Brandon Wheatkings 23/24

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
So if the rumour of Brandon unloading Danielson is true. Then where do they go from here? Better question when will it quit being building for the future and making a splash. This team is good enough to push any of these East Division Teams. Yet we're still building for the future. Moose Jaw made a splash the year they got Clague. Yet here we are still selling and there loading up again. Now I realize the scouting staff did a brutal job for 4 years in the draft hence why there still weak in areas. I think Moulton is doing a far better job of that end, I just don't get how they waste assets year in and year out. Scared to make a splash.
It is painfully obvious that the owner is going to do everything he possibly can to build the team around his kid. So if I'm a Wheat Kings fan, I'd expect two more years of middling/building, and then really making a push in the 2026-27 and 27-28 seasons.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
I doubt the WK trade Danielson. Kirmel is right. This team can play with all the teams except Saskatoon now the Suzdelev sp. Is coming to the Blades and probably MJ.Not sure what they would accomplish with the trade unless the last poster is right in his assessment of the team peaking during Jaxon Jacobsen’s 18 and 19 yr old seasons So will try to improve prospect pool after some really crappy drafting. Not sure what MJ will do prior to the trade deadline. I am kind of on the fence as to what the team should do at the deadline. Go or no. Not sure what the long range plan is. The team should be strong next year losing only Danielson and Hyland that really hurts. Roeresma will be back as an OA not sure any of the other 19 s are good enough to keep.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
I think they should trade Danielson. face it we can't beat the likes of sack or mj the way they have been stacking up. Heck trade Barney and you will get a truck load. the later trade more then likely will not happen.

We are in trouble on our back end. DeSouza is a body. We are in trouble moving forward on our Defensive corp moving forward.

Plus I am going to go on a limb to say Jacobson will want his team flourishing while his little boy is a full time WHL player. If they can bring in a good 18 yr old that can score an potentially play alongside Jax I can see that happening.

face it Jared has spent thousands of dollars for Jax to develop.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I think they should trade Danielson. face it we can't beat the likes of sack or mj the way they have been stacking up. Heck trade Barney and you will get a truck load. the later trade more then likely will not happen.

We are in trouble on our back end. DeSouza is a body. We are in trouble moving forward on our Defensive corp moving forward.

Plus I am going to go on a limb to say Jacobson will want his team flourishing while his little boy is a full time WHL player. If they can bring in a good 18 yr old that can score an potentially play alongside Jax I can see that happening.

face it Jared has spent thousands of dollars for Jax to develop.

It makes sense to develop the team along with Jacobson. Brandon lacks the horses to make a serious push right now. Cash in the chips on the old guard with a couple of trades, suffer through a couple of lean years and they could make a real push in a few years when Jacobson is at his peak. It's not the worst idea.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Molsonman is correct in saying our back end other than Mantei and Elick is going to be questionable next year. I do not see any real top end prospects here on the team’s list. Barring a trade or drafting a top end import defence could be a real concern next year. I would not bring Shipley or Malawian back as OA.
Yes do not think WK have enough to go too far this year trying to get through Saskatoon who are throwing all their chips in. MJ may not be done either as they lose a lot this year and may want to take a serious run while they have Mateychuck, Firkus, Calvert, and maybe even Yager. I know some fans will be disappointed in the continual retool but some very questionable drafting for a few years has left the short on high end talent.

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
I don't disagree on any of these points. But if you are going to sell your most valuable parts you need to flip those for younger players. Enough of hoarding picks. Need to start building this thing up. Cause if they don't soon, their crowds keep going to get smaller and smaller. 30 dollars a ticket is a tough sell in this economy if you know they're going to mail it in every year. If you you trade Danielson i would like them go spend and get a good 18 year old Dman. If Jacobson didnt own the team they would be buying for sure. I guess we will see in the next 8 days.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Totally agree with you Kirmel. We need an asset back to help now and next year or two. It needs to be a defenceman also. Which teams would be buying this year? Saskatoon may be done. MJ probably not. MH and PG maybe. Portland and Victoria maybe? Hope we try to something at least.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
The more posts I read the more convinced I am that the team is postering to set up their best teams when Jaxon Jacobson is 17 to 19 in other words 2 years from now and forward. They have an asset in Danielson that will not be back next year, that could fetch them building blocks for the future. With their goaltending and returning players this team should be competitive next year.

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
Sounds like Moose Jaw, Swift have made their big moves. Who is left to go all in? PG has lots of picks still. Maybe Portland. Not sure who else would make a move on Danielson. Who else would Marty be willing to trade that i am not sure. I think if you did move Danielson and kept everybody else and maybe add a younger piece to build for the next year or two i think this roster if nothing more could scare some of the top teams in the playoffs.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Realistically we know that beating MJ or Saskatoon with team is highly unlikely. Given that then trading Danielson makes sense providing the right package comes back in return.Not sure what the value of Danielson is. I will bet the MM is listening to offers for Danielson but from who? There can’t be too many teams willing to pony up for him knowing it might take a number of pieces to make it happen
I guess what I am trying to say is what is his value if only 1 or 2 teams are interested.

Last edited:

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
Well i guess we will see what the package for Geekie is first. Looks like Fluker is going the other way so if you can find a young D to come back that would be good.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
You are saying Geekie headed to Swift Current?? Do SC think they can get by MJ or Saskatoon.?

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
I don't understand the trade for swift. I don't think they were as good as Brandon honestly.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Swifty is also bringing in the Big Czech D coming in after the world juniors but one of those 3 teams Saskatoon/MJ/Swifty won't make and they all gave up a lot.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
SC and MJ are certainly not sitting still because most of there key guys will be gone next year so they are rolling the dice and see what happens. Geekie to SC and Savoie to MJ. Wowser! What this means for the WK I guess is stand pat as they lack the team to compete with those 2 as well as Saskatoon. Could trade Danielson for defensive help except it does look like many teams left in the running that would trade for him

Kirmel

Sep 6, 2023
SC and MJ are certainly not sitting still because most of there key guys will be gone next year so they are rolling the dice and see what happens. Geekie to SC and Savoie to MJ. Wowser! What this means for the WK I guess is stand pat as they lack the team to compete with those 2 as well as Saskatoon. Could trade Danielson for defensive help except it does look like many teams left in the running that would trade for him
PG has alot of picks left.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Would be a good pickup. Not sure PG would do that but will depend on their prospect pool.Do they really need Danielson??

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
SC did give up a lot for a rental in Geekie who will be playing pro next year. I thought Fluker looked like a good defenceman. Spitballing here but could Red Deer be a possible destination for Danielson. He’s a local kid and he’s just what they need—a good offensive player.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
SC did give up a lot for a rental in Geekie who will be playing pro next year. I thought Fluker looked like a good defenceman. Spitballing here but could Red Deer be a possible destination for Danielson. He’s a local kid and he’s just what they need—a good offensive player.
Be a good story but doubtful Red Deer makes a move like that I would think. There's also Honzek with Van - Not sure if he'll be on the move as well, but I would assume that's a strong possibility.

Seems like the most probable buyers would be PG and Portland, will be interesting to see how things shake out here. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around Swift picking up Geekie, quite the gamble there.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Seems like the most probable buyers would be PG and Portland, will be interesting to see how things shake out here. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around Swift picking up Geekie, quite the gamble there.
Not sure what their draft pick situation is but SC must be swimming in draft capital if they can afford to throw a bunch of picks and prospects on what is a bit of a long shot playoff run. Mind you, it helps that they basically had Jakub Dvorak (LA Kings second rounder) basically fall out of the sky too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad