Brandon Wheatkings 23/24

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
Groening to PG for a 10 th round pick in 2027. Seriously!! Would have been better to get 2 rolls of tape but this just might be a way to clear a spot on their protected list.
lol, yes good point

RDS (French TSN) just posted Danielson will end the year as a WHL powerhouse

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
We were losing the arms race in the East and given that there is zero chance Danielson comes back to Junior yes this realistically was the correct decision to make. The return is a wait and see thing but the first round picks even if lower can be used as trade material for the next 2 years or so. It never hurts to accumulate draft choices that give a team a lot of flexibility.

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
I like the trade bring in two 18 year old's and two first round picks to use to load up the next two years. Never easy trading a good kid like Nate but it was the right decision.
Yes and with the team they have this year these two weren't seeing much ice time either. So if one goes by point production alone it doesn't look promising. But taking that into consideration and that we have produced a decent return for the now and tomorrow. Johnson is injured and listed day to day I believe. So time will tell.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Yes and with the team they have this year these two weren't seeing much ice time either. So if one goes by point production alone it doesn't look promising. But taking that into consideration and that we have produced a decent return for the now and tomorrow. Johnson is injured and listed day to day I believe. So time will tell.
Remains to be seen how the 2 players we got in the trade pan out.Both only have this year and next. I was hoping for one good 17 yr old but was not possible I guess. The picks were certainly good to get as building blocks. Hope we don’t see a sag in the team’s effort after the loss of their captain.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Remains to be seen how the 2 players we got in the trade pan out.Both only have this year and next. I was hoping for one good 17 yr old but was not possible I guess.

Still it helps the team in their 2 year window and then the next one led by Jaxon Jacobson.
The picks were certainly good to get as building blocks. Hope we don’t see a sag in the team’s effort after the loss of their captain.
I think the loss of Nate will be an opportunity for others to rise up and might be an indication of what type of team they will be going into next season.

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
Will we see both guys in the line-up tonight I know Johnson was day to day but haven't heard anything else

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Watching WK-SC game. WK had a 3-1 lead but are now down 4-3. Terrible defensive plays led to 3 SC goals. Elick and Mantei both having. tough games so far giving the puck away. Bjarnson has had better nights also. Terrible PP and PK just about as bad so far and for the most part this season. Why?? Can’t see how Dezouza is an improvement over Sadra-Kang. Big and soft
ouch!! Final 7-3 for SC. Scored the last 6 goals. Not a good night. Bjarnson is injured as well. Doesn’t rain it pours. Henry likely suspended again. Don’t think the WK can beat this team as the addition of Geekie is huge for SC.

Last edited:

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Watching WK-SC game. WK had a 3-1 lead but are now down 4-3. Terrible defensive plays led to 3 SC goals. Elick and Mantei both having. tough games so far giving the puck away. Bjarnson has had better nights also. Terrible PP and PK just about as bad so far and for the most part this season. Why?? Can’t see how Dezouza is an improvement over Sadra-Kang. Big and soft
ouch!! Final 7-3 for SC. Scored the last 6 goals. Not a good night. Bjarnson is injured as well. Doesn’t rain it pours. Henry likely suspended again. Don’t think the WK can beat this team as the addition of Geekie is huge for SC.
I take DeSouza and his unnoticeable game over Sadhra-Kang all day. No real difference - both big and soft but I prefer the 20-year-old I'm not shaking my head at every other shift.

Agree that the Elick/Mantei pair was dreadful, was a tough night for the D as a whole. Thought Maliavin looked decent and wouldn't mind getting him a look back on the PP2. I don't see the PP upside to Mantei and Shipley as is - Maybe Elick could even get some looks and start bombing some pucks on net? Could just be me but I feel a change on the backend there could spark some chances.

McQueen keeps showing signs of progress, using his size and speed to get to protect the puck and get to the net. Thought Klippenstein also had some nice shifts driving the net as well tonight.

I like the size on the back-end in Swift, they should be a handful in playoffs. I still feel they fall short of making a push but should make for some exciting series.

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
Brandon D is a real problem. I like Mantei but Not sure how Elick is ranked. He's brutal in his own end and Doesn't bring enough offence to make up for it. I still say Derlago needs to go. He's in charge if the D ( which is very strange as he was a forward) This back end of this team does not develop at all. PP is terrible and the PK is just as bad. This team has talent but I'm afraid coaching is letting them down. Plus this team is super soft. They have no push back at all. Swift were yapping at Eskit after every goal and nobody would do a thing to stop it

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Brandon D is a real problem. I like Mantei but Not sure how Elick is ranked. He's brutal in his own end and Doesn't bring enough offence to make up for it. I still say Derlago needs to go. He's in charge if the D ( which is very strange as he was a forward) This back end of this team does not develop at all. PP is terrible and the PK is just as bad. This team has talent but I'm afraid coaching is letting them down. Plus this team is super soft. They have no push back at all. Swift were yapping at Eskit after every goal and nobody would do a thing to stop it
That's kind of why I'm bringing up Elick - He has the package regarding his skating, size, physicality, shot, etc. It's fair to question his IQ and puck skills but I wonder how much of that portion of his game would improve given some minutes/confidence. I'd also really like to see a legit point-shot threat on the PP. Perhaps not a 1A option just yet but give the kid some looks.

Can't speak to or argue with your thoughts on coaching but would certainly agree it's a soft team. A good portion of the lineup is one-dimensional and undersized.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
8 game suspy for Henry
He is living on borrowed time. One more misconduct or whatever would mean a 20;game or more suspension so he is of no use to the WK. Too bad as he is the only physical player on the team making them even softer. Need some sand paper type players to go with the skill.
I wonder how serious the injury to Bjarnson is.? Need to win today and then don’t play until next Saturday. Johnson must be injured as well.

Last edited:

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Looking ahead to next year’s possible lineup the biggest question mark will be the OA situation. I would keep Roeresma out of the 5 19 yr olds the team has. Henry will not be kept nor will Malavian( who would be a 2 spotter and is not nearly good enough to keep). I would not keep Flamand or Shipley either——not good enough to keep as OA. Will need to find 2 somewhere which might be tough to do. Really cannot see any other scenario. The only possible might be Shipley but not a fan of his defensive play. There will be some rookies on defence. Clark,Hope, and Giorgios.
Beat PA today 6-4. Not a great game as the team has struggled post Xmas. Poor defence is really hurting this team and will keep them from advancing too far into the playoffs if they make them.
very sad to hear that Mark Johnston passed away. Great scout for the WK and be sorely missed. Condolences to his family.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think they keep both Flamand and Shipley to start the year.

I am not sold on Clark yet he doesn't seem strong enough. Hope is really good but I don't think they signed him yet. I think Pantelas is here for sure.

My guess is they see if they are good or not next. Jacobson is going to be really good. I am assuming Odut will be here as well next year. I can see Davies making the team as well.

Likely only have Bjarnson for one more year. If they are a mid team again I can see them moving him.

My guess at the starting lineup next year is

Jacobson/McQueen/Flamand
Roersma/Petr/Michaels
Hadland/Johnson/Klippenstien
Davies/Baumiller/Odut

Mantei/Elick
Shipley/Ravndahl
Tansem/Pantelas

Bjarnson/Eskit

My guess would be they bring in a 17 year old D man with some size as an import if they can. You might see one of the 16/17 year old goalies get along look in case they do decide to move Bjarnson.

The east is going to be a dogs breakfast next year with all those teams going for it this year., I don't know how good that team is next year but they do have experience at least in the league.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023

I am not sold on Clark yet he doesn't seem strong enough. Hope is really good but I don't think they signed him yet. I think Pantelas is here for sure.

My guess is they see if they are good or not next. Jacobson is going to be really good. I am assuming Odut will be here as well next year. I can see Davies making the team as well.

Likely only have Bjarnson for one more year. If they are a mid team again I can see them moving him.

Jacobson/McQueen/Flamand
Roersma/Petr/Michaels
Davies/Baumiller/Odut

Mantei/Elick
Shipley/Ravndahl
Tansem/Pantelas

Bjarnson/Eskit

My guess would be they bring in a 17 year old D man with some size as an import if they can. You might see one of the 16/17 year old goalies get along look in case they do decide to move Bjarnson.

The east is going to be a dogs breakfast next year with all those teams going for it this year., I don't know how good that team is next year but they do have experience at least in the league.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
I believe Hope is signed and so is Boehm. Both bigger than Clark——really not sure about him. Really not sold on Flamand. Need some sandpaper in the lineup. I would to se e the WK sign Darren Van Oens kid. Good stats and great Xmas tournament in Calgary. Should have his dad’s size as well. Plays in the CSSHL.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
I believe Hope is signed and so is Boehm. Both bigger than Clark——really not sure about him. Really not sold on Flamand. Need some sandpaper in the lineup. I would to se e the WK sign Darren Van Oens kid. Good stats and great Xmas tournament in Calgary. Should have his dad’s size as well. Plays in the CSSHL.

Jacobson/McQueen/Flamand
Roersma/Petr/Michaels
Davies/Baumiller/Odut

Mantei/Elick
Shipley/Ravndahl
Tansem/Pantelas

Bjarnson/Eskit

I expect Med Hat to roll away with the East next season. I'd say that looks like a decent lineup and it wouldn't surprise me if they kept both Flamand and Shipley as overagers. I agree they should be looking for an alternative for Flamand. Crowded up front, and could use some size, someone capable of being a difference maker there instead.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Wow! Pasternak is really having a great season with Victoria. Not sure but trading him may have been a mistake. Not too sure about the new d man but the forward looks ok.
great effort on Saturday shutting Lethbridge out 6-0. Eskit played really well in goal. Good on him. Klippenstein and Baumuller really seem to be coming on.

Last edited:

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
I dont think Pasternak wanted to be in Brandon. Came to camp with a back issue and it magically healed once they made the trade for Wiens. MM needs to keep Henry in the stands. The 4th line looks so much better without him. The kids don't need him. Let the young guys Develop

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Watched game vs Calgary and this game was a disaster. Very poor effort. Got out skated, out hit, outmuscled and out scored. Really not impressed with our defence. Tansem and Desousza are not good. Shipley and Maliavin average at best. Not sold on Ravndahl yet. Elick and Mantei are OK. Very timid performance tonight. The Henry nay sayers may want to consider as the WK are very soft without him in the lineup. Was hoping for at least one good 18 yr old in the Danielson trade as I have seen very little from the 2 we got at least not so far. Certainly need more effort from the team in the next 2 games.
WK PP last in the league? Yikes! Whose responsibility is that? Sad very sad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad