Brayden Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Schenn is definitely better at center...just more involved. Had some nice defensive plays as well against Les Hobbitantes...

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Schenn is definitely better at center...just more involved. Had some nice defensive plays as well against Les Hobbitantes...

Wish he could do that at Wing. With Laughton coming to the team next year a Centre might get traded.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
No didnt get to watch the game last night. But honestly you might be the only person to think he creates his own chances.... he gets in the right spot at the right time. It's not a shot at Schenn either... it's just not his type of game.

Dont know. Maybe I am wrong and am the only one that see's this. To say he is a playmaker or goalscorer, I think, is wrong.

I think he creates plenty. He's an under rated passer on here. When his line was struggling (before Hartnell and Simmer picked it up) he was setting people up left and right but no one could bury anything. Schenn is a jack of all master of none. He does have a nack for being in the right spot at the right time.

As long as he gets points with decent line mates, no all-stars or anything (well Hartnell I guess :laugh:) and continues to produce at 50 +/- a few pace he's a second liner. He's most definitely not a 3rd liner any way you look at it which was my main point.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think he creates plenty. He's an under rated passer on here. When his line was struggling (before Hartnell and Simmer picked it up) he was setting people up left and right but no one could bury anything. Schenn is a jack of all master of none. He doesn't have a nack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Last night Schenn had one of the better games I saw him have all year. Especially without the puck. He was everywhere on defense and made some beauty plays to stop some scoring chances.

I don't know where this "he deosn't create for himself" comes from, but he generates a fair share of chances for himself and also for teammates. Also being in the right spot at the right time is good hockey sense, sort of like how Couts crashed the net for the first goal last night. It shows you he knows where to go on the ice to get his goals, and he also is a physical player. I bet the Flyers don't trade him unless a stud dman is coming back, which right now doesn't look plausible. Of course players are lucky, but when is it not luck and become a knack for knowing where the play is going?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If him and Lecavalier both struggle to create on the wing at some point somebody is going to have to be moved, especially with Laughton turning pro next season.

WACCAttack

Mar 5, 2013
I never played hockey growing up, so I don't really understand the finer technical points when watching games. That said, as a relatively uninformed viewer he's definitely been more noticeable the last few games and looked good. :dunno:

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I never played hockey growing up, so I don't really understand the finer technical points when watching games. That said, as a relatively uninformed viewer he's definitely been more noticeable the last few games and looked good. :dunno:

Very perceptive. Brayden Schenn has been playing very well recently: strong on the puck, nice vision, good shots, hitting. Luke has been very solid lately too.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Last night Schenn had one of the better games I saw him have all year. Especially without the puck. He was everywhere on defense and made some beauty plays to stop some scoring chances.

I don't know where this "he deosn't create for himself" comes from, but he generates a fair share of chances for himself and also for teammates. Also being in the right spot at the right time is good hockey sense, sort of like how Couts crashed the net for the first goal last night. It shows you he knows where to go on the ice to get his goals, and he also is a physical player. I bet the Flyers don't trade him unless a stud dman is coming back, which right now doesn't look plausible. Of course players are lucky, but when is it not luck and become a knack for knowing where the play is going?

Agree 100%. When Crosby knocks in an empty net rebound, it's hockey sense. For Couts and Schenn, it's luck. Schenn's goal vs NJ was a beauty of puck control - off his foot and put it in.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Say what you will about B Schenn but he has been our purest form of consistency this season. His 28 over 44 haven't come in any streaks, only going pointless more than a game 3 times so far on the year (4 game ptless, two-2 game ptless). He's been a big provider for this team since Oct. 2. Some key fights this year too I think he means a lot to the locker room here. One thing I love about the Schenns is that theyre happy to put it all on the ice.

Last edited:

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Schenn is starting to show me something, which makes me satisfied with his development. Although, I believe he is the odd man out if we make a trade; with Laughton being NHL ready next season.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
New contract talks heating up? :sarcasm:

Brayden has been playing great lately. Give the kid some time before adding him to your must trade list!

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
He had a great playoff for us in his first year here and including that playoff, only 8 times has he gone more than a game without a point in his past 102 games here (of only 165 career NHL games played incl. playoffs). You know what you can expect from the kid, and that continues to get better.

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Schenn is a point-per-game player when he plays center for significant stretches:

Despite not meeting some of the lofty expectations set by fans, Brayden Schenn’s development as a Flyer has been encouraging. His exploits at center are impressive, as detailed above, and he’s seen consistent growth in his game. His points-per-game has increased each year, from .33 in 2011-12 to .64 in 2013-14. His even strength points per 60 minutes is second on the team among regular players, behind Simmonds. His ESP/60 has also increased every year he’s been in Philadelphia, from 1.22 to 1.95 this season.

This year, Schenn has averaged 15:43 in combined even strength and power play time, and produced 28 points. Mike Richards has averaged 15:46, and has 28 points.

http://thehockeywriters.com/video-brayden-schenn-blossoming-center/

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
He's a sniper in the making with a mean attitude but like his brother, the guy just can't fight.

Ergo, no Flyers material :sarcasm:.

They're decent scrappers considering it's not part of their role. Most important part being that theyre more than willing to make a guy answer the bell for wrongdoing their teammates, which is far more important to begin with than whether they win the fight or not.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm glad he's at what should be his natural position and staying there finally and I imagine that helps him out.

Guy got more linemate switches and position switches then anyone I can remember.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
They're decent scrappers considering it's not part of their role. Most important part being that theyre more than willing to make a guy answer the bell for wrongdoing their teammates, which is far more important to begin with than whether they win the fight or not.

Well, there's a sarcasm smiley for a reason.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
With the way he's been playing lately I think it would be a really bad move to send him to the wing, he's just simply better at center. So the problem is that leaves no room for Vinny at center or RW in the top 6 and he's been pretty bad lately with Couturier and Downie. So I wonder what they're going to do when Read is back considering Vinny is in his spot and Read is certainly better there.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Schenn is the ultimate team player. Against the Canadiens he made a pass to Meszaros to get a secondary assist, and then went off for a change to let someone else get a +1, himself finishing off with a -1.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Wish he could do that at Wing. With Laughton coming to the team next year a Centre might get traded.

I doubt Laughton cracks the NHL. TBH he's the most overrated prospect in our pool. He's AHL bound. What's the rush?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I disagree about Laughton, I for one don't think the kid is over rated. He won't wow you with skill or offense(In juniors he has made a few beauty offensive plays though) but when he was drafted he looked great in those 5 games he played before going down. Laughton has a game that can translate to wing and play with Couts on the third line say. He is a good defensive minded player as well. He will be eased into a role like the Flyers do with almost all their forwards. He isn't over rated at all, does he project to be a #1 center?? No, but nobody knows really where his career path takes him. Also, he gives his heart and soul every single shift and will never leave anything in his tank, that is why I love the kid. You can never have to many players around like that.

He starts the team on the 4th line or Couts 3rd line wing next year is my guess, but IMO he is not over rated and will be a nice young addition to the team.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Laughton has all the skill sets to become a great third line center in the NHL. If he turns into that I'm completely happy and satisfied with how he turned out.

I don't think any of us see him as having any great scoring upside.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Laughton has all the skill sets to become a great third line center in the NHL. If he turns into that I'm completely happy and satisfied with how he turned out.

I don't think any of us see him as having any great scoring upside.

Maybe not great scoring upside but many on here think he's gonna be a 2C and a 50pt player and therefore makes Schenn expendable. I completely understand why people say he's over rated on here. With that said I think he makes a solid 3rd liner that can contribute 30-35pts while providing defense and grit . There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad