Brandon sutter undergoes surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
If the Canucks ever get a 2nd line behind the Sedins, Sutter will be an excellent 3rd line center. Like what we had with Malholtra.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
A 6 year, 4.3 million "stop gap" with a retroactive NTC? :amazed:

Stop gap for the 2nd C position to be the 3rd line C when Horvat was ready. And, yeah, the price tag is a little steep for a 3rd line C.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Gillis left plenty of options both down the middle and on the backend. Richardson, Santorelli, Matthias, Garrison, Stanton etc. Furthermore, Benning had ample opportunity to get better centres and defensemen, but chose not to. Getting guys like Prust, Dorsett, Miller, Sbisa, Sutter, Vey Baertschi all hurt our centre and defensive depth,.
Hm. While I know +- and points isn't the be-all and end all - AND it's not a full season sample size, let's see how these woefully under appreciated former Canuck superstars are doing now:
  • Shawn Matthias - 25 GP, 7 PTS, -4
  • Mike Santorelli - 25 GP, 5 PTS, -7
  • Brad Richardson - 26 GP, 7 PTS, -6
  • Hell, let's throw in Bonino too. - 23 GP, 5 PTS, -1
..and just for fun.. let's see how their replacements are doing:
  • Jared McCann - 25 GP, 9 PTS, +6
  • Brandon Sutter - 18 GP, 8 PTS, +4
  • Adam Cracknell - 18 GP, 4 PTS, +2
  • Brandon Prust - 16 GP, 5 Pts, +1
... it's weird, I see more points in fewer games.. and for some reason I only see pluses on the replacements.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A 6 year, 4.3 million "stop gap" with a retroactive NTC? :amazed:

Yep, Sutter is supposedly a 'foundational piece'....but at $4.3m per for the next six seasons, it's the foundation of the salary cap plan that will be built on quick-sand.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
4.3mil for a decent veteran player is the going rate these days. 5 years ago it would be massive over payment but the NHL salary cap way up (and will continue to go up?).

If you are spending 4 mil on a top 6 player, you are going to get a gamble player like Alexander Semin maybe?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
4.3mil for a decent veteran player is the going rate these days. 5 years ago it would be massive over payment but the NHL salary cap way up (and will continue to go up?).

If you are spending 4 mil on a top 6 player, you are going to get a gamble player like Alexander Semin maybe?

Semin was a 1M gamble, not 4M

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
In 5 years, Sutter will be part of a contending Canucks team, anchoring a very important fourth line.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
In 5 years, Sutter will be part of a contending Canucks team, anchoring a very important fourth line.

I don't know, players like him, once they lose their biggest asset (skating) tend to fall of a cliff. My fear would be he loses that early.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Seriously?

You just listed 3 journeymen ...Richardson, Santorelli, Matthias. 3 journeymen who will continue to bounce around the league on short term contracts on 4th lines....You just claimed those 3 middling depth centres as good depth behind Henrik Sedin....this after Gillis had been in the GM chair for 6 years.

Not sure what to say.

You missed my point entirely. These were all guys who filled good roles here and performed well here. Having extra proven NHL centres is a must. Cracknell and Vey just don't cut it, depsite Cracknell surprising at camp.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I don't know, players like him, once they lose their biggest asset (skating) tend to fall of a cliff. My fear would be he loses that early.

my comment was mostly tongue in cheek: he'll amount to an expensive, unmoveable fourth liner, nothing more. by the time having him actually matters, bo or mccann or whoever will be the guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad