Waived: Breaking: Hearing Rangers have waived Diaz, Megna.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glass sucks at hockey and AV knows it, he was nearly in hysterics when Glass scored last season, the only other time I've seen him smile and laugh so much was when Fiddler did the Bieksa impression

He keeps him on the team for other reasons just like Bylsma did for the Penguins.

That's really what it boils down to. AV places value on those "intangible" things. Whether or not it makes sense or has a quantitative basis in reality is irrelevant, since it's not going to change.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Every successful and experienced coach likes to be surrounded by "their" guys: players who seem to follow them around from team to team. For better or for worse, its a fact of life in the NHL.

And face it, we all have friends and relationships like that because, after all, we are humans. We like a certain comfort level with our "bros," posse, entourage, etc.

In sports, coaches and managers, if they have say, always bring in coaches (baseball), assistant coaches (hockey), and coordinators (football) who they know and have a track record with. Again, a fact of life. Call it "the old boys network" if you will. Sometimes it breeds stagnation. Other times it contributes to success.

Now, Glass is not a coach but then again he isn't a top 6 forward or a top 4 D who is taking minutes away from other more skilled players.

He is a fourth line player (at best, more likely a 13th forward). He obviously adds qualities that AV likes and feels the team needs.

I am not defending Glass's play, which is barely NHL marginal (frankly, if he were gone, I'd have no problem with that). But, there is such a thing as intangibles important in the group dynamics of every workplace, be it a hockey team or a more traditional workspace. Intangibles are important. Group cohesiveness is essential for success (just look at the Washington Nationals if he want to see a disfunctional team). Anyone who derides group dynamics and unmeasureable intangibles doesn't understand working in and as a group.

Glass must have some qualities that AV feels are important either when he dresses (that physical aspect, for better or worse) or in the locker room. As I've said, how we do this year will not depend on the performance of Tanner Glass. He will see limited minutes. If the Rangers have a long term injury to the top 9 forwards, Glass will not fill in for them.

He is there because he brings something of value to the group dynamics of the team. A terrible NHL player, certainly. But important to the Rangers in a way that cannot be measured?...well AV certainly thinks so.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I believe AV would definitely like to play Diaz on the 2nd pp unit, but we just couldn't let go of our young hero who so bravely stood up for Hank.

Diaz would NEVER see PP time if he were on the roster. Yandle, Boyle, McD all need PP minutes and are better than Diaz, we're not going to waste any on Diaz because he had a couple nice one timers.

Here are the 2 PP units:
Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Brassard-Yandle

Nash-Hayes-Miller
Boyle-McDonagh

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's really what it boils down to. AV places value on those "intangible" things. Whether or not it makes sense or has a quantitative basis in reality is irrelevant, since it's not going to change.

Sort of like the little league coach who plays his kid in RF even though the kid s more concerned with picking his nose and chasing lightning bugs...awesome.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
too funny to see people defending glass being kept part of the roster. Bugger of with these intangible things. I can promise you that dressing room doesn't give a rats ****ing ass about him being a good guy. It is the most overrated b.s in sports and any athlete will honestly tell you its overrated *********. The rudy effect doesn't exist. Teammates don't give a **** if you cant contribute on the ice, this can also cause more problems because nobody wants to be stuck on his line.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This team could survive trading it's captain during a playoff run, but waiving Glass could upset chemistry. Got it.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Exactly, he's a 4th liner and plays 5 minutes a night so doesn't really have much of an impact, the 4th line is there to give the other guys a rest and provide some energy and wear down the players they're sent out against. It's a plus if they can score some goals and be effective but in the age of the salary cap it's not always possible to have an amazing 4th line who can do this. Glass is a hard working player who hits and fights and clearly brings intangibles that we don't know about but the coaches do.

I hate to trot out the "you've never played hockey" argument but anyone who has played competitive hockey knows how important it is to have good locker room guys who positively affect team spirit and maintains a friendly atmosphere within the team, and the affect that can have on the on-ice performance of the rest of the team.

I've done my time as a backup goalie on a competitive team and I made a point to be a good teammate and encourage the guys any way I could including the starting goalie rather than being that guy who just sits there and sulks because they aren't getting ice time, the coaches noticed this and commended me for it. Guys like Glass know this just like I did, and the positive intangible influence they have on the rest of the team team offsets the slight extra talent on the ice the sulking locker room cancer provides.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
too funny to see people defending glass being kept part of the roster. Bugger of with these intangible things. I can promise you that dressing room doesn't give a rats ****ing ass about him being a good guy. It is the most overrated b.s in sports and any athlete will honestly tell you its overrated *********. The rudy effect doesn't exist. Teammates don't give a **** if you cant contribute on the ice, this can also cause more problems because nobody wants to be stuck on his line.

Sorry but you are wrong. If there are unpleasant guys on the team in the locker room the star players get annoyed and demoralised and play worse.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Exactly, he's a 4th liner and plays 5 minutes a night so doesn't really have much of an impact, the 4th line is there to give the other guys a rest and provide some energy and wear down the players they're sent out against. It's a plus if they can score some goals and be effective but in the age of the salary cap it's not always possible to have an amazing 4th line who can do this. Glass is a hard working player who hits and fights and clearly brings intangibles that we don't know about but the coaches do.

I hate to trot out the "you've never played hockey" argument but anyone who has played competitive hockey knows how important it is to have good locker room guys who positively affect team spirit and maintains a friendly atmosphere within the team, and the affect that can have on the on-ice performance of the rest of the team.

I've done my time as a backup goalie on a competitive team and I made a point to be a good teammate and encourage the guys any way I could including the starting goalie rather than being that guy who just sits there and sulks because they aren't getting ice time, the coaches noticed this and commended me for it. Guys like Glass know this just like I did, and the positive intangible influence they have on the rest of the team team offsets the slight extra talent on the ice the sulking locker room cancer provides.

This is ******** man, I myself have also played competitive hockey. Played with multiple current nhlers and against most 92s born in Ontario in the nhl. This is complete and utter ********. Teammates know when a player doesn't belong, nobody wants to be stuck on the line with the plug. Sports have changed, the "rudy effect" doesn't really exist anymore. It is just a fantasy created by sport media to make the game seem like more than it really is to casual fans.

Additionally, the fourth line doesn't have much impact? Are you huffing glue? The fourth line is integral to a strong teams success. It is important to be able to throw our a fourth line that an chip in and be responsible. With glass on the fourth line this won't happen, he played incredibly sheltered minutes last year and was a constant liability. If you don't think the fourth line is a huge piece to the puzzle of success in todays nhl you need to start paying attention. our 2014 cup run ring a bell? Your line of thinking on this is also outdated much like the "rudy effect".

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Except we've seen firsthand the positive impact having an elite 4th line can bring. During our run to the finals, we got amazing play out of our 4th liners. They were good enough that they didn't need to be sheltered from top opposition. That leeway made it significantly easier to get our top guys matched up against weaker competition. Glass is not matchup proof. He cannot be trusted against 1st and 2nd line competition. That limits your ability to deploy your best players in advantageous situations. We have the personnel to assemble one of the best 4th lines in the league. Moore, Stoll, Stalberg, Fast, Lindberg. Pick any 3 and you've got a better line than one with Tanner Glass on it.

I just can't see how his intangibles are more valuable than that. We have had a very tight-knit team for years now. Do they really need friends more desperately than they need an elite 4th line?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I don't think anyone is "defending" or attempting to justify it. It's just an attempt at explaining Vigneault's likely rationale. I can't recall but a single poster who actually believes Glass should be on the roster.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Every successful and experienced coach likes to be surrounded by "their" guys: players who seem to follow them around from team to team. For better or for worse, its a fact of life in the NHL.

And face it, we all have friends and relationships like that because, after all, we are humans. We like a certain comfort level with our "bros," posse, entourage, etc.

In sports, coaches and managers, if they have say, always bring in coaches (baseball), assistant coaches (hockey), and coordinators (football) who they know and have a track record with. Again, a fact of life. Call it "the old boys network" if you will. Sometimes it breeds stagnation. Other times it contributes to success.

Now, Glass is not a coach but then again he isn't a top 6 forward or a top 4 D who is taking minutes away from other more skilled players.

He is a fourth line player (at best, more likely a 13th forward). He obviously adds qualities that AV likes and feels the team needs.

I am not defending Glass's play, which is barely NHL marginal (frankly, if he were gone, I'd have no problem with that). But, there is such a thing as intangibles important in the group dynamics of every workplace, be it a hockey team or a more traditional workspace. Intangibles are important. Group cohesiveness is essential for success (just look at the Washington Nationals if he want to see a disfunctional team). Anyone who derides group dynamics and unmeasureable intangibles doesn't understand working in and as a group.

Glass must have some qualities that AV feels are important either when he dresses (that physical aspect, for better or worse) or in the locker room. As I've said, how we do this year will not depend on the performance of Tanner Glass. He will see limited minutes. If the Rangers have a long term injury to the top 9 forwards, Glass will not fill in for them.

He is there because he brings something of value to the group dynamics of the team. A terrible NHL player, certainly. But important to the Rangers in a way that cannot be measured?...well AV certainly thinks so.

Well said. Wish you posted more. :/

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
I don't think anyone is "defending" or attempting to justify it. It's just an attempt at explaining Vigneault's likely rationale. I can't recall but a single poster who actually believes Glass should be on the roster.

I agree, most are shocked. Some actually trying to justify it though. A very small minority

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not so sure about that.

We may lose him, but it's certainly not because he sucked.

No it's because he's a journeyman defender who has decent offensive ability but not much else. There's a reason he's been on four team in four years.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Well said. Wish you posted more. :/

I believe we have an abundance of leadership and locker room guys. We are essentially paying for a cheerleader. Trading our captain in the midst of a playoff run didn't seem to hurt us much. Just feel that no matter how good of a dressing room guy he is doesn't justify crippling our fourth line.

Wolfy*

No it's because he's a journeyman defender who has decent offensive ability but not much else. There's a reason he's been on four team in four years.

But still the Rangers called him and wanted him to return, and he signed a 700k deal..

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I believe we have an abundance of leadership and locker room guys. We are essentially paying for a cheerleader. Trading our captain in the midst of a playoff run didn't seem to hurt us much. Just feel that no matter how good of a dressing room guy he is doesn't justify crippling our fourth line.

We traded our captain who had been marginalized for a player with equal leadership ability. It's hardly the same thing.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
We traded our captain who had been marginalized for a player with equal leadership ability. It's hardly the same thing.

you don't consider that to be a significant shake up. My point is I think they would be just fine without glass. They have got bigger and more physical with Etem, Stalberg, and the undertaker playing the odd game. The have also added experience in stalberg. The team has been there 2 deep runs the past two years the guys have plenty of chemistry and leadership. I Just can't find a single ounce of logic behind this decision to keep an expensive cheerleader.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Please point out those posts. No one is trying to justify it.

ok here.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC

Well, that's just it. I don't think the players on this team think negatively about Glass. In fact, I think just the opposite. Yes, it might be old style thinking, but I think they appreciate it when Glass goes after a dog like Zack Rinaldo, when he "has their proverbial backs." I bet there isn't a player on this team who feels that Glass is hurting this team...just the opposite.

A team is made up of many moving parts and each player contributes according to their gifts. In Glass's case it's certainly not offensive ability. From everything I can glean, the players on every team he has been on have not looked at him as some slug hurting them or the team. His contributions are not in terms of offensive production, possession, time, shots suppressed or generated. I bet teammates do give a **** about him, generally like him, and don't look at him as hurting the team.

Again, I am not a Glass fan. If he were gone, well that's OK. This is not a defense of him. It is an attempt to understand what makes the Rangers a team. Of all sports, hockey is the one where team is the most important, where players take seriously the "I want to go to war with this guy" mentality. The Ranger players seem to want Glass there with him. He is not the slug you make him out to be who players can't wait to get out of town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad