Waived: Breaking: Hearing Rangers have waived Diaz, Megna.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Well, the people that incessantly complain about him cant seem to grasp that there is a human element involved here, and it does play a role.

My personal opinion is thats not enough to keep him on the team, but at least I can acknowledge I understand why he'd be kept. If you've been on a team before, maybe you understand. If you stare at charts all day, probably not.

Stupid stats nerds and their inability to understand **** logic. Awful. What morons.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't have the numbers any more but I remember the Rangers Win% and possession numbers were better without Glass in the lineup. Of course the sample size wasn't big, 16 games.
With Glass: 41-19-6 (109 Pt Pace)
Without Glass: 12-3-1 (128 Pt Pace)

Obviously it's not statistically significant, but I can't imagine what the claim that he didn't hurt their W-L record would otherwise be based on. Strong teams couldn't be stronger teams if they improved obvious holes?

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008

Obviously it's not statistically significant, but I can't imagine what the claim that he didn't hurt their W-L record would otherwise be based on. Strong teams couldn't be stronger teams if they improved obvious holes?

Possible explanation... Glass likely sits out against teams without grit/size because he isn't needed. Ranger physical mediocrity cannot be exploited by such teams, and Rangers flourish.

I seriously doubt the Rangers would've had 128 points solely by virtue of replacing Glass with a different 12th forward in the lineup.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Possible explanation... Glass likely sits out against teams without grit/size because he isn't needed. Ranger physical mediocrity cannot be exploited by such teams, and Rangers flourish.

I seriously doubt the Rangers would've had 128 points solely by virtue of replacing Glass with a different 12th forward in the lineup.

Depends on the forward...Sidney Crosby would look pretty good on the fourth line.

:sarcasm:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Diaz would be wise to go to Hartford and wait for a trade or injury. The 8th D quite often gets a chance to impress. Just not immediately.
Anyhow, for his sake, Im glad there are leagues in Europe. If he were a baseball or football player he wouldnt have the options.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Diaz would be wise to go to Hartford and wait for a trade or injury. The 8th D quite often gets a chance to impress. Just not immediately.
Anyhow, for his sake, Im glad there are leagues in Europe. If he were a baseball or football player he wouldnt have the options.

The Nippon Pro League, Japan's top baseball league, is actually a legitimate option for "4A"-type baseball players. They pay very well for American imports. But otherwise, yeah, I agree with you.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Exactly. It's a silly argument. So because the Rangers Win the presidents trophy means they couldn't have been even better? And the fact is Wins and Losses aren't the only measures of how a team played. That's where the real improvement would be. How the team actually performed

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

Actual explanation: he was injured, and that stretch was one of the Rangers' best of the season

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Spurred the Rangers on to a forgettable loss.

Things that happen in the midst of a game don't just impact that given game. They impact the whole series.

Not defending Glass, but that was a good fight for us to win.

Knocking any player on the opposition to the locker room is always a benefit for our team.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I think one of Glass or McIlrath needs to play every night.

Even though the NHL is moving away from fighting.

You need to have one guy that is comfortable dropping the gloves

Otherwise teams can expose you

I think

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Well, the people that incessantly complain about him cant seem to grasp that there is a human element involved here, and it does play a role.

My personal opinion is thats not enough to keep him on the team, but at least I can acknowledge I understand why he'd be kept. If you've been on a team before, maybe you understand. If you stare at charts all day, probably not.

We had a guy like glass in my league. He sucked. All he did was drop gloves against other goons, and only win maybe 40% of the time and cause my line to go offsides 75% of the times we had a rush.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Interesting theory.

Here's some of the personnel the Rangers were up against in those 16 games sans Glass:

Shawn Thornton, Dan Carcillo, Chris Neil, Zack Sill, Steve Downie, Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Andrew Desjardins, Kyle Clifford, Patrick Maroon, Clayton Stoner, Nicolas Deslauriers, Patrick Kaleta, Cody McCormick, Derek Dorsett, Radko Gudas, Zac Rinaldo (x2), Wayne Simmonds (x2)

I think one of Glass or McIlrath needs to play every night.

Even though the NHL is moving away from fighting.

You need to have one guy that is comfortable dropping the gloves

Otherwise teams can expose you

I think
Can you cite any times the Rangers were exposed without Glass last season?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You must be a soft guy, never been in a fight.

Don't even try to unjustify physical players. Last example was this preseason, Hank was attacked. But it wont happen a lot, because with guys like Dylan and Tanner we'll return the favor.

They definitely protect our star players. Can you imagine a season without Hank? We would be toast.
Didn't McIlrath or Glass play in every pre-season game? If Hank was repeatedly attacked, what does that say about their presence?

blue2noise

Jul 4, 2006
www.gloryholeradio.com
I know I've been gone a while, but when did Rafael Diaz turn into Nick Lidstrom?

He's a marginal player at best and is soft in his own zone. We can't get pummeled again like we did vs Washington. Mac was the right choice on so many levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00