Brayden Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Maybe not great scoring upside but many on here think he's gonna be a 2C and a 50pt player and therefore makes Schenn expendable. I completely understand why people say he's over rated on here. With that said I think he makes a solid 3rd liner that can contribute 30-35pts while providing defense and grit . There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I think it all really depends on player development and the cap. I do think if all goes roughly to plan that it will likely mean either Schenn or Laughton will have to move to the wing... or be moved.

The situation the Flyers are in with Forwards in my mind is a good one... a lot of guys who are top 9 calibre and young enough that in 5-7 years time they should still be good NHL players.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Laughton

all 25 or under, 5/6 proven in the NHL at top 9 level, 1 arguably one of the best centres on earth, 1 who is a proven 1st line winger, 2 who are producing at ~50 point pace right now and one who is already elite defensively... and Laughton who should at the very least be a bottom 6 guy with good D.

Then guys like Read and Raffl who are 25 and 27 and very versatile. (yeh, Raffl may not be more than a third liner, but hey.)

xxxxxx-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-xxxx
Laughton-Couturier-xxxx

Should be 8 of a top 12 for a long time if everything goes ok.

The one big problem (if you can call it that) though is if Couturier keeps developing and turns into a 50-65 point 2C (which I think he will) Schenn will likely have to move to the wing full time.

It is always good for guys to develop to their peak potential, but it may be perfect if Laughton turns into a ~30-40 point 3C... basically what Couturier is now! It would keep his caphit down and fill a need if Couts moves up to 2C and becomes a 50+ guys (which he pretty much half way too this year with the minutes and his production creeping up.)

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-xxxxx
xxxxxxx-Laughton-xxxxxx

All absurd conjecture at this point, as we all know projecting future teams is nigh on impossible in a league with the nature of the NHL... but I do feel, as I said at the start of the year, that this forward group is very good for its age and has a lot of potential... the only glaring gap going forward is 1LW... in a perfect world Schenn fits that and becomes a 30-30/35-60/65 winger. Which I do not think is too much to ask or too unrealistic, but if he cannot, yeh, I imagine him or Laughton will most likely end up the odd man out. But who knows!

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I missed discussion, if there was any, about the Orlov hit on Schenn.
****in ridiculous, is the guy chopped liver or what... How can that be allowed especially after the last one from the same team on our same guy? Almost as dangerous as hits get, Brayden needs to stay on the ice after that ****

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I missed discussion, if there was any, about the Orlov hit on Schenn.
****in ridiculous, is the guy chopped liver or what... How can that be allowed especially after the last one from the same team on our same guy? Almost as dangerous as hits get, Brayden needs to stay on the ice after that ****

Schenner set him up. No question. He nailed him earlier that shift and then saw him coming and gave him the opportunity and he took it.

What's the deal with schenn not getting a deal yet? I'm surprised there has been no talk of it or no talk about it not happening yet

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Schenner set him up. No question. He nailed him earlier that shift and then saw him coming and gave him the opportunity and he took it.

What's the deal with schenn not getting a deal yet? I'm surprised there has been no talk of it or no talk about it not happening yet

I think The Flyers are hoping it motivates him to play better. Schenn still has some inconsistencies in his game. Depending what he does in the Play-Offs, Schenn also could be traded this summer.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Schenn has been good lately. He's actively driving the play instead of chasing it, or hoping others set him up. That was my biggest grief with him, so I've got nothing to gripe about.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Schenn has no leverage to demand a deal now.

Flyers have no reason to give him one till they see what the salary cap will be for 14-15 and how the rest of the team looks.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Why would they trade Schenn? He's a cost controlled productive second line center. He alone isn't going to get us that number one defenseman, and I'd rather not gut the strength of team to fill one spot on the ice.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really doubt they trade Schenn at all. There's really no reason to. You're not going to get a #1D back unless you stupidly overpay and there's no point in trading him for unknowns when we already have a bunch of high potential defensive prospects in the system.

I know you're joking about the offersheet, but if they even tried that I seriously doubt Schenn would even consider it. He doesn't seem like the type of person who would sign one of those, especially when his brother is on his current team.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Schenn is getting better slowly each game. I just wish his hockey iq was a bit higher out there at times, and one thing is for sure is that the Schenn's both always give it their all and never stop out there. You shouldn't have to break the bank in re-signing him just yet because he is a 2nd to 3rd line player at this point in his career.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Why would they trade Schenn? He's a cost controlled productive second line center. He alone isn't going to get us that number one defenseman, and I'd rather not gut the strength of team to fill one spot on the ice.

We desperately need something resembling a top pair defenseman and we already have good depth at Center. Not to mention, Laughton will be here next year and could somewhat fill his role. I actually think trading him makes some sense, although it would hurt.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
We desperately need something resembling a top pair defenseman and we already have good depth at Center. Not to mention, Laughton will be here next year and could somewhat fill his role. I actually think trading him makes some sense, although it would hurt.

Laughton arriving doesn't mean Schenn is expendable. We have no idea what Laughton's production levels are going to be in the NHL. Plus, to get a number one defenseman, it's going to cost them a lot more than just Schenn. Think something along the lines of Schenn plus Voracek. It's not worth gutting the only strength of the team (the forward group) just to fill one spot on the roster.

A lot of people seem to think getting that number one is going to make this an upper echelon defensive group. It's not. It'll just mean they'll have a good first pair and average everything else. It takes a full six man unit to make a good/great defense. The best idea is to keep our strengths intact and continue to build the defense through the draft like they've been doing. I'd rather have three very good pairs and our offense than a great first pair and mediocre everything else.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Laughton arriving doesn't mean Schenn is expendable. We have no idea what Laughton's production levels are going to be in the NHL. Plus, to get a number one defenseman, it's going to cost them a lot more than just Schenn. Think something along the lines of Schenn plus Voracek. It's not worth gutting the only strength of the team (the forward group) just to fill one spot on the roster.

A lot of people seem to think getting that number one is going to make this an upper echelon defensive group. It's not. It'll just mean they'll have a good first pair and average everything else. It takes a full six man unit to make a good/great defense. The best idea is to keep our strengths intact and continue to build the defense through the draft like they've been doing. I'd rather have three very good pairs and our offense than a great first pair and mediocre everything else.

I disagree. It will not cost you both Schenns and Jake for something resembling a top pair guy. That is overkill. I'm not talking about top of the heap defenseman like McDonagh, etc. A Bogosian or Myers type might cost more than just Brayden, but not a ton. It wouldn't be gutting anything.

We can't just sit on our hands waiting for Morin and Hagg to be legit top 4 guys. That is seriously going to take years. Trading Brayden for a fridge top pair with upside should be seriously considered. A lot of people are in for a rude awakening when Kimmo leaves.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Myers minus Schenn doesn't make this team better. The Flyers need 2 or 3 defenseman before they're getting better. The only way to achieve that is through prospect development. Until then, play to your strengths and keep developing Morin, Hagg, Ghost, Alt, etc. Nobody said they were going to be contenders quickly.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Myers minus Schenn doesn't make this team better. The Flyers need 2 or 3 defenseman before they're getting better. The only way to achieve that is through prospect development. Until then, play to your strengths and keep developing Morin, Hagg, Ghost, Alt, etc. Nobody said they were going to be contenders quickly.

I think MacDonald would be one of those 2 or 3 defenseman. Gus possibly another. They arent first pairing guys, but chances are Morin, Hagg or Ghost wont be either.

jeff leonard

Nov 6, 2013
australia
games like tonight make him seem pretty expendable, and i think he disappoints a lot of people

but i really like him. dunno why. maybe its cuz while he'll never be our best forward, he'll always be our best Schenn so getting rid of him feels like a waste

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
games like tonight make him seem pretty expendable, and i think he disappoints a lot of people

but i really like him. dunno why. maybe its cuz while he'll never be our best forward, he'll always be our best Schenn so getting rid of him feels like a waste

Honestly, Couturier and Read are the only forwards playing well tonight IMO

WACCAttack

Mar 5, 2013

I feel the same way. It's sort of irrational, but he's one of my favorites on the team. I wonder how he'd do without Vinny on his wing, who doesn't know how to play on wing. Either way, I hope they don't trade him.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

I just don't see what we'd lose if we traded him. He's completely anonymous almost every night.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not totally opposed to trading BSchenn since they would get Vinny off the wing and back to 2C where he is best suited. But it would have to be for a #2 defenseman who can replace Kimmo's minutes. If BSchenn can't get you that right now then keep him around till he can. His point production/trade value is only going to get better. The guy is only 22 and about to play in his first full 80 game season.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm not totally opposed to trading BSchenn since they would get Vinny off the wing and back to 2C where he is best suited. But it would have to be for a #2 defenseman who can replace Kimmo's minutes. If BSchenn can't get you that right now then keep him around till he can. His point production/trade value is only going to get better. The guy is only 22 and about to play in his first full 80 game season.

Your under the assumption that B. Schenn stock will go up. I am not so sure depending on his next contract. B Schenn issue IMO is not his skill set but his lack of effort in regards to moving his feet on a consistent basis. Will that change with age? It's still a problem in a contract year which isn't a good sign. Some on here think his points will go up with more minutes but what minutes are available? He already gets the majority of his minutes in the offense zone against weak competition. I doubt he will be taking any defensive minutes from couturier and even if he did, his isn't likely to produce. So more offense minutes will have to come from Giroux (not likely) or from 1st power play unit, which isn't likely either. You could move him to Giroux wing but that has failed twice.

I hope I am wrong and Schenn has a break out year next year but I don't see it. Right now you could convince a team to buy on potential. After next year that will be over IMO.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Your under the assumption that B. Schenn stock will go up. I am not so sure depending on his next contract. B Schenn issue IMO is not his skill set but his lack of effort in regards to moving his feet on a consistent basis. Will that change with age? It's still a problem in a contract year which isn't a good sign. Some on here think his points will go up with more minutes but what minutes are available? He already gets the majority of his minutes in the offense zone against weak competition. I doubt he will be taking any defensive minutes from couturier and even if he did, his isn't likely to produce. So more offense minutes will have to come from Giroux (not likely) or from 1st power play unit, which isn't likely either. You could move him to Giroux wing but that has failed twice.

I hope I am wrong and Schenn has a break out year next year but I don't see it. Right now you could convince a team to buy on potential. After next year that will be over IMO.

Yeah, seven games over two years.

This same stuff was said about JVR a few years back. Look how that turned out.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah, seven games over two years.

This same stuff was said about JVR a few years back. Look how that turned out.

Your right but JVR had shown flashes of dominance by the end of his 3rd year that I have not seen from Schenn. B. Schenn seems pretty average to me.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
i would like to see this line

Schenn-Laughton-Simmonds

and i don't think Schenn will get more than 17min regularly with the Flyers because Giroux and Coots are locks for +20min(PP+PK) and then you have the 4th line who plays for 4-6min that leaves 14-16min for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad