BREAKING NEWS, REFS SUCK! oil lose 2-1

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I cant believe Nurse is relied on to play so many mins. He played most mins on Oilers and 2nd most mins in the game. He should be playing a lot less mins IMO. I realize that there really aren't many other options, but still I hate seeing that

Came out 50% in corsi on night vs Getzalf

What a beast night for Nurse

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Clendening only played 6:30 last night. What a tire fire he has been.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow to that Connor gif. It shows what is special with that kid. In about 1 second you see all 5 steps in grieving: denial, bargaining, anger, depression, acceptance. He processes everything at light speed.

Really interesting observation. heh. Interestingly worded but I don't doubt his in the moment real time processing power is immense. You don't get this good at something without being either a savant, or very intelligent in this domain.

Combine that with the maturity this *kid* has and well. :amazed:

Hall would break his stick. Yak would hang his head, McDavid in secs is going through all his options. He exists on a different plane.

I think he selected will get them next time, will get them real good..:laugh:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Unfortunately, there is not much evidence to show that the NHL responds positively to being embarrassed. They do respond to internal pressure.
To some extent, all corporations in this day and age will respond to being embarrassed. Embarrass them enough and you will get action.
Well except the Edmonton Oilers, their capacity for absorbing and deflecting embarrassment is legendary.

However, I get the point, and I'm not naive enough to think that McLellan taking the fine will suddenly instill competence in the most inept group of officials ever assembled by a professional league. Nor is coach shooting off likely to make the NHL more sympathetic to teams' frustration with the way officiating is ruining games, or lead to meaningful improvement in the way refs manage the game.

I understand those points. But its gone past that now. For me, I don't even care about getting a 'positive' response from the NHL because I think the NHL simply doesn't care about fans like you and me and they are going to keep on destroying the game regardless of whether a few voices of dissent are timidly raised through the correct channels. I want the points back that the referees have cost the Oilers this season with calls that really most beer league officials would get right. And since that isn't going to happen I want McLellan to make it clear that the Oilers are tired of playing their guts out only to have the game swing on botched calls. Again and again.

Its not right, and it calls into question the integrity of the league and the officials. I mean at this point any reasonable fan watching games around the league (cause I see it happen to other teams too) is left to conclude that officiating is either corrupt or incompetent. Kings fans dropped by the board to say how legendary the bad calls were the other night. I even read Flames fans saying "Oilers got jobbed". **** like that only happens when the mistakes otherworldly. And they are piling up.

I get that slamming and mocking the refs may be the immature way to deal with things. And probably not particularly effective either, but when you are this bad you don't deserve to skate away with your pride intact. That's why I think Mclellan needs to step up here. Enough is enough. When he just hangs his head in disbelief on the bench (like he did tonight) and then says 'out of our control' in the post game interviews ... I dunno, it seems like sending the wrong message to the team. I would absolutely want my coach to say something at this point. And really, that's McLellan's job. Massaging the fragile confidence and team spirit of this club. Who cares what the NHL thinks? That's not his job, let Chiarelli deal with that.

10-15K isn't much in the world of pro sports. After watching the players seethe at the officiating night after night, I feel confident in saying that a McLellan rant on officiating would be invaluable to the players right now.

The only reason I can see for not doing it is that the season is over. And any lift it might give the team really has nowhere to take them anyway.

#freewideman

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah he was real bad. I really really hope there are some clever ways to improve the defence this off-season, because we need it in the worst way.

he got stapled to the bench then came out for a shift and got scored on.....busted. hes terrible.

justin schultz thinks he sucks

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Clendening is still more watchable than Schultz.

He's garbage but he's garbage because he's garbage instead of because he doesn't care.

-2 in 6 and a half minutes though. These sorts of liabilities have been killing us for years now.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
To some extent, all corporations in this day and age will respond to being embarrassed. Embarrass them enough and you will get action.
Well except the Edmonton Oilers, their capacity for absorbing and deflecting embarrassment is legendary.

However, I get the point, and I'm not naive enough to think that McLellan taking the fine will suddenly instill competence in the most inept group of officials ever assembled by a professional league. Nor is coach shooting off likely to make the NHL more sympathetic to teams' frustration with the way officiating is ruining games, or lead to meaningful improvement in the way refs manage the game.

I understand those points. But its gone past that now. For me, I don't even care about getting a 'positive' response from the NHL because I think the NHL simply doesn't care about fans like you and me and they are going to keep on destroying the game regardless of whether a few voices of dissent are timidly raised through the correct channels. I want the points back that the referees have cost the Oilers this season with calls that really most beer league officials would get right. And since that isn't going to happen I want McLellan to make it clear that the Oilers are tired of playing their guts out only to have the game swing on botched calls. Again and again.

Its not right, and it calls into question the integrity of the league and the officials. I mean at this point any reasonable fan watching games around the league (cause I see it happen to other teams too) is left to conclude that officiating is either corrupt or incompetent. Kings fans dropped by the board to say how legendary the bad calls were the other night. I even read Flames fans saying "Oilers got jobbed". **** like that only happens when the mistakes otherworldly. And they are piling up.

I get that slamming and mocking the refs may be the immature way to deal with things. And probably not particularly effective either, but when you are this bad you don't deserve to skate away with your pride intact. That's why I think Mclellan needs to step up here. Enough is enough. When he just hangs his head in disbelief on the bench (like he did tonight) and then says 'out of our control' in the post game interviews ... I dunno, it seems like sending the wrong message to the team. I would absolutely want my coach to say something at this point. And really, that's McLellan's job. Massaging the fragile confidence and team spirit of this club. Who cares what the NHL thinks? That's not his job, let Chiarelli deal with that.

10-15K isn't much in the world of pro sports. After watching the players seethe at the officiating night after night, I feel confident in saying that a McLellan rant on officiating would be invaluable to the players right now.

The only reason I can see for not doing it is that the season is over. And any lift it might give the team really has nowhere to take them anyway.

#freewideman

:handclap: Very well written, much respect for writing it.

I like when guys like Quenneville or Babcock blatantly say something. Mostly because they are the marquee coaches. In any sport I watch I want to see what the most respected guys in there position are thinking or saying.

I like how Queneville will do it and has recently in the playoffs.

If they say it once or twice then the league takes notice, and it looks petty in all pro sports when your fining those who question them. Fining coaches is probably the most petty thing you could do, considering this day in age, hockey coaches especially are some of the lowest paid in all 4 pro sports.

Refs are an extension of Bettman and when they get complete autonomy then you make things worse. I get Mclellan wants his players to not have a built in excuse, but i do hope in the room he is creating an us against the world mentality to rally the guys around the team, and everything he says in the media is just lip service.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

#freewideman

I understand the frustration. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that terrible calls have cost the Oilers 8-10 points this year. Not that it would make them a playoff team but if this team was looking at finishing the season with 80 points with three decent games down the stretch even with all the injuries the year might not look as bad.

There were some terrible calls in the Columbus game last night that probably cost them at least a point. You can see Torts interview here

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/video/john-tortorella-post-game-32816/t-277437100/c-43037503

My guess is that a lot of coaches are just outraged about this but have decided it is not worth commenting. Sad but it looks like that is how it is.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Clendening only played 6:30 last night. What a tire fire he has been.

How many one-goal games have the Oilers lost because of goals that Schultz and/or Clendening fumbled away to the opponents? I honestly believe the team would be around 0.500 if injuries didn't force them into the line-up for more games than they deserved to play.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Except more effective in every area of the game except skating (and maybe the shootout:laugh: The paralyzer)

True he has the potential to put up much bigger totals and is more effective in front of the net.

What I should have been more clear of us was the he could be our heart and soul guy. Always improving, rallying the guys, looking to shift the momentum and to crush a few people to get the puck going in the right direction.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I'd really like someone to put together a video of all the BS calls and send it to "Ask the Ref" on TSN.

It's just freaking horrid.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I'm a mature, sane, level headed and very reasonable person.

Is the NHL fixed? Serious question.

YES., Been so for a while., see the Canadiens so called dynasties., now it's doing everything to promote the sport (business) to the who cares southern USA ICE HOCKEY markets

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Maroon stole the puck after the game because Anaheim has a traditional of keeping pucks or something and he wanted to get under their skin

Getzlaf asked for it after Maroon wouldn't give it to that player in the full face mask. Maroon wouldn't give it to Getzlaf either and threw it in the garbage. NICE!

Fitting. It was a garbage win.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I'd really like someone to put together a video of all the BS calls and send it to "Ask the Ref" on TSN.

I've come to the Oilers board like 5/6 times

Each time because of calls like this,

There is literally no exaggeration to this

The Oilers are by and far the most unfairly officiated, it's bizarre

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
No, he's not. Creating a media circus around this would shine a very bright light on how the Oilers have been reffed for the entire year. This means more coverage from media outlets and more analysis from the hockey heads. You think the refs would continue to be this inept and horrible if their was a highlighted past of them doing that exact thing? I bet they'd be more aware that they have to actually put in an effort instead of skating by because the Oilers are a perpetual bottom feeder. Coughing up 10 grand to atleast limit the amount of garbage the team will take going further atleast to the point that it would actually be taken seriously from public perception and the refs would have to be aware that they would be looked at and more heavily scrutinized doing Oilers game is basically worth the cost.

Completely agree.

Sticking our head in the sand, and hoping it gets better isn't going to work. When it gets as bad as it is now, you can't just ignore it. It literally can't get any worse than it is now.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

id love this

id love this if they included the blatant non-calls followed by identical pLAYS BY oilers that get immediately called in the same game

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I've come to the Oilers board like 5/6 times

Each time because of calls like this,

There is literally no exaggeration to this

The Oilers are by and far the most unfairly officiated, it's bizarre

Its pretty bad when other fans start noticing it. At first you could look at it a bit subjectively and in the back of your mind assume that its possibly just bad luck or not noticing the other side. But now???? Way past that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad