Brayden Schenn trade

DogwoodFLY

Jul 13, 2009
Assets under Flyers control via Mike Richards...

Jori Lehtera
Morgan Frost
18' 1st Round pick
Wayne Simmonds

Asset under Flyers control via Jeff Carter...

Jakub Voracek
Sean Couturier

I think there are a couple more picks, but they may not be directly related to the trade (other assets used to aquire)

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

Jakub Voracek
Sean Couturier

I think there are a couple more picks, but they may not be directly related to the trade (other assets used to aquire)

Brendan Warren and a 2018 5th round pick for Nick Cousins who came from the Carter trade (2011 3rd round pick) is missing.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Funny thing to end the Richards tree: Flyers used the 2nd pick also acquired in the initial deal and flipped it to Dallas with a 3rd in 2012 for Grossman. That 3rd became Guentzel!

edit: and Grossman along with the huge salary cap dump in retired Pronger later became Sam Gagner

Last edited:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Typical HF.

Blues start the season on fire, Schenn in paricular. Sentiment is the Flyers got absolutely hosed. Two draft picks for a first time center?!?!? AND THE TOOK LEHTERA?!?!

Now the Blues are on the skids and the Flyers are in first place in their division. Flyers don't miss Schenn at all. And those two picks are going to be amazing value going forward. Lehtera is horrific (so slow) but this isn't a team that looks at itself as a serious contender so if we got a first instead of a 2nd to carry Lehtera for a couple years that seems like a good move to me.

As things are now you have to think the blues make that trade in a win now mindset. That's not panning out. The flyers make that trade in a future value mindset... and things are materializing faster than expected. I'm not going to say the Blues lose the trade, but the Flyers clearly win.

So you say "typical HF" because people came in here during a time the Blues were winning to gloat about the trade but now that the Blues are losing and the Flyers are winning you come in to do the same thing?

Typical HF, indeed.

Reactions: AnishLoomba

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Typical HF.

Blues start the season on fire, Schenn in paricular. Sentiment is the Flyers got absolutely hosed. Two draft picks for a first time center?!?!? AND THE TOOK LEHTERA?!?!

Now the Blues are on the skids and the Flyers are in first place in their division. Flyers don't miss Schenn at all. And those two picks are going to be amazing value going forward. Lehtera is horrific (so slow) but this isn't a team that looks at itself as a serious contender so if we got a first instead of a 2nd to carry Lehtera for a couple years that seems like a good move to me.

As things are now you have to think the blues make that trade in a win now mindset. That's not panning out. The flyers make that trade in a future value mindset... and things are materializing faster than expected. I'm not going to say the Blues lose the trade, but the Flyers clearly win.

The Blues made the trade because they had a need at C and RW and Schenn would help at one of those 2 positions. Fortunately he was a great fit at center for a team that desperately needed it and thus it was a big win for a Blues team that drafts very well outside the 1st rd. These 2 teams were a great fit for this type of deal. For a team like the Blues who had a need right now for Schenn and have several strong forward prospects in addition to that on the verge of NHL duty it was pretty much impossible for them to "lose" this trade.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007

Jori Lehtera
Morgan Frost
18' 1st Round pick
Wayne Simmonds

Jakub Voracek
Sean Couturier

That 2018 1st isn't under Flyers control yet. Of course it most likely will be but there's still a possibility that you'll be waiting until 2019 to make that pick.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Schenn has 27 points in his last 41 games. I'm sure people will jump all over this but I'd also like to point out he's tied for the lead in points on the Blues over that time span as well. Obviously he was going to regress from his torrid pace to begin the season, but he is still leading the team in points despite cooling off. The Blues as a whole have been struggling since December, but Schenn has still been one of the main offensive contributors on the team.

Reactions: Bluesman91

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
That 2018 1st isn't under Flyers control yet. Of course it most likely will be but there's still a possibility that you'll be waiting until 2019 to make that pick.
Yes that 2108 1st could turn into more: 2019 unprotected 1st and a 3rd.

Blues not getting in looks like a 12th-15th pick while Blues getting in and losing first round looks like 16-17th.

Of course they could win the cup and pick 31st. Or tank all the way to 10th. I'll take my chances on both.

Not sure how there is no more love between 2 fan bases who sound perfectly happy with the trade.

There was friendly talk as early as June about Schenn streakiness and tendancy to disappear at key moments. At that point nobody made a fuss out of it. Then came the hot streak: some Blues fans claimed deal of the century. Then came the cold streak: Told you so posts from Philly landed.

As of now the happiest fan base has got to be Flyers. Most (or a lot?) Blues fans are calling for the tank while a few points from making it.

My guess is that if Blues were winning despite Schenn being colder, things would be smoother.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Yes that 2108 1st could turn into more: 2019 unprotected 1st and a 3rd.

Blues not getting in looks like a 12th-15th pick while Blues getting in and losing first round looks like 16-17th.

Of course they could win the cup and pick 31st. Or tank all the way to 10th. I'll take my chances on both.

Not sure how there is no more love between 2 fan bases who sound perfectly happy with the trade.

There was friendly talk as early as June about Schenn streakiness and tendancy to disappear at key moments. At that point nobody made a fuss out of it. Then came the hot streak: some Blues fans claimed deal of the century. Then came the cold streak: Told you so posts from Philly landed.

As of now the happiest fan base has got to be Flyers. Most (or a lot?) Blues fans are calling for the tank while a few points from making it.

My guess is that if Blues were winning despite Schenn being colder, things would be smoother.

Obviously given the Blues season many of us fans would prefer to see them fall as far as possible to potentially retain the 2018 1st. Even if the Flyers get the 2018 1st(strong likelihood) the side benefit(and of far more importance imo from a Blues perspective) may be Armstrong strongly considering a coaching change of some kind which imo is a necessity.

I personally don't think Yeo is a very good coach and it's really hard to ignore his teams track record of long periods of abyssal play coupled with a horrendous PP that makes Baby Jesus cry.

Highly unlikely the Blues would do anything other than lose in the 1st rd anyway if they made the PO's given the issues with the team this year so while I can't speak for other Blues fans, I personally have a rooting interest in seeing my team flounder for the remainder of this season. If the Blues were to go on a run and make the PO's it will delay Yeo being fired until sometime next year(or even later...)when the very same issues will still be going on despite much better depth.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Yeah, and Bill Clement was even stretching that one just a wee bit. :D

926056478_slide.jpg

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No word of a lie, a certain
Flyers commentator said if games were only played along the boards, Lehtera would be an All Star!

And before anyone freaks out, every Flyers fan disagrees of course.

lehtera basically just cant skate at all and it kills even the good parts of his game

he is good on the boards stick wise but his balance is garbage so a weird push and hes on the ground. basically hes a smart player but he skates like an echl 4th liner

Reactions: Juicy Pop

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
lehtera basically just cant skate at all and it kills even the good parts of his game

he is good on the boards stick wise but his balance is garbage so a weird push and hes on the ground. basically hes a smart player but he skates like an echl 4th liner
When you see Lehtera, just think he will soon turn into Morgan Frost and this year's pick (around 15th). It helps.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Lehtera is the absolute worst hockey player I've seen wear a Flyers Jersey in a long time (not counting goons like Rinaldo). He honestly looks outmatched in every aspect of the game every time he steps on the ice. He rarely ever makes a good decision and because he's so slow he needs to make quicker decisions that he did in the past. He flubs shots and is off the mark on passes regularly and for guy with size, he's incredibly weak on the puck. He literally has no good qualities as a player at this point in his career. He has 1 goal on the season and this is it. He fans on the shot which hits a defenseman's stick and handcuffs Lundqvist.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
this best part about this trade for the Flyers is that, by trading Schenn, it opened up an increased role for Couturier and Couturier finally was able to reach his potential.

2 1st round picks AND a better spot in the lineup opens up so Sean Couturier can become a 30 g and a near ppg guy?

Flyers do that trade 10/10 times.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
As true now as it was then:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/brayden-schenn-trade.2413941/#post-138172909

Now that Frost is looking great, and the return for Philly is looking better, the pendulum of "win/lose" is swinging back in their direction. Losing the 2017 1st was no biggie for the Blues since we got another one back in the Reaves trade. Losing the 2018 1st is painful, especially considering the team's play lately, but still worth it from a Blues perspective to dump Lehtera and gain Schenn.

Hopefully the Blues 2018 1st ends up 31st OA and the flyers draft a franchise changing stud...super likely, right? :laugh:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Jori Lehtera
Morgan Frost
18' 1st Round pick
Wayne Simmonds

Jakub Voracek
Sean Couturier

Stanley Cups under Carter and Richards’ control:

LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad