Eklund Rumor: Brayden Point trade

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I get the mocking and think its deserved but this happening wasnt as impossible as some make it sound like. NHL Playoffs are hard. TB has been good in them previously and had an amazing season, but even through all that its still hard to win a playoff series. I think TB fans were spoiled through our last 5 years. We made a real quick turn around and we went far numerous times. Happened a couple of times when people didnt think TB would get that far at all. Even our own fans predicted this, including me. 2015 and 16 were years where we were lucky to go as far as we did. Especially 16 because we played like crap for majority of that season but we went far again. You really dont know how far your team will go. Even if they win a record amount of games. Its a big deal, but I think to anybody that watches hockey knows that the playoffs arent easy, its rarely the team everybody that thinks should win, wins it.

Best #1 seed in the history of the league got swept by the 8 seed. It isn't that easy, like you said, despite the Blue Jackets making it look easy. It was as close to impossible as we've ever seen in round 1.

I'm not trying to rub it in, I know it probably seems that way. I just think it was historic. Literally nobody predicted that. I'm curious what you're referring to when you said your own fans and yourself predicted it, which is really why I'm even making the post in the first place. But I promise it isn't meant to be mean-spirited!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Best #1 seed in the history of the league got swept by the 8 seed. It isn't that easy, like you said, despite the Blue Jackets making it look easy. It was as close to impossible as we've ever seen in round 1.

I'm not trying to rub it in, I know it probably seems that way. I just think it was historic. Literally nobody predicted that. I'm curious what you're referring to when you said your own fans and yourself predicted it, which is really why I'm even making the post in the first place. But I promise it isn't meant to be mean-spirited!

It was historic, and it was awful. There's a fatal flaw in this team. I think it's the coach, mainly. But it's also noteworthy that our best playoff forwards of the Yzerman era (Kucherov and Johnson) have gone quiet since Ondrej Palat's injury-induced decline. So he might have been an even more important piece than we'd realized. (Also note: Palat himself never seemed to have a big post-season. But the players on his line often did. Even in 2018, it was Point, Johnson, and Palat who shut down Bergeron.)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

We don’t have the right coach to win a Stanley cup in Tampa ! Cooper is not ever winning a cup in Tampa! He has had stacked teams here and he has done nothing with it. You got Vasy, kucherov, stamkos, hedman, point and mcdonagh! How the heck does this guy not have at least one Stanley cup by now ? Not to mention those star players I mentioned they had great support and depth! In JT Miller, Tyler johnson, gourde, palat, cirelli and Joseph. Our GM should have woken up and made a coaching change after the sweep embrassment!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
What's been the hold up for him signing? What kind of money is he expecting vs the money Tampa is willing to offer?
My guess is they are just waiting for the other rfas to sign / they arent in a rush . They signed kucherov to his beauty bridge deal right before camp last time they had an rfa this good

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
My guess is they are just waiting for the other rfas to sign / they arent in a rush . They signed kucherov to his beauty bridge deal right before camp last time they had an rfa this good
Yep he has no arbitration rights and until he starts missing training camp then they would consider not having a contract done a problem. Right now both sides are both sitting trying to get a better deal.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I can’t believe this hasn’t happened. Mind blowing really.

Not really. Tough to pry Point from Tampa. On what other team will he play with someone like Kucherov while at the same time not pay any state tax?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
But I also have a theory that they could wait and hold him out all training camp then when they place Ryan Callahan on LTIR they can offer point say 8 years 9 avv per season. Because when the season starts Tampa can go over the salary cap by 5.8 million.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
You would think Tampa would move out a different piece before moving on from point.
If it’s out of those 3 I would have to bet Detroit and it would start with Mantha++

with the exception of Kucherov, all TB's players making more than 2m have NTC's

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
But I also have a theory that they could wait and hold him out all training camp then when they place Ryan Callahan on LTIR they can offer point say 8 years 9 avv per season. Because when the season starts Tampa can go over the salary cap by 5.8 million.
They could use it during the offseason like Toronto did before you just want to load up your team to be as close to the 5.8 over as possible if you do it that way.

It gets kinda confusing but they don't actually have to wait to use it

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
They could use it during the offseason like Toronto did before you just want to load up your team to be as close to the 5.8 over as possible if you do it that way.

It gets kinda confusing but they don't actually have to wait to use it
I still think they would like to trade Callahan and not deal with going over the cap for the ltir if they can. Because we got like 4 players on entry level deals. Our gm probably wants the bonus money on this years salary cap and not on next years. We also have 3 goalies so sooner or later dom is getting traded that will free up another 1.15 million. As for Toronto I think they have to use it in the offseason otherwise they can’t sign marner?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I still think they would like to trade Callahan and not deal with going over the cap for the ltir if they can. Because we got like 4 players on entry level deals. Our gm probably wants the bonus money on this years salary cap and not on next years. We also have 3 goalies so sooner or later dom is getting traded that will free up another 1.15 million. As for Toronto I think they have to use it in the offseason otherwise they can’t sign marner?
Toronto could do it day one or whatever too but they would probably prefer to use it during the offseason .

Maybe they wait for point but missing the pre season/ training camp tends to give guys slow starts . Tampa's stacked tho so it prob wouldn't matter but they would probably prefer to move Callahans contract for cheap if that's the best option as far as contracts

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wait what 4 players let me see what kinda bonuses they have if they are lower picks it might not be much

I think it's around 1.5 million in bonus money total if they all hit

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Sergachev is the most he was a first rounder. Cernak was a 2nd rounder, cirelli was a 3rd rounder. And Joseph who was a 4th rounder.
I looked I think it's around 1.5 doing sloppy math sergs is the majority of that

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I looked I think it's around 1.5 doing sloppy math sergs is the majority of that
Yep so 1.5 would roll over and next year we got Vasy, sergachev, cernak, cirelli and Joseph all as RFA’s . So next summer I’d expect killorn to be shipped out by Tampa for cap space since he is the only one that won’t have a Ntc and will have a modified Ntc.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yep so 1.5 would roll over and next year we got Vasy, sergachev, cernak, cirelli and Joseph all as RFA’s . So next summer I’d expect killorn to be shipped out by Tampa for cap space since he is the only one that won’t have a Ntc and will have a modified Ntc.
Eh maybe they move Callahan or wait till day one of the season . Who knows but Tampa always seems to find a way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad