Waived: Breaking: Hearing Rangers have waived Diaz, Megna.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But still the Rangers called him and wanted him to return, and he signed a 700k deal..

Right, he's not worthless. He's just not that good, either. That's why the deal he got was for barely over the minimum and an opportunity to compete for the last defense spot on the team.

I seriously doubt that at any point this season we will be lamenting the absence of Raphael ****ing Diaz. It's stupid Glass is on the team ahead of him, but let's not make this loss out to be more than it is.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Trust me, they'd really like to keep him, but there just wasn't room because of what they decided to do up front. It was out of the question to waive McIlrath, and no other D is on the move at this point.

There wasn't room for a guy they really like because they have two forwards they don't really want?

He didn't make the team. He's poor in his own end, poor on the breakout. He's an offensive d man who never scores when he plays against all NHL level competition. He's been the same thing on every team he's ever played for. Feasting on preseason pp points doesn't mean a lot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I believe we have an abundance of leadership and locker room guys. We are essentially paying for a cheerleader. Trading our captain in the midst of a playoff run didn't seem to hurt us much. Just feel that no matter how good of a dressing room guy he is doesn't justify crippling our fourth line.

I totally agree. Unfortunately the coach and/or front office do not.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Well, that's just it. I don't think the players on this team think negatively about Glass. In fact, I think just the opposite. Yes, it might be old style thinking, but I think they appreciate it when Glass goes after a dog like Zack Rinaldo, when he "has their proverbial backs." I bet there isn't a player on this team who feels that Glass is hurting this team...just the opposite.

A team is made up of many moving parts and each player contributes according to their gifts. In Glass's case it's certainly not offensive ability. From everything I can glean, the players on every team he has been on have not looked at him as some slug hurting them or the team. His contributions are not in terms of offensive production, possession, time, shots suppressed or generated. I bet teammates do give a **** about him, generally like him, and don't look at him as hurting the team.

Again, I am not a Glass fan. If he were gone, well that's OK. This is not a defense of him. It is an attempt to understand what makes the Rangers a team. Of all sports, hockey is the one where team is the most important, where players take seriously the "I want to go to war with this guy" mentality. The Ranger players seem to want Glass there with him. He is not the slug you make him out to be who players can't wait to get out of town.

I get what your saying for sure. The truth is these are all assumptions, none of us are in the room. We have no idea what truly goes on behind the scenes. Of course the players appreciate him stepping up the plate against punks, so do I. Thing is there are plenty of guys around the league that can do that and play the game. I just go by what I can see, not what I am told by media figures that goes on behind the scenes. Of course players and coaches will always point to a players intangibles and him being a good "room guy" when talking about a guy of his skill. What else are they going to talk about? I think the whole thing is overrated just cant accept it!

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Did you read any of that posters previous thoughts on Glass? How he "sucks at hockey and AV knows it"? That post wasn't a justification. It was a rationale. There's a difference.

I understand. It is just very hard to even begin to create a rationale. It just makes no sense.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I understand. It is just very hard to even begin to create a rationale. It just makes no sense.

It makes plenty of sense. In your own words, you just can't accept it.

Re: your previous response to alkurtz. There are plenty of things we can glean from the actions the team takes. Do you really think AV is sitting there saying "oh wow, there are higher skill players available, but I'm going to keep playing Glass. I better have a good sound byte for why!" Or do you think it's more likely that the reasons we hear about from guys like Dave Maloney and Joe Micheletti are probably in line with the way AV actually thinks?

I think it's somewhat disrespectful to the coach to think that he's anything but genuine about the reasons he does things. (Not that it matters or that you should care if it disrespects him)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I get that they like Glass, his intangibles and all that. But he doesn't have to stay on the 4th line. Or cause a debate between the 12th, 13th, or 14th F. He can be involved in other ways. For example:

nUP8tfx.gif

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
We must be a good team if we are arguing about our 14th forward.

And the bottom line is: if Glass were really hurting the team, even the loyalty of AV couldn't save him. Loyalty goes just so far: AV is management, TG is a player. The second AV feels the team would be better served with another player, TG will be gone, no matter what their history. Might make for a difficult conversation but that's what coaches are partly paid to do. The time comes for all players who choose to play until they have to tear the uniform off. As it is, if we keep him as a 14th forward, he is not going to play all the often. If a roster crunch happens because of injury and we need to acquire a player to fill a long time regular role, TG will be gone. He is skating on "then ice," just hanging on to his NHL career. He might not make it through the year or "live: long enough to hoist the Cup.

But I always try to see the humanity in players who are just like us except for their otherworldly skills. Plenty of players better than TG have crashed and burned, never making it to the NHL, toiling in the minors, year after year. TG has fashioned an NHL career out of nothing. He has played in different cities, made a good deal of money (at least as compared to most non-athletes). Lived a life we all fantasize about. I have to give him credit. Every year when he comes to camp it is the same thing: he is never assured of a spot. One day the bell will toll for TG, maybe this year, maybe tomorrow or next week. He may be a terrible NHL player, but he has been an NHL player for quite a few years now. As much as I think we don't really need him, I still admire him.

Wolfy*

AV just confirmed what I said earlier about Diaz. They hope he'll clear waivers, and they'll have a good depth defenseman.

So that means, if he clears, Diaz will play in the minors for now. But he should be among the first for a call up.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
AV just confirmed what I said earlier about Diaz. They hope he'll clear waivers, and they'll have a good depth defenseman.

So that means, if he clears, Diaz will play in the minors for now. But he should be among the first for a call up.
Congrats to Raphael Diaz on being the New York Rangers' potential 8th defenseman. :clittle:

Hopefully that is the case.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
We can always rekindle the argument about Girardi....or Staal....or Klein....or Gomez...or Drury....or Redden....or...................(Sather)............

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
OMG don't you people ever tire of talking about Tanner? Its the same thing over and over move on already

Well, the people that incessantly complain about him cant seem to grasp that there is a human element involved here, and it does play a role.

My personal opinion is thats not enough to keep him on the team, but at least I can acknowledge I understand why he'd be kept. If you've been on a team before, maybe you understand. If you stare at charts all day, probably not.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Devante Smith-Pelley is on the block. Another good athlete, big body out of ANA that never carved out a role.

Glass for DSP would be a coup... He doesn't have a role in MTL.

Funny thing about ANA's system and Boudreau, if you looked at last Oct, everyone was lauding their farm and young players. They have great scouting, but for some reason they just can't seem to turn their farm into products.

Will Karlsson moved in an awful trade for Corsi King and wishful thought boy and Healthy Scratch Wisnieski.

DSP moved, Etem moved, Palmieri moved... and they got NHL pieces for each of them, while they don't seem to be able to crack the line up on the teams they were traded too.

No wonder Bill Murray always seems to be up for the GM of the Year award.

PIT is another team, they have a good piece in Plotnikov, but they are actually considering their 2nd round pick in 2015 Daniel Sprong (who I wanted with the Ranger pick); for a spot on the team.

Don't know if he was sent down, but he was at least in the conversation. They only have 11 NHL forwards with experience and 3 of them are 36 or over coming off of injuries.

Sidney likes Tanner Glass.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Right, he's not worthless. He's just not that good, either. That's why the deal he got was for barely over the minimum and an opportunity to compete for the last defense spot on the team.

I seriously doubt that at any point this season we will be lamenting the absence of Raphael ****ing Diaz. It's stupid Glass is on the team ahead of him, but let's not make this loss out to be more than it is.

Yeah, Diaz was brought in as insurance. Gorton said that McIlrath forced their hand. They brought in Diaz to be the 7D, probably not expecting Dylan to outplay him, but he did. Obviously they're going to keep the 23 year old former 1st round pick whom they've been developing for 4 years over the 29 yr old journeyman. Diaz is a good guy and a nice depth option but Dylan has more value to the organization and he outplayed him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We must be a good team if we are arguing about our 14th forward.

And the bottom line is: if Glass were really hurting the team, even the loyalty of AV couldn't save him. Loyalty goes just so far: AV is management, TG is a player. The second AV feels the team would be better served with another player, TG will be gone, no matter what their history. Might make for a difficult conversation but that's what coaches are partly paid to do. The time comes for all players who choose to play until they have to tear the uniform off. As it is, if we keep him as a 14th forward, he is not going to play all the often. If a roster crunch happens because of injury and we need to acquire a player to fill a long time regular role, TG will be gone. He is skating on "then ice," just hanging on to his NHL career. He might not make it through the year or "live: long enough to hoist the Cup.

But I always try to see the humanity in players who are just like us except for their otherworldly skills. Plenty of players better than TG have crashed and burned, never making it to the NHL, toiling in the minors, year after year. TG has fashioned an NHL career out of nothing. He has played in different cities, made a good deal of money (at least as compared to most non-athletes). Lived a life we all fantasize about. I have to give him credit. Every year when he comes to camp it is the same thing: he is never assured of a spot. One day the bell will toll for TG, maybe this year, maybe tomorrow or next week. He may be a terrible NHL player, but he has been an NHL player for quite a few years now. As much as I think we don't really need him, I still admire him.

He is hurting the team though. Look at how Moore plays with and without him. Look at how AV used the 4th line in previous years compared to how he has to baby them when Glass is on it.

I get the thinking that he's a good guy and there's a human element and all, but he undoubtedly hurts the team on the ice in terms of their ability to win hockey games.

Again, if they need a glue guy, that's fine, there's guys around who do that and aren't expensive. Find one that isn't the absolutely worst offensive skater in the league and who doesn't cost so much.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to some Swiss sources:

Diaz wouldn't report to Hartford and look for a new team in Europe (Switzerland, KHL, SHL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad