locker room yesterday.

Best part of the game for me was Nurse's errant shoot in attempt. A bit of payback.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the only thing I can think of is that the linesman thought there was no way McDavid keeps that puck in so that was a premeditated whistle

because that was a terrible call...

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
Ya no kidding.

"Gotta get the call right."

Too bad it only works one way. The way that takes away offense.

How would you challenge that?

"Okay guys, I was wrong. Everyone get back into the exact same positions and forget that we called offside, otherwise it wouldn't be fair."

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

Maroon has history with the Ducks, he was pissed leaving a stanley cup contender im sure, so he wanted to get back at them. Maroon is the last peron on the oilers to question about having too much fun after a loss. He already spoke up his first week after a loss showing anger.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
An underrated bad ref moment last night for me was when Perry blatantly slashed Lander and a second later lander swats a rolling puck that goes out of the rink for a penalty.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Wow to that Connor gif. It shows what is special with that kid. In about 1 second you see all 5 steps in grieving: denial, bargaining, anger, depression, acceptance. He processes everything at light speed.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Wow to that Connor gif. It shows what is special with that kid. In about 1 second you see all 5 steps in grieving: denial, bargaining, anger, depression, acceptance. He processes everything at light speed.

Also shows how much class he has. I doubt we will ever hear or read about character issues with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad