Rumor: Brayden Schenn Asking Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendelC

Feb 20, 2012
Schenn has considerably outplayed Kadri for two consecutive years. If you want to use figures from 2011 to tilt your argument then feel free, but it holds no water.

Considerably? Please explain. Production-wise they're very similar, and possession-wise Kadri is the superior player.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Considerably? Please explain. Production-wise they're very similar, and possession-wise Kadri is the superior player.

How are they similar in production? Schenn outscored him by 14 points this year and 8 points last year

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
why is philly lowballing... I would give schenn 5+ in a heartbeat. Most people here just see his 59 points but the guy is finally developping and he's dangerous when he enters the offensive zone. Hes skilled and finally showing his potential. He will hit 55-65 points consistantly as the flyers become a more rounded team with their young D.

Maybe they sign a 1 year deal so hes still an rfa and its at 4m but longterm he should get payed

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
why is philly lowballing... I would give schenn 5+ in a heartbeat. Most people here just see his 59 points but the guy is finally developping and he's dangerous when he enters the offensive zone. Hes skilled and finally showing his potential. He will hit 55-65 points consistantly as the flyers become a more rounded team with their young D.

Maybe they sign a 1 year deal so hes still an rfa and its at 4m but longterm he should get payed

People dont understand how arbitration works. Those are the numbers they're going into arb with. Those are not the numbers Philly is presenting to Schenn and his agent for a long term deal. Its a lowball and highball to set middle ground. Both parties want a long term deal, but arbitration doesnt allow that. They also cant introduce prior negotiations terms. So if the Flyers had offered Schenn 5x5 a few month ago and Schenn turned it down, Schenn can't cite that during arbitration when the Flyers are using that 4.25 number. These are likely the numbers each party began with as negotiations started last offseason.

If they settle before arb, its not going to be for 1 or 2 years, and its not going to be near the number Schenn or the Flyers want. In most cases arbitration is used to set a deadline for a deal. Players and teams rarely go all the way to arb.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
hes gonna get massively overpaid, average player who somehow put up points.

Somehow puts up points? Do I need to explain how points work in the NHL? He is pretty good at it, and has gotten better every year. Also, he hits and will fight, is willing to all the dirty work in the corners, take the beating in front of the net...... Idk what else you would want from him. More points? Sure, me too. Better defensively? Yeah, that would be nice. He is trending in the right direction, I don't get the hate....:help:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
It's called a big desperation stretch. Schenn is a very good, improving player. We could have a one on one skills competition with Schenn and Kadri, but only if Kadri's mommy remembers to set the alarm clock....

I don't understand the desperation stretch comment. What does it mean? Is there some sort of competition I'm unaware of? Facts are desperation? How do you know that Kadri's mom sets his alarm clock and what does that even mean? Are you stalking him?

Please answer all questions, if your feelings aren't hurt. Thank you.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
why is philly lowballing

Why is the Schenn camp overpricing him? It's called negotiation. Flyers offered 4.25 and Schenn wants 5.5. Meeting in the middle at 4.85 / 4.9 per is fair based on Kreider and Johansson... Schenn would make more than both of them, rightfully so. Both of those players signed for 4 or 4+ years. Schenn will need to be willing to go at least 4.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Explain please.

Since you seem to have missed it.

Jason Blake? Really? Jason Blake was an UDFA who scored 40 goals in his age 33 season and was diagnosed with leukemia after signing the resulting contract. What in the world does he have to do with a 24 year old former top prospect who always showed flashes and seems to have found some consistency?

What exactly do the two have in common?

I get that Schenn has a negative connotation to most because he's never going to be the 1C he was supposed to be, but this is getting ridiculous.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
They signed him to a 2 year deal? Did I miss that?

:shakehead

If there is no agreement before arbitration, they will, and they explicitly chose the 2 year over the 1 year contract in that scenario. Is this so hard to understand?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He can't explain

hes gonna get massively overpaid, average player who somehow put up points.

Nice to see 2 of biggest Flyers haters chime in with opinions that make no sense. When is Needle due to arrive?

As others, and myself, have shown, Schenn has outproduced Kadri in each of hand last 2 years. Kadri in up and down on how he has played. Schenn has increased his point total over the previous year for 6 STRAIGHT YEARS.

Then add on that Kadri's best year is 50 points....Schenn's is 59.

If Schenn gets a deal like 5.2 million, that means the expectation is he produces 52 points a year. Is that so outrageous? Would I love to see a 4.7 deal? For sure. But when you have Smith getting 5 million for 50 points, it's hard to argue that Schenn should be paid less after a 59 point season.

Yet here you 2 are trying to do just that. Too funny.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Nice to see 2 of biggest Flyers haters chime in with opinions that make no sense. When is Needle due to arrive?

As others, and myself, have shown, Schenn has outproduced Kadri in each of hand last 2 years. Kadri in up and down on how he has played. Schenn has increased his point total over the previous year for 6 STRAIGHT YEARS.

Then add on that Kadri's best year is 50 points....Schenn's is 59.

If Schenn gets a deal like 5.2 million, that means the expectation is he produces 52 points a year. Is that so outrageous? Would I love to see a 4.7 deal? For sure. But when you have Smith getting 5 million for 50 points, it's hard to argue that Schenn should be paid less after a 59 point season.

Yet here you 2 are trying to do just that. Too funny.

I may be a Leaf fan but I've always loved the Flyers (Hextall is my all time favourite player) so I watch a lot of their games. I don't think Schenn is any better than Kadri and I don't think he's $700k better.

I understand your reasoning and see why you think he should get $5.2M because this is the NHL.

In regards to Kadri being up and down, it's because of Wilson/Carlyle. They treated him like garbage and he didn't know what was going on. Last year was his first year with a coach who actually repected him and after a slow start (shoiting% wise) he had a great season.

I prefer Kadri to Schenn even though I wasn't a big fan of his until this year when he proved to Babcock and fans that he is an excellent player.

I do hope Schenn builds on that 59 point season and keeps improving but I think this may be his peak.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Since you seem to have missed it.

What exactly do the two have in common?

I get that Schenn has a negative connotation to most because he's never going to be the 1C he was supposed to be, but this is getting ridiculous.

Yes, I did miss that. Thanks for re-posting.

Jason Blake just came to my head because it seems some people in this thread want to pay Schenn for 1 good year. I never said they were similar in any way. Probably a bad analogy but Blake is my go to for anomaly seasons.

Also, the OP was not clear on what comparison he was talking about because I also compared Kadri which is who I thought he meant. Hopefully he learns how to use the bold tags one day.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
He never had a 60 point season yet somehow he's a 60 point player? :laugh::sarcasm:

Sorry, just wanted to get that out of the way early.

Oh dear, nitpicking for its own sake. If you're talking about value, the difference in pay between 59 and 60 points should be beyond notice.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He can't explain

Do you have a contractual obligation to make a negative comment in every thread about a Flyers player, or is it just a hobby?

It's particularly odd in this case since Schenn's 59 points is more than any Devils player has scored in a season since the lockout apart from Jagr.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Yes, I did miss that. Thanks for re-posting.

Jason Blake just came to my head because it seems some people in this thread want to pay Schenn for 1 good year. I never said they were similar in any way. Probably a bad analogy but Blake is my go to for anomaly seasons.

Also, the OP was not clear on what comparison he was talking about because I also compared Kadri which is who I thought he meant. Hopefully he learns how to use the bold tags one day.

Why anomaly? Schenn has shown improvements in each season. These are steady steps and growth in Schenn's development.

He's 24 years old, all of his prime years should be ahead of him.

Phasenet

Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I personally think philly should trade him, his brother is gone now and he doesn't seem to have any chemistry with Giroux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad