News: Brayden Point open to bridge, 5-year or even 8-year extension with Tampa as per agent

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Maple leafs have an unfair tax advantage, when is the nhl going to step in and level the playing field for other teams!?!?!?

NHL is trying to stop signing bonuses.

No one on this board is even aware it's taxed differently.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Rielly was RFA and makes 5 million. Kadri RFA and makes 4.5. Andersen RFA and makes 5 million.

None of those are the RFA I’m talking about (hint: it’s the one you guys are so desperate to trade Zaitsev and Marleau to afford.)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t know why we are still debating this, he is getting 8x8.

If he gets 8x8, I think TB fans roll over laughing. That would be one of the better deals in the league. And not entirely unrealistic.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
None of those are the RFA I’m talking about (hint: it’s the one you guys are so desperate to trade Zaitsev and Marleau to afford.)

Nylander is great value FYI. Look s terrific the past 7 games.
We are desperate to trade Zaitsev and Marleau because both are terrible.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Nylander is great value FYI. Look s terrific the past 7 games.
We are desperate to trade Zaitsev and Marleau because both are terrible.

Getting closer. Would it be clearer if I said “impending RFA”? I thought that would be obvious considering the comparisons to Point throughout the last couple of pages but I guess it wasn’t.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Getting closer. Would it be clearer if I said “impending RFA”? I thought that would be obvious considering the comparisons to Point throughout the last couple of pages but I guess it wasn’t.
Marner? Matthews? Sorry I am not following.

Marner desrerves no more than Point or Rantanen.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Honestly I think we'd match a bigger offer sheet than that. Under no circumstances do we lose this kid. He's the future.
Fair enough. I don't think he'd pull much more than that...It may shake the structure of the team. Tampa has this old "Detroit model" however ponying up to pay the kid if it did happen (which offer sheets are rare) could rock the boat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fair enough. I don't think he'd pull much more than that...It may shake the structure of the team. Tampa has this old "Detroit model" however ponying up to pay the kid if it did happen (which offer sheets are rare) could rock the boat.

Losing Point is arguably the worst thing that could happen to us, so we won't let it happen. There's a pretty clear plan to pay him 9-10. The extra few million can be found. If a team offers him a sheet, it'll be only to **** with our cap structure, not a real attempt to land him. There's no possibility of that.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
They have the cap space. This has been gone over again and again. Mitch marner is 100% signing with the Leafs.

Assuming a cap of $83.5M the Leafs currently have $11.59M of free cap space for next season with at least eight spots to fill (and that’s if you’re going to run with only 22 players on your roster.) Leafs fans insist that Nylander will not be traded, and I think we can assume that Matthews and Rielly won’t either. That means the only large contracts you can easily move are Kadri and Muzzin. Even if you trade both of them for futures that leaves you with $20M in cap space to fill at least ten roster spots; Marner will likely require in the vicinity of half of that which leaves you around $10M to fill nine roster spots. And again, that’s for a 22-man roster.

So it isn’t impossible, but your depth will be practically nonexistent unless you are somehow able to move Zaitsev or Marleau.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Assuming a cap of $83.5M the Leafs currently have $11.59M of free cap space for next season with at least eight spots to fill (and that’s if you’re going to run with only 22 players on your roster.) Leafs fans insist that Nylander will not be traded, and I think we can assume that Matthews and Rielly won’t either. That means the only large contracts you can easily move are Kadri and Muzzin. Even if you trade both of them for futures that leaves you with $20M in cap space to fill at least ten roster spots; Marner will likely require in the vicinity of half of that which leaves you around $10M to fill nine roster spots. And again, that’s for a 22-man roster.

So it isn’t impossible, but your depth will be practically nonexistent unless you are somehow able to move Zaitsev or Marleau.

Losing A depth guy, while being very deep as it is, doesn't make your depth non-existent FYI.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

In a worst case scenario we lose Miller and Gourde to afford all our key RFAs over the next couple of years; the Lightning were one of the top teams in the league before we had either of them on our roster. And that’s if we have to give Point a McDavid-sized contract. Obviously a bridge would help us but we’ll have no problem signing Point to whatever it takes.

Reactions: Todd1a and DFC

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Losing A depth guy, while being very deep as it is, doesn't make your depth non-existent FYI.

It’s not losing Kadri and Muzzin that makes your depth nonexistent - it’s filling almost half your roster with players on entry level salaries that makes your depth nonexistent.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Losing Point is arguably the worst thing that could happen to us, so we won't let it happen. There's a pretty clear plan to pay him 9-10. The extra few million can be found. If a team offers him a sheet, it'll be only to **** with our cap structure, not a real attempt to land him. There's no possibility of that.
I don't think teams will actively attempt to give away offer sheets to screw with teams.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
In a worst case scenario we lose Miller and Gourde to afford all our key RFAs over the next couple of years; the Lightning were one of the top teams in the league before we had either of them on our roster. And that’s if we have to give Point a McDavid-sized contract. Obviously a bridge would help us but we’ll have no problem signing Point to whatever it takes.
True, you're in a good situation because it would be easy to move players Gourde and Miller and still get a good return on them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think teams will actively attempt to give away offer sheets to screw with teams.

I agree. But there's no other reason to offer sheet Point. Unless you're planning to make him the highest paid player in the league, we're gonna match. I'm honestly not sure what the number would be to keep us from matching. This is an elite two-way center capable of, conservatively, 90 points, at 22 years old. Not the kind of kid you let go of easily.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I find it hilarious how some fans are like Marner is better than Point but Marner's number is cheaper than Point's? If people are expecting Point at 10.5 to 11, why is the thought Marner will come in at the same? Wouldnt that mean Marner will make the same as Matthews or more? Not make less than Point?

The truth is players in Tampa have proven time and time again to take less money to stay as a group. The recent track record for Toronto is players trying to get every dollar they can. Toronto fans better be hoping more than any other fanbase, not named Tampa, that Point comes in cheaper than perceived.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad