Brayden Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Im one of those who go back and forth on this kid but I would still keep him barring a ludicrous offer from some team. He's on pace for 47 points this year which is good 2nd line production. I'd still like to see him win more puck battles and faceoffs but maybe that will come in time. He's pretty horrendous at both.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Im one of those who go back and forth on this kid but I would still keep him barring a ludicrous offer from some team. He's on pace for 47 points this year which is good 2nd line production. I'd still like to see him win more puck battles and faceoffs but maybe that will come in time. He's pretty horrendous at both.

Good 2nd line production while getting 3rd line minutes. Only I think 5 players in the NHL are producing better then him while getting less then 16 min a game. Last year the max points from a player under 16 min was like 52 points or something (ask Appleyard for the exact number). If you expect Schenn to produce then he needs to be given better opportunities to do so. Otherwise your asking some outrageous stuff the numbers show.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Your right but JVR had shown flashes of dominance by the end of his 3rd year that I have not seen from Schenn. B. Schenn seems pretty average to me.

I thought Schenn's playoff series with the Pens was similar to JVRs series against the Sabres.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I've always been indifferent about B Schenn, but his low hockey IQ has been really showing these past couple games.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Brayden G Jake
Harts Vinny Simmer

And ****ing leave it. Vinny sadly has to play CEnter, and Harts wouldn't be on a top line on any team. Due to another huge **** up by Holmer with Vinny, Brayden is now done as a CEnter on this team as Vinny can not play wing.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
He's been the victim of a few substantially vicious hits this year and when you know the league isn't protecting you in any way shape or form, I'd assume that a player in his skates this season grows in the direction of tentativeness. He just came off of his worst stretch of production in a Flyers uniform, putting up 1 in 10. Braydens's our most consistent producer outside of Giroux and he does it with **** for icetime. Doesnt get much for credit about it either until the rest of the offence dries up and he's still putting up a cpl points every few-four games like clockwork.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Nah. You actually saw frequent glimpses of what JVR could do. Schenn hasn't done anything exciting all season.

Then you weren't watching. Off the top of my head Schenn and Mason won us the last game against the Penguins. Outside of the Bruins series JVR didn't have very many games where he took over either just some great shifts. Keep in mind Schenn and JVR have virtually identical ppg totals, at the same age while getting similar minutes (under 16 without top unit pp time). This is a very similar situation, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Trading JVR for a defenseman was never the wrong idea. Trading him for Luke Schenn alone was the problem.

Sure but the Flyers also need another top winger to play with G.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Then you weren't watching. Off the top of my head Schenn and Mason won us the last game against the Penguins. Outside of the Bruins series JVR didn't have very many games where he took over either just some great shifts. Keep in mind Schenn and JVR have virtually identical ppg totals, at the same age while getting similar minutes (under 16 without top unit pp time). This is a very similar situation, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Sure but the Flyers also need another top winger to play with G.

They need a fridge top pair defenseman a hell of a lot more than a top line LW.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Trading JVR for a defenseman was never the wrong idea. Trading him for Luke Schenn alone was the problem.

Bigger problem was trading JVR low (coming off injuries etc) although it could be said Luke was traded low but now it doesn't look like that was the case afterall.

I suspect we'll trade B Schenn low as well and get fleeced....then we'll go after a replacement and shed some additional draft picks/assets to acquire said replacement...:shakehead

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
JVR all over again.

I don't think they're comparable. I think people forget that before his endless injury problems during the 11-12 season JVR was playing at close to a PPG rate for the first 20 odd games. He also had flashes of dominance, the 2010-2011 playoffs being the best example, that you'd expect from the 2nd overall pick. Like someone already said, moving for a defenseman wasn't the problem, the problem was that defenseman was Luke Schenn.

Something that bothers me about B.Schenn is I can't quite figure out what he's really good at. He's a subpar faceoff guy, he hovers between average and below average defensively, he attempts a lot of low percentage plays (particularly when entering the offensive zone), and he's just "okay" at distributing the puck. He just looks like a middle of the road 2C to me, but with an incredibly low hockey I.Q.. I expected more from Schenn three seasons in, being that he was touted as the "best player not in the NHL" and was essentially the centerpiece of the Richards/Carter trades.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Brayden G Jake
Harts Vinny Simmer

And ****ing leave it. Vinny sadly has to play CEnter, and Harts wouldn't be on a top line on any team. Due to another huge **** up by Holmer with Vinny, Brayden is now done as a CEnter on this team as Vinny can not play wing.

I agree, Vinny's skills would probably play up if he moved back to center. I've always wanted the SchennB-Giroux-Voracek top line.

I'd like to see the forward lines like this:

SchennB-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Vinny-Simmonds
Hartnell-Couturier-Read
Downie-Hall-xxxx

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No reason to trade Schenn. The kid is 22 and he's still an RFA. He's not getting a huge raise. He's going to end the season somewhere between 40-50 points in all likelihood barring any injury. I'm not sure why anyone on this board, with their obsession with youth and patience, would have any desire to trade a 22 year old that is 5th on the team in points.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I don't think they're comparable. I think people forget that before his endless injury problems during the 11-12 season JVR was playing at close to a PPG rate for the first 20 odd games. He also had flashes of dominance, the 2010-2011 playoffs being the best example, that you'd expect from the 2nd overall pick. Like someone already said, moving for a defenseman wasn't the problem, the problem was that defenseman was Luke Schenn.

Something that bothers me about B.Schenn is I can't quite figure out what he's really good at. He's a subpar faceoff guy, he hovers between average and below average defensively, he attempts a lot of low percentage plays (particularly when entering the offensive zone), and he's just "okay" at distributing the puck. He just looks like a middle of the road 2C to me, but with an incredibly low hockey I.Q.. I expected more from Schenn three seasons in, being that he was touted as the "best player not in the NHL" and was essentially the centerpiece of the Richards/Carter trades.

This is exactly where I stand with Brayden. His game really doesn't stand out to me. He doesn't excel at one aspect of the game. He was really overhyped as a young player which ultimately skewed what was expected of him at the NHL level.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I hated that "best player not in the NHL" title. It was a fancy way of saying "Not good enough for the NHL." :laugh:

I always hated it too. Specifically when people bring this up as a reason for wanting to trade him or why he's not living up to expectations. It's like being pissed at G because Lavi called him the best player in the world even though we all know he's not. It was a stupid label to beginning with and anybody with a brain knew it wasn't true, a 19 years old better then the stars of the KHL? Come on.

Last edited:

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
I agree, Vinny's skills would probably play up if he moved back to center. I've always wanted the SchennB-Giroux-Voracek top line.

I'd like to see the forward lines like this:

SchennB-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Vinny-Simmonds
Hartnell-Couturier-Read
Downie-Hall-xxxx

Already tried Schenn with Giroux and it didn't work. Couts is on pace for just over 40 points this season on the third line. I'd like to see him, Read and Simmer together. Giroux and Voracek need a skilled scoring winger, not necessarily a winger that falls into a split head first into the boards.....Hartnell....

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
jvr is alot better and has more skill than brayden is something you guys are forgetting jvr had the ability to completely dominate a game (though he didn't do it as often or as much as we would hope) but brayden DOES NOT have that ability, i think we need to package the schenn brothers and possibly a first to acquire a GREAT pmd who can eat tough minutes we can bring coots up to second line give him more ice time to further help his offense, drop lecalvier to third line (since we can't trade him unless we put him in the schenn's package in a trade) and bring laughton up to play our 4th line, and i really think that'd make our team much better now and in the future

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad