Eklund Rumor: Brayden Point trade

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No.

Tampa is fully worthy of getting mocked for last year's playoffs. It might be the biggest collapse in team sports history based on how big a favorite they were and how badly they lost. It was really, really bad.

I'm just saying - one bad playoff doesn't make a player a bad playoff performer, so it's not fair to say Point is a bad playoff performer.

I get the mocking and think its deserved but this happening wasnt as impossible as some make it sound like. NHL Playoffs are hard. TB has been good in them previously and had an amazing season, but even through all that its still hard to win a playoff series. I think TB fans were spoiled through our last 5 years. We made a real quick turn around and we went far numerous times. Happened a couple of times when people didnt think TB would get that far at all. Even our own fans predicted this, including me. 2015 and 16 were years where we were lucky to go as far as we did. Especially 16 because we played like crap for majority of that season but we went far again. You really dont know how far your team will go. Even if they win a record amount of games. Its a big deal, but I think to anybody that watches hockey knows that the playoffs arent easy, its rarely the team everybody that thinks should win, wins it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I get the mocking and think its deserved but this happening wasnt as impossible as some make it sound like. NHL Playoffs are hard. TB has been good in them previously and had an amazing season, but even through all that its still hard to win a playoff series. I think TB fans were spoiled through our last 5 years. We made a real quick turn around and we went far numerous times. Happened a couple of times when people didnt think TB would get that far at all. Even our own fans predicted this, including me. 2015 and 16 were years where we were lucky to go as far as we did. Especially 16 because we played like crap for majority of that season but we went far again. You really dont know how far your team will go. Even if they win a record amount of games. Its a big deal, but I think to anybody that watches hockey knows that the playoffs arent easy, its rarely the team everybody that thinks should win, wins it.

It's not that they didn't win the cup. It's how they lost - so quickly, in 4, with barely any visible effort.

Strong favorites have fallen short of winning the cup before. Strong favorites have even fallen early in the playoffs (Pens in 93), or even in round 1 (Detroit in 94 and 03) when they had no business to.

So everything you say it's true. There's no guarantee to win the cup - and maybe a lot of you even saw it coming that your team wouldn't necessarily go all the way last year. That's fine.

But it comes down to how they lost in 4, so quickly, without ever even being in almost any of the games. Detroit got swept in round 1 of 03 in what people generally call one of the biggest upsets ever - but at least they dominated every game by a lot and just ran into a red-hot goalie that stole it. Capitals in 2010 had no business losing to Habs after being up 3-1, but again, at least looking back you can say they clearly dominated/deserved to win, they just ran into an insane goalie.

None of that happened with Tampa this year. It was just....bad all around.

Reactions: haveandare

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
No.

Tampa is fully worthy of getting mocked for last year's playoffs. It might be the biggest collapse in team sports history based on how big a favorite they were and how badly they lost. It was really, really bad.

I'm just saying - one bad playoff doesn't make a player a bad playoff performer, so it's not fair to say Point is a bad playoff performer.
It was a massive collapse, but how can a team that didn't even qualify for the playoffs mock a team for a poor performance in the playoffs? Tiger Woods played like crap at the Open today. I didn't qualify for the Open this year, but I've got room to mock right?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's not that they didn't win the cup. It's how they lost - so quickly, in 4, with barely any visible effort.

Strong favorites have fallen short of winning the cup before. Strong favorites have even fallen early in the playoffs (Pens in 93), or even in round 1 (Detroit in 94 and 03) when they had no business to.

So everything you say it's true. There's no guarantee to win the cup - and maybe a lot of you even saw it coming that your team wouldn't necessarily go all the way last year. That's fine.

But it comes down to how they lost in 4, so quickly, without ever even being in almost any of the games. Detroit got swept in round 1 of 03 in what people generally call one of the biggest upsets ever - but at least they dominated every game by a lot and just ran into a red-hot goalie that stole it. Capitals in 2010 had no business losing to Habs after being up 3-1, but again, at least looking back you can say they clearly dominated/deserved to win, they just ran into an insane goalie.

It was bad all around and I think it shocked many and I agree that the effort should most definitely be shamed. I just think even with it being so bad, it proved to me that the playoffs are totally different than the regular season and its no guarantee that any team wins any game. Reason I say that is because it was so baffling that we got outplayed so bad. They were so good last year. I found it hard to believe then and I find it hard to believe now still. I think Columbus did an amazing job and they deserve credit but I also feel like something was missing from TB where it just wasnt the same team. Something felt fluky to me about their sweep. I think what it really is that there are so many factors in play that I just didnt really appreciate before and it comes down to that its just really hard to win in the playoffs. TB had their reasons for why they lost but it doesnt really matter in the end because they lost and in embarrassing fashion and for that yes they deserve all criticism going their way.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Common sense, for starters. Look, Brayden Point is an excellent, excellent hockey player but you don't trade Risto, Reinhart, our #7 overall pick this year and our presumed first round pick next year to get him. You just offer sheet him and let the chips fall where they may. It's a MUCH smarter play to sign him to a $12 million deal and let the four picks go knowing that Tampa can't possibly match than to jettison 110 points out of our current lineup and (at worst) 130+ points out of future lineups to add one guy who *might* sign here for $10.5m (let's not forget that even if we trade for him, we still have to actually SIGN him). Then you're adding Point to Reinhart and Risto and Cozens and all it's costing is next year's first (and the three after that).

I love how players who has played in the NHL at an all-star level are valued the same as prospects. Nylander at #8, Grigorenko @ 14th -- useless. Remember?

Here's the part where I tell you Point was better than Eichel last year. Better scorer, playmaker, faceoff -- everything last year. He is also only six months older. What would you want for Eichel -- 3 to 4 quality pieces.

Risto -- personally I like him in a #2 or #3 spot with that contract. Little work on deal. Fair enough, TB gets cap hit savings or no extra pick.
Add in Cozens -- Total who knows. I don't like players who brake thumb in first practice. Fluke? Likely? Or breakable.
Reinhart -- He's going to be paid way more than he's worth. He's a top 6 player, not top 3. I don't want to pay him $10.5 Million over 8...no thanks. Bye. Break up Eichel dominance of team. End country club.
Sure change the 1st to a 2nd.

This idea of signing him for $12 M...fantasy. They match. If he even signs that. No taxes in Tampa Bay, tough to compete on salary. His $10.5 M is like $9.5 M in Tampa Bay. He can take less there.

No sure why Point is underestimated here? A week of bad playoff hockey?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I'm a habs fan. We won 24 cups. Tampa won 1 cup.

Somehow - because this past season we missed the playoff by 2 points we're not allowed to make fun of a team who had one of the biggest collapses ever?

I think you need thicker skin. When your team falls as flat as yours did, you'll be mocked.

Thought the only group that was classless enough to play that card was Yankees fans? Have to give credit, 24 Cups is a record. Unfortunately, the last one you won was before several posters on this site were probably born. Much like the history of the Yankees, the records set in the past are awesome but most fans have to ask "What have you done for me lately?"

Reactions: Stickpucker

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

You're not getting Point. Sorry not sorry. Now try and offer sheet someone else. I mean its bound to work EVENTUALLY right?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No sure why Point is underestimated here? A week of bad playoff hockey?

Because people want to get something for cheaper than it actually is. That is every posters hope that happens to their team when making trades. That they dont have to give up something expensive to get something expensive. Rarely it ever happens but fans will keep on hoping its their own that gets this kind of move done.

Reactions: Torontoborn

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Point was traded what is the Bolts needs? A Point clone or what?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
8BF1A46C-4A9E-4521-846D-7357E9272C85.jpeg
8BF1A46C-4A9E-4521-846D-7357E9272C85.jpeg
Because people want to get something for cheaper than it actually is. That is every posters hope that happens to their team when making trades. That they dont have to give up something expensive to get something expensive. Rarely it ever happens but fans will keep on hoping its their own that gets this kind of move done.

People always overestimate potential compared to actually NHL productivity. The other side is overestimating current NHLer on down side.

These are absurd numbers for first three years in NHL from 20-22 year old. Find me many comparables.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
View attachment 245425 View attachment 245425

People always overestimate potential compared to actually NHL productivity. The other side is overestimating current NHLer on down side.

These are absurd numbers for first three years in NHL from 20-22 years sold. Find me many comparables.

Well I say that often times teams dont get the value they think they should from a trade but most offers on HF boards are just too crazy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It seems obvious.

He doesn't have a contract. RFA isn't exactly UFA but close enough - he's up for grabs and all/any teams are allowed to talk to him. The expected price for offer sheet is 4 1sts which might be a lot - so some teams may think instead of paying 4 1sts "what if i did 1 1st and those 2 prospects" - and that's how trade talks occur.

Doesn't mean it'll land somewhere but that's why trade talks are absolutely happening with Tampa and other teams now.

Stamkos has a contract and is one of their very best players. Why would he be up for trade?

You think TB is absolutely in trade talks with some other teams about Point? When its been reported by others not named Eklund that he wants to stay in TB?

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Point was traded what is the Bolts needs? A Point clone or what?

Pretty much, yeah.

Trading Point would put a deadline on our window. Keeping him gives us a(nother) 1C for about a decade, which leaves us in a good position to keep building, even when some of our bigger stars decline. I don't see any way we accept an offer that wouldn't more/less cripple the other team, which makes the trade unrealistic.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Probably, but none of them concern Point.

You think TB is absolutely in trade talks with some other teams about Point? When its been reported by others not named Eklund that he wants to stay in TB?

Not in "active" trade talks no. But he's a very sought after RFA. I guarantee teams have approached him about a potential offer sheet. And then have similarly approached Tampa management saying "hey we really wanted this guy - you haven't signed him. We'd rather not do an OS, is a trade possible? What about if we offer you this guy and that guy?"

I'm not saying it would have gotten any further than that. Tampa may simply have an exorbitant price because they have no intention of losing him and right away said no thanks, or said "sure - throw in McDavid"... But high level trade talks have likely occurred between all the teams with high profile RFAs, Tampa and Point, Leafs and Marner, etc.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Point's saying he won't sign an offer-sheet, there's no way TB is then saying, "Well, we might trade you though."

The last report on the hold-up has been term. But I think it's a lack of urgency combined with waiting to see what happens around the league. All these RFAs are like dominoes.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not in "active" trade talks no. But he's a very sought after RFA. I guarantee teams have approached him about a potential offer sheet. And then have similarly approached Tampa management saying "hey we really wanted this guy - you haven't signed him. We'd rather not do an OS, is a trade possible? What about if we offer you this guy and that guy?"

I'm not saying it would have gotten any further than that. Tampa may simply have an exorbitant price because they have no intention of losing him and right away said no thanks, or said "sure - throw in McDavid"... But high level trade talks have likely occurred between all the teams with high profile RFAs, Tampa and Point, Leafs and Marner, etc.

Well yea I think thats due diligence and I think you expect that to happen. Whether they are serious or not is another thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad