Brandon sutter undergoes surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Basically kills any hope for the playoffs, as slim as they were.

Unfortunate.

Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a lot more injuries for Sutter, if he loses his speed he will be very ineffective player.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Why did it take so long for him to have surgery? He was on the shelf for weeks already

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Oh look an excuse for Benning when we miss the playoffs this year, since this 'foundational player' is out. Doubt it gets him fired like Gillis despite the injuries that plagued the Tortorella year.

Sucks for Sutter though, hope he recovers nicely and can come back soon. Are sports hernia's pretty trivial? Like it won't affect his career really right? I'd assume no but I'm not sure.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a lot more injuries for Sutter, if he loses his speed he will be very ineffective player.

Pretty good example of why signing an extension as early as possible can be very good insurance for a player.

Kind of funny how it always seems to work for the Canucks though. Sutter had missed 3 games combined in the last 5 seasons and now he's out for almost 2 months 16 games into his time in Vancouver.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Brutal developement. Canucks have been much worse without him. This should ensure further collapse. Canucks only had a chance if they stayed really healthy, that faint hope is lost, now.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Basically kills any hope for the playoffs, as slim as they were.

Unfortunate.

Brandon Sutter was not going to be the difference between us making the playoffs or not. Unlike what Benning may think, he's not a foundational player. He's an average 3C who brings good speed.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Brandon Sutter was not going to be the difference between us making the playoffs or not. Unlike what Benning may think, he's not a foundational player. He's an average 3C who brings good speed.

Agreed. The main reason I think this will hurt the team is because we dont have good centre depth as is, but he certainly was not the difference between making the playoffs or not.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I agree. Having him as a 2C takes the pressure off of Horvat to play as a shutdown center (which he has been failing miserably at)

Not at all. Sutter is a terrible option at 2C. He was used in that role though, and deployed as an offensive 2C while Horvat was saddled with defensive zone deployment. Nothing changes, right?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Imagine how much cheaper we could have signed Sutter if we waited until he actually played for us. Hopefully this injury doesn't affect his speed long term.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Wish him all the best in a speedy recovery. Hopefully this isn't the start of it. Those injuries never seem to heal and players are never the same.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Wish him all the best in a speedy recovery. Hopefully this isn't the start of it. Those injuries never seem to heal and players are never the same.

I'm not familiar with sports hernias are they tough to come back from? I know getzlaf had one last playoffs

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not familiar with sports hernias are they tough to come back from? I know getzlaf had one last playoffs

Sports hernias are terrible. The only saving grace here is that he opted for surgery instead of playing through it. We won't know how it will effect his game until he's back. A lot of players never fully recover from them and play through pain the rest of their careers.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

I just had one a few months ago. From first hand experience...

First day after was pretty rough. Every day after that, for the first week, got exponentially better each day. Felt pretty much ok after the first week. After the month, felt really good.

4 to 6 weeks is about right. I got mine on a Thursday, and was working on the Monday after (on a computer, standing up... because sitting in a chair was a *****). They told me if I worked in physical labour or do heavy lifting, don't go back to work for 6 weeks.

Few months later, I feel great. No pain at all. I'm fully recovered... better than ever. And I do some pretty active things. How will it affect Sutter's performance as a professional athlete at the highest level of hockey? I don't know. Hopefully it can turn him into a 2nd line center.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He's downright disrespected on these boards.

But we're talking about a group of fans that can be derogatory towards the Sedins after all they've done for this city and team so nothing is really surprising.

A group of fans? You mean the Pauser and only him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad