Rumor: Brayden Schenn Asking Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

That's surprising. If they come and meet more towards the middle that would be around 5 mil, which would be a steal of a price-tag for what he did last season and his age/toolset. A two year-deal deal would be perfect as far as risk minimization goes too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's surprising. If they come and meet more towards the middle that would be around 5 mil, which would be a steal of a price-tag for what he did last season and his age/toolset. A two year-deal deal would be perfect as far as risk minimization goes too.

A 2 year deal would make him a UFA. No way the Flyers do that.

It will be 1 year or between 4-6.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

It's only buying RFA years. If it's a long term deal, it'll be more than five million.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Seems fair, he's only asking for $500,000 for every time he started a fight and got his ass beat.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
5.5M would be fair value. Looking at Killorn's and Johansson's contracts, I don't know how they could argue he's only worth 4.25M.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Schenn is worth Kreider money or slightly more. Between 4.75 and 5 (max). Anything above 5 is overpayment. The good news is they're not far off. 4.85 would be a meet in the middle but Schenn will need to go at least 4-5 years.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't even realize he had 59 points in 80 games last season. Well, damn. I think he definitely ends up getting closer to $5.5m than $4.25m.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A point away from being 60 point player last year. Likely Would have been had he not missed 2 games last year.

Got to think he will get 5M for starters. Longer term closer to 5M, shorter term 5.5M is my guess. Still only 24 years old.

I would do a 5Mx7 year deal that will bring him to age 31. Save a bit on the cap hit for more years.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Got to think he will get 5M for starters. Longer term closer to 5M, shorter term 5.5M is my guess. Still only 24 years old.

Disagree on your correlation of years and AAV. I believe that if the term increases, the AAV increases because for every year after 2, you are buying UFA years. If the Flyers can get a 4-6 year deal between 5.25-5.5M, this will be a very smart deal. If they can't, they may go to arbitration, accept the one year deal and let Schenn prove that he can sustain his play of the last 4 months moving forward. If Schenn does maintain or improve, the long term deal gets more expensive next season for sure, because you have more certainty about what you are paying for. Those are the risks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Disagree on your correlation of years and AAV. I believe that if the term increases, the AAV increases because for every year after 2, you are buying UFA years. If the Flyers can get a 4-6 year deal between 5.25-5.5M, this will be a very smart deal. If they can't, they may go to arbitration, accept the one year deal and let Schenn prove that he can sustain his play of the last 4 months moving forward. If Schenn does maintain or improve, the long term deal gets more expensive next season for sure, because you have more certainty about what you are paying for. Those are the risks.

All I am saying is if the Flyers believe he is a core player moving fwd, they may as well give him more years to reduce the potential average yearly cap hit. If you are a GM, Cap Mgt and allocation of those assets is one of the calls that makes or breaks their success. I have always thought Schenn would be one the better players picked from the 2009 draft. If you wait and he follows it up with another 60 point season. Then Schenn will likely be harder to sign long term or for less. Schenn's benefit to sign long term is security while not risking an off year, while capitalizing on his show me year this past season. Lots of ways to play this. Hextall is a smart operator, will be interesting how he deals with this contract.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
You produce at a rate worth about 5.5 for one year, and ask for a longer deal reflecting that. Unfortunately for Schenn, Hextall wants to give him a deal that reflects not just last year but the entirety of his career. The short term offer says, prove to me you can do that consistently and you'll get paid when this deal is up.

I'd have to agree with Hextall.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
A 2 year deal would make him a UFA. No way the Flyers do that.

It will be 1 year or between 4-6.

uhh....

the Flyers literally just chose a 2 year arbitration over a 1 year arbitration. So yeah, they just did that.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I doubt that they're only pushing for a two year deal.

edit: I guess they are pushing for that.

Schenn filed for arbitration and the Flyers decided to go for a 2 year term IF they end up in arbitration and the arbitrator ends up ruling on it. It being 1 or 2 years was Philly's choice since Schenn filed for it and he's 2 years away from UFA.

It doesn't mean in contract talks the Flyers are trying to sign him for only 2 years.

Also, when is this specific forum getting a 'news' prefix? This is not a rumor, this is actual news. Been harping on this for years now.

Mad Brills*

He a much better player than Kadri should get more, of course the Leafs are famous for over paying players, stats say it all, Schenn vs Kadri. :help:

lol you think kadri's overpaid.

That's laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad