Brandon Wheatkings 23/24

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Kamloops Blazers

Gone: Olen Zellweger, Ryan Hofer, Logan Stankoven, Ethan Brandwood, Caedan Bankier, Daylan Kuefler, Jakub Demek, Aapo Sarell.

Key returnee: Emmitt Finnie, Connor Levis, Fraser Minten, Shea Van Olm, Dylan Sydor, Logan Bairos, Ryan Michael, Harrison Brunicke, Dylan Ernst

Question Marks: Matthew Seminoff, Kyle Masters, Ashton Ferster

Rookies: Max Sullivan, Conner Radke, Andrew Thomson, Matteo Koci, Vochtek Vochvest, Jesse Sanche, Josh Kelly

I think Seminoff will be sent back, but will be traded to get draft capital back.

Lines

Finnie-Minten-Seminoff
Van Olm-Sydor-Levis
MacPherson-Tait-Behm
Sullivan-Pantelakis-Radke/Kelly

Bairos-Michael
Koci-Masters
Vochvest-Brunicke
Thomson

Ernst
Sanche

ol

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Kamloops Blazers

Gone: Olen Zellweger, Ryan Hofer, Logan Stankoven, Ethan Brandwood, Caedan Bankier, Daylan Kuefler, Jakub Demek, Aapo Sarell.

Key returnee: Emmitt Finnie, Connor Levis, Fraser Minten, Shea Van Olm, Dylan Sydor, Logan Bairos, Ryan Michael, Harrison Brunicke, Dylan Ernst

Question Marks: Matthew Seminoff, Kyle Masters, Ashton Ferster

Rookies: Max Sullivan, Conner Radke, Andrew Thomson, Matteo Koci, Vochtek Vochvest, Jesse Sanche, Josh Kelly

I think Seminoff will be sent back, but will be traded to get draft capital back.

Lines

Finnie-Minten-Seminoff
Van Olm-Sydor-Levis
MacPherson-Tait-Behm
Sullivan-Pantelakis-Radke/Kelly

Bairos-Michael
Koci-Masters
Vochvest-Brunicke
Thomson

Ernst
Sanche

ol
Geeze it's gonna be a challenging season for Kamloops I think... I would imagine they will look to move Minten Seminoff Levis Ernst later in season to start getting draft picks back from the trades last season. They desperately need to acquire future 1st round picks.

Hopefully those players have good seasons so their trade value is high when the deadline comes

It's always fun though to watch rebuilds happen.. and Kamloops has some good young pieces

Last edited:
Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Brandon Wheat Kings

Gone: Nolan Ritchie, Calder Anderson, Zakhar Polshakov, Logen Hammett (to Vancouver)
Rookies/Additions: Dominik Petr, Joby Baumuller, Carter Klippenstein

Forwards
11 returning forwards - could see some veterans pushed out
* Overager 20yrs old

Pasternak Danielson *Hyland
Roersma McQueen
Petr
Thornton Flamand Baumuller
Wilson Hadland Henry - Groening
Klippenstein

USA born: Owen Corkish and Reed Brown attending camp
Wildcard veterans attending camp: Tre Fouquette (PA) and Hayden Wheddon (CGY)

D
7 returnees

Malyavin Shipley
*Sadhra-Kang Mantei
Elick Mannix
Turner

Goaltenders
Bjarnasson
Jones

Be interesting to see what shakes out with camp getting underway and if they utilize their 3rd overage roster spot.

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
Brandon Wheat Kings

Gone: Nolan Ritchie, Calder Anderson, Zakhar Polshakov, Logen Hammett (to Vancouver)
Rookies/Additions: Dominik Petr, Joby Baumuller, Carter Klippenstein

Forwards
11 returning forwards - could see some veterans pushed out
* Overager 20yrs old

Pasternak Danielson *Hyland
Roersma McQueen
Petr
Thornton Flamand Baumuller
Wilson Hadland Henry - Groening
Klippenstein

USA born: Owen Corkish and Reed Brown attending camp
Wildcard veterans attending camp: Tre Fouquette (PA) and Hayden Wheddon (CGY)

D
7 returnees

Malyavin Shipley
*Sadhra-Kang Mantei
Elick Mannix
Turner

Goaltenders
Bjarnasson
Jones

Be interesting to see what shakes out with camp getting underway and if they utilize their 3rd overage roster spot.
Henry has hung up his skates and will not be in Brandon or WHL this year. I think we may see Mannix and Turner be sent walking.

I didn't see any of the games this weekend, But think they will allow Hope and Clark may stand better chances as rookie D men. I may very well be wrong. And mentioned above Fouquette may make the decision tougher. We only have one other 19 yr old D man on the list.

As for forwards I think Baumuller is a solid for sure. Klippenstein seems to have won at the very least preseason games.

Petr will get a lot of ice time to get him acclimated to NA rinks and Canadian game. I see Wilson, Hadland and Klippenstein brought their A game to camp thus far.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Henry has hung up his skates and will not be in Brandon or WHL this year. I think we may see Mannix and Turner be sent walking.

I didn't see any of the games this weekend, But think they will allow Hope and Clark may stand better chances as rookie D men. I may very well be wrong. And mentioned above Fouquette may make the decision tougher. We only have one other 19 yr old D man on the list.

As for forwards I think Baumuller is a solid for sure. Klippenstein seems to have won at the very least preseason games.

Petr will get a lot of ice time to get him acclimated to NA rinks and Canadian game. I see Wilson, Hadland and Klippenstein brought their A game to camp thus far.
Thanks for clarifying on Henry - I was under the impression he was trucking over the summer and not attending camp but would still be playing this year. Bit of a shame and have to admit I'm a bit gutted as he was sure fun to watch on a very small and soft team last year.

I agree with your assessment on the backend, both Mannix and Turner are replaceable/upgradable for sure - I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in a vet there.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Thanks for clarifying on Henry - I was under the impression he was trucking over the summer and not attending camp but would still be playing this year. Bit of a shame and have to admit I'm a bit gutted as he was sure fun to watch on a very small and soft team last year.

I agree with your assessment on the backend, both Mannix and Turner are replaceable/upgradable for sure - I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in a vet there.

Just looking at the pre season roster I would say the Roster would look like

Pasternak/Danielson/Hyland
McQueen/Petr/Roersma
Thornton/Flamand/Baumiller
Wilson/Wheddon/Klippenstein
Hadland/Odut

It seems like Petr is going to be a center or at least that is his position of choice. I can actually see them running 3 centers of Danielson/Petr/McQueen as well. Klipper and Hadland were standouts at the training camp and both are pretty dogged types of players that we are missing I think. Wilson looked like a star at camp as well. I think Weddon makes it as well but I wouldn't be suprised if Hadland starts as the 4th center. That top line should be incredibly deadly this year

Malyavin/Elick
Shadra-Kang/Shipley
Fouquette/Clark or Hope

Bjarnson
Eskit

I can't see them bringing back Mannix or Turner on D. Both are voids on offense and neither are overly physical. They would have to step it up over the younger guys in Exhibition. I think Fouquette makes it being a right handed shot.

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023

McQueen/Petr/Roersma
Hadland/Odut

It seems like Petr is going to be a center or at least that is his position of choice. I can actually see them running 3 centers of Danielson/Petr/McQueen as well. Klipper and Hadland were standouts at the training camp and both are pretty dogged types of players that we are missing I think. Wilson looked like a star at camp as well. I think Weddon makes it as well but I wouldn't be suprised if Hadland starts as the 4th center. That top line should be incredibly deadly this year

Malyavin/Elick
Shadra-Kang/Shipley
Fouquette/Clark or Hope

Bjarnson
Eskit

I can't see them bringing back Mannix or Turner on D. Both are voids on offense and neither are overly physical. They would have to step it up over the younger guys in Exhibition. I think Fouquette makes it being a right handed shot.
I agree on the D. Can't see how you keep Turner and Mannix I think there ceiling is pretty low. I also think either Groening or Thorton will be gone to keep another young guy. Thorton can't stay healthy. I thought Binder-Nord would get a long look. Must not have wanted to sign.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Far too many defencemen on WK pre season list. Coaches must not be convinced about Mannix and Turner. Thought Lambert might get a longer look unless he did not want to sign. Not sure about the grit on this team without Henry.

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
Far too many defencemen on WK pre season list. Coaches must not be convinced about Mannix and Turner. Thought Lambert might get a longer look unless he did not want to sign. Not sure about the grit on this team without Henry.
My opinion is how much Grit did Henry bring other then fighting. He was a liability on the ice. He was a big hitter. They need to find a Perepeluk type where the other team has there head up all game. Now I will admit Henry was the toughest Guy in the league. As much as it pains me to say it the CHL is going to get rid of fighting all together. It will be a sad day when that happens.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
I have to believe there is a fairly large segment of WHL fans that are not real happy with how junior hockey is starting to resemble figure skating with the physicality being taken out of the game. Add to that the terribly inconsistent reffing in the league and some fans are being turned off. In addition it has been an effort to get some fans back into the buildings post Covid except for Bedard mania last season.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
I have to believe there is a fairly large segment of WHL fans that are not real happy with how junior hockey is starting to resemble figure skating with the physicality being taken out of the game. Add to that the terribly inconsistent reffing in the league and some fans are being turned off. In addition it has been an effort to get some fans back into the buildings post Covid except for Bedard mania last season.
The league has enough legal woes and bad off ice press as it is. The writing is on the wall. Kids fighting kids is a bad look and a class action lawyers wet dream. The staged fighting , fighting after a clean hit are non starters for me, good to clean that up. The CHL is following the smart money. These kids skate way faster than 50 yrs ago and the real legit body armor they wear means serious injuries and concussions.
Figure skating? Know your history :

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Hello Friend you will not convince me that you kumbaya lovers believe Junior hockey is better without the physicality and the odd scrap. Yes it is faster— but better—debatable.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Who said without the physicality? Your typical scrap is 20 seconds of holding on to the other guys jersey and trying to avoid hitting HARD plastic. A big clean hit will get a bigger crowd POP than a lazy fight. Yes cheap players MUST be held accountable. I rather see that player get creamed with a hit than the designated tough guys unrelated to said player go at it.

Better play? Look at the stats from 40-50 yrs ago. 8-6, 10- 7 , 12- 4 scores. 300 PIM players. They played in old civic arenas. This is big business. National sponsors. The league(s) worst nightmare is a scrap where a helmet comes off and head hits the ice and kid dies. Happened in ONT senior league. Fifth Estate did great story on it. Chasing the news after the fact is a bad look. Lawyers are watching.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The staged fighting is gone and good riddance I say. As someone who used to have to do that to stay in Junior, I am glad they did away with it. Spontaneous fighting is fine.

Anyways the Wheaties won last night in Regina 1 to 0 with Hadland picking up the only goal and Jones throwing a shutout. They played with 11 forwards too. The big issue they had last year was outside when Danielson was on the ice they couldn't score so they need to find some depth scoring to be considered a contender.

Reactions: kneelworm

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
WK won in OT on Sat. Having difficulty scoring goals although some of their main scorerers out of the lineup. Secondary scoring needs to improve. Scored 3 goals in 2 games. Won’t win many games like this.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Need to fix my guesses

Van Olm-Minten-Levis
Behm-Finnie-Ferster
Sullivan-Sydor-Tait
Pantelakis-MacPherson-Ridgewell-Kelly
B.Minten, Closson, Radke

Bairos-Brunicke
Michael-Ryan
Koci-Vochvest
Guram

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
My guess at Victoria Royals:

Scott-Reschny-Newman
Haugen Evensen-Sapousek-Hodson
Kinniburgh-Schuurman-Dereniwsky
Chaloner-Lane-Trembecky

Kipke-Laroque
Misskey-Parker
Zemlack-Fryer

Holt
Kraus

Extra: Edwards, Bjornson

Lines are highly variable, really any player could be anywhere, depending on how they play this year. I'd say Reschny is the most likely to be a top-6 lock.

Last edited:

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017

McQueen/Petr/Roersma
Hadland/Odut

Malyavin/Elick
Shadra-Kang/Shipley
Fouquette/Clark or Hope

Bjarnson
Eskit

I'm not sold on Thornton either. I know he has been injured mostly with his time as a WK. When healthy he just give me that wow factor. Unfortunately he is always behind coming back from injury. Wilson will have a good year if he continues his play from Camp. I'm not sold on Flamand either.

As for our D... Elick needs to make a huge step forward with now using his body a lot more. Especially if he wants to move up the prospect list for next years NHL draft.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
You guys are nuts if you think junior hockey isn't physical. These kids don't need to drop their gloves to get physical. What are you, barbarians? The game has never been more skilled than it is now.
I don't want to derail the thread but in the majority of games I've watched over the past handful of years, you're lucky to see a couple hits a game. I don't need to see tilts every game just some meat and compete.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You guys are nuts if you think junior hockey isn't physical. These kids don't need to drop their gloves to get physical. What are you, barbarians? The game has never been more skilled than it is now.
The league isn't physical anymore and it's very easy to see when watching games. It's a skilled game now which is actually very entertaining to watch.

Majority of games have maybe only a handful of solid hard hits now... but also having said that, usually the refs arm goes up instantly whenever there is a decent hit so I don't blame the players for not finishing their checks much

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Don’t see Thornton on the WK roster. Team must have finally given up on him or he himself went home. Jacobson looks like he can play with the team this year. He does not turn 15 until November or December. Would like to see McQueen pick it up

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Wonder what the WK will do for their backup goalie. Both guys have been very good while Bjarnson is at NHL camp. Keep Jones and send Eskit somewhere where he plays a lot as he would be back next year with the WK as an 18 yr old. Jones is 19 this year so would not likely be back as Bjarnson has 2 years left.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Wheatkings reassigned Hope and Clark today. Leaving them with 8 D on the roster. I expect them to carry 8 through the season

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If no one objects I was going to make this a Wheat King thread. Seems like we got a few WheatKing fans from other boards on here now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad