News: Brayden Point open to bridge, 5-year or even 8-year extension with Tampa as per agent

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
The continuous Dubas bashing (in a Tampa thread no less) is hilarious.

There used to be a time you'd wait to see the team's results before judging a GM. For example we know Chiarelli was a moron because he proved it over many years and the mess he left in his wake will take years to fix. We saw a generous sample size and were left with no doubts.

Dubas is being written off before his first playoff run even starts just because he sat down with a few players and signed some papers. It's getting childish and petty at this point.

And it's not just non-Leafs fans doing the bashing either, it's Leafs 'fans' too. Truly boggles the mind.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The continuous Dubas bashing (in a Tampa thread no less) is hilarious.

There used to be a time you'd wait to see the team's results before judging a GM. For example we know Chiarelli was a moron because he proved it over many years and the mess he left in his wake will take years to fix. We saw a generous sample size and were left with no doubts.

Dubas is being written off before his first playoff run even starts just because he sat down with a few players and signed some papers. It's getting childish and petty at this point.

And it's not just non-Leafs fans doing the bashing either, it's Leafs 'fans' too. Truly boggles the mind.
A lot of people on this website are either young or extremely childish and many dont even seem to watch hockey just hockeydb players to formulate all their opinions.

Reactions: Feliix

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Who in God's name is gonna put out an $11 million offer sheet to Point and even has the cap to do it?

11 million is 4 first round draft picks 10.1 million is 2 firsts a second and a third.

Who would give up 11 million and 4 first round draft picks I have no idea.

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Just spent more time than I'd like to admit reading this thread and I gotta say, it's very questionable how fast non-leafs fans turn a non-leafs thread into a thread about the Leafs

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

And what exactly is laughable about that? Point is currently fifth in the league in goals and seventh in the league in points. Neither Matthews nor Marner is even in the top 30 for goals and Marner is ninth in points while Matthews doesn’t crack the top 30 there either. And Point is better defensively than both of them as well.

It’s funny how delusional Leafs fans are simultaneously underrating Point while at the same time trying to tell us that we won’t be able to afford his next deal. And they also want to claim that Matthews and Marner are both top five forwards in the NHL but yet Marner will supposedly sign for significantly less than Matthews. It’d be hilarious if they didn’t constantly post the same nonsense in thread after thread, regardless of whether or not the thread has anything to do with them.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
11 million is 4 first round draft picks 10.1 million is 2 firsts a second and a third.

Who would give up 11 million and 4 first round draft picks I have no idea.
Kind of true. It would be based on years. For example if a team offer sheets Point at 10.1 x 7 years, that is a total of 70.7 million dollar contract. The compensation is actually divided by 5 years even though the contract is 7. So compensation average becomes, 14.14 AAV which would make it 4 first round picks. For a 7 year offer sheet the AAV would have to be 7.21 x 7 years for it to equal a 10.1 compensation. Which at that point Tampa matches in a heart beat.

EDIT: I guess at this point that is a big deterrent for an Offer Sheet also. It has to be high enough where the compensation stays low and more than Tampa will pay. So if the target number is 10.1 over 7 years, compensation becomes 4 1sts.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Kind of true. It would be based on years. For example if a team offer sheets Point at 10.1 x 7 years, that is a total of 70.7 million dollar contract. The compensation is actually divided by 5 years even though the contract is 7. So compensation average becomes, 14.14 AAV which would make it 4 first round picks. For a 7 year offer sheet the AAV would have to be 7.21 x 7 years for it to equal a 10.1 compensation. Which at that point Tampa matches in a heart beat.

Thank you for clarifying that i did just use a cap friendly offersheet calculator at 11 x 7.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Friedman said in his podcast last week he believes toronto and tampa were/are terrified of offersheets for matthews/point/marner

Friedman has been talking out of his ass for a long time now. I could see Toronto being concerned but the Lightning’s cap situation is nowhere near as bad and they’ll have no difficulty matching any offer for Point (of course at some point an overpayment would become so ridiculous that they would be better off simply taking the four firsts and using the cap space on Panarin instead, but the point is they can match any offer for Point without losing any of their core and still ice a strong team; the same cannot be said about the Leafs.)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
And what exactly is laughable about that? Point is currently fifth in the league in goals and seventh in the league in points. Neither Matthews nor Marner is even in the top 30 for goals and Marner is ninth in points while Matthews doesn’t crack the top 30 there either. And Point is better defensively than both of them as well.

It’s funny how delusional Leafs fans are simultaneously underrating Point while at the same time trying to tell us that we won’t be able to afford his next deal. And they also want to claim that Matthews and Marner are both top five forwards in the NHL but yet Marner will supposedly sign for significantly less than Matthews. It’d be hilarious if they didn’t constantly post the same nonsense in thread after thread, regardless of whether or not the thread has anything to do with them.

Dont even bother my friend!!.. Everyone knows what u say is true except for some people... Cant help it if it goes in one ear and out the other with some people.

I just assumed that alot of other people preferred Point over Matthews or Marner.. I didnt realize it was a laughable thing for me to say it lol

Looks like Point is the 1st of the 3 to hit 70 points in a season

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why is there so much Leafs talk.......
Point is amazing he IMO is worth more than Matthews right now. I just dont see how Tampa fits him, they will have to move some contracts, no doubt he will sign. somehow Tampa keeps on keeping their core together in the end.
I wonder how long a bridge deal Point would take. 3year 8M?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Why is there so much Leafs talk.......
Point is amazing he IMO is worth more than Matthews right now. I just dont see how Tampa fits him, they will have to move some contracts, no doubt he will sign. somehow Tampa keeps on keeping their core together in the end.
I wonder how long a bridge deal Point would take. 3year 8M?
If is 8 million it will be around 5-6 years.

Reactions: Oley49

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Who in God's name is gonna put out an $11 million offer sheet to Point and even has the cap to do it?

That's what Leaf fans kept asking about offersheets for Marner and Matthews, but we were told 4 1sts and that massive salary was worth it.

In fact, I was told Arizona can easily afford a max contract.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Friedman said in his podcast last week he believes toronto and tampa were/are terrified of offersheets for matthews/point/marner

I am really so over listening to the media rant about offersheets. Everytime I turn on the radio that's all I hear.
Media saying this will soften the blow I guess when no offersheets occur.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Assuming a cap of $83.5M the Leafs currently have $11.59M of free cap space for next season with at least eight spots to fill (and that’s if you’re going to run with only 22 players on your roster.) Leafs fans insist that Nylander will not be traded, and I think we can assume that Matthews and Rielly won’t either. That means the only large contracts you can easily move are Kadri and Muzzin. Even if you trade both of them for futures that leaves you with $20M in cap space to fill at least ten roster spots; Marner will likely require in the vicinity of half of that which leaves you around $10M to fill nine roster spots. And again, that’s for a 22-man roster.

So it isn’t impossible, but your depth will be practically nonexistent unless you are somehow able to move Zaitsev or Marleau.
Theyt have a lot more than that. Where did you get that number?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->