Brandon sutter undergoes surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Well 2 posters were clearly outed in this thread so that's more than one already...

Go read the Sedin threads from the summer and report back to me. Read a game day thread where they struggle and we lose and report back to me.

Sutter being disrespected on these boards is a matter of personal opinion. You yourself have ridiculed his upbringing as soft and the name of his home town a misnomer. Something along the lines of how 'it is funny that people think he is tough because he is from a farm in Viking Alberta, yet he was raised in posh surroundings in major cities.' To me that is disrespect. You don't know Brandon Sutter or how he grew up. But again, that is a matter of personal opinion. Some may read what posters say as simple fans having fun, I see it as disrespect when you cross lines into their upbringing, their personal life etc.

Honestly, I am just riled up over some crap that was said to my buddy, that plays in the NHL, by some fans recently. Just makes me sick. These are people. They're not garbage or trash or whatever else goof ball fans want to call them from their mom's basement.

Reign you got it all wrong these aren't people there assets

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Again it is disrespectful. You don't know Brandon. You don't know if his life was easy or hard. Or if his life had any impact on his game whatsoever. Making assumptions about his personal life to fit your agenda to me is disrespectful. There's no debate here. People have disrespected Sutter. And this is just one example, people have been super hard on him since the trade was announced. It's not a big deal, fans do it constantly in every sport. But there's no debating he's been disrespected by Canucks fans on this board.
It is the precise opposite of what you're saying -- it is questioning the default assumptions made about him specifically because they don't take his actual circumstances into account.

And a lot of us, including me, weren't impressed by the trade, and are skeptical of Benning's vision for him, which is a separate issue.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Maybe this wouldn't be the case if people didn't suggest he was a gritty, goal scoring C who was elite defensively. People assumed he would be a certain type of player because of his last name. He does not play the same style that the previous generation of Sutters played. I don't see how that is disrespectful at all.

See I didn't see this at all. I just saw a bunch of posters saying he's soft, Pittsburgh fans weren't saying he was gritty, Canucks fans weren't saying he was gritty. Who exactly was saying he was gritty and needed to be corrected? Because Nick Kypreos or John Garrett or something? I don't even listen to those guys so I couldn't tell you.

Anyway, that was just one example from the poster that called me out saying there was no one disrespecting Sutter. There's been plenty more said about him that was a lot worse.

There's no debate here. Pretty sure if Brandon himself read the threads dedicated to him he'd find them disrespectful (some of them do by the way, but mostly to laugh). That's the way I look at it. Again, it's likely because I've spend time with several of these guys through work and I can see it from their perspective a bit more and it bothers me when fans spout off so much.

Anyway, this has gone far enough. Bowing out of this thread.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
See I didn't see this at all. I just saw a bunch of posters saying he's soft, Pittsburgh fans weren't saying he was gritty, Canucks fans weren't saying he was gritty. Who exactly was saying he was gritty and needed to be corrected? Because Nick Kypreos or John Garrett or something? I don't even listen to those guys so I couldn't tell you.

Anyway, that was just one example from the poster that called me out saying there was no one disrespecting Sutter. There's been plenty more said about him that was a lot worse.

There's no debate here. Pretty sure if Brandon himself read the threads dedicated to him he'd find them disrespectful (some of them do by the way, but mostly to laugh). That's the way I look at it. Again, it's likely because I've spend time with several of these guys through work and I can see it from their perspective a bit more and it bothers me when fans spout off so much.

We are talking about his qualities as a player. He plays soft, how else do you want to describe it. Would saying, "he doesn't engage enough physically, or he is easily beaten on the boards, he doesn't like to go to the hard areas as much" make it better?

Nothing is personal, I don't think anyone has describe how he is as a person, just his qualities as a player.

If what you say is true, then we shouldn't talk about any players on these boards because it will end up having some critical component that relates to on ice performance and that is disrespectful right?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well 2 posters were clearly outed in this thread so that's more than one already...

Go read the Sedin threads from the summer and report back to me. Read a game day thread where they struggle and we lose and report back to me.

Sutter being disrespected on these boards is a matter of personal opinion. You yourself have ridiculed his upbringing as soft and the name of his home town a misnomer. Something along the lines of how 'it is funny that people think he is tough because he is from a farm in Viking Alberta, yet he was raised in posh surroundings in major cities.' To me that is disrespect. You don't know Brandon Sutter or how he grew up. But again, that is a matter of personal opinion. Some may read what posters say as simple fans having fun, I see it as disrespect when you cross lines into their upbringing, their personal life etc.

Honestly, I am just riled up over some crap that was said to my buddy, that plays in the NHL, by some fans recently. Just makes me sick. These are people. They're not garbage or trash or whatever else goof ball fans want to call them from their mom's basement.

Yes. And that is disrespectful as far as I am concerned.

Again, it's personal opinion and not everyone is going to see it that way. I've met several players and perhaps those kinds of comments just bother me more. These "soft players" are far from it in person usual and some could crush your skull with their bare hands and worked harder than you can imagine to get where they are. Bouwmeester comes to mind. I wouldn't let my worst enemy fight him in person, yet fans consider him a wimp.

Well, obviously everything is relative. Radim Vrbata is a 'soft' player but the guy is still a chiseled 200 lb. jock who could probably kick the crap out of everyone posting here.

Nobody insulted or disrespected Sutter. The guy is a soft-ish NHL player. It just is what it is. And it's perfectly fair, when people are discussing his virtues as though he grew up on the farm in Viking, to mention that actually he mainly grew in in New York and Chicago with millionaire parents. That isn't to say he doesn't work hard, but there has been nothing - ever - to suggest that he has the stereotypical Sutter 'jam' over the 10 years I've been following him back to junior.

It is the precise opposite of what you're saying -- it is questioning the default assumptions made about him specifically because they don't take his actual circumstances into account.

Exactly.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

hed probably go "wow. classless. dishonorable. disrespectful. classless. classless" like all the boring hockey robots do

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Why did it take so long for him to have surgery? He was on the shelf for weeks already

Yeah its really weird considering its a hernia, which really don't heal themselves.

I'm set to have the same operation in ~January~ (tentative, could be pushed back) though and I've already been on the list for 8 months. Not that it would be the same at all for a team with private doctors and the like, I know that cancer patients/emergencies/the like will always take precedence.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i looked this up i think a week ago because i was confused as well and it seems more and more medicine is defaulting to not do immediate surgery on a sports hernia

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What the hell did I just read? Sutter being disrespected because he's being called "soft" and "not gritty"? Did I read this right?

Having Sutter is a big loss...for Bo Horvat. Now Bo has to go with the tough minutes he has been taking, and will continue to struggle. Wish we had Richardson still.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yes. And that is disrespectful as far as I am concerned.

Again, it's personal opinion and not everyone is going to see it that way. I've met several players and perhaps those kinds of comments just bother me more. These "soft players" are far from it in person usual and some could crush your skull with their bare hands and worked harder than you can imagine to get where they are. Bouwmeester comes to mind. I wouldn't let my worst enemy fight him in person, yet fans consider him a wimp.

I couldn't be any more confused with what you are trying to say. No one is calling any NHL player a soft human being, or a not gritty human being...compared to their peers, they are soft hockey players because they don't engage physically, or look to avoid physical play. How is this personal or have anything to do with their family, upbringing or whatever else? :confused:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Letting Richardson walk is looking awful right now, wouldn't be the best option but could relieve Bo of some shut down duties and help the PK

Do Hope Sutters back soon though, what we've been watching hasn't been fun

I think everyone thought Horvat would be better. With Sutter no need for Richardson. With him McCann likely is not on the team. At some point you have to let guys like Richardson Mathias walk so young players can play. if Horvat was playing like he did at the end of last year this team would be at the level of last years team. Bo has been the most diappointing player this year Sutter by comparison to Bo is an elite 2nd line center. Bo this year sucks on the PK and pp. He is 20 so great things are in his future.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I said this in the Sutter thread, but some people need to stop reading so much into constructive criticism. We do miss Sutter. Not sure I am too upset, as a large part of me wants us to sink in the standings. But I large part of me is also competitive and doesn't like losing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Virtually identical to the Marshawn Lynch situation for football fans. Was day-to-day for awhile and then eventually had surgery.

Anyways, he will be missed.

I find it hard to criticize the Canucks depth on this one. Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, and McCann is fine. Center is the least of the team's problems.. but injuries happen.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Virtually identical to the Marshawn Lynch situation for football fans. Was day-to-day for awhile and then eventually had surgery.

Anyways, he will be missed.

I find it hard to criticize the Canucks depth on this one. Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, and McCann is fine. Center is the least of the team's problems.. but injuries happen.

What we're lacking are the versatile players that can shift from W to C and back. When you have a team who's starting lineup is 4 pure centers and 8 pure wingers then there's a big risk to have your depth crippled by a single injury. This isn't the place to criticize players gained or loss, but just for example if we had Matthias and Richardson in place of Prust and Dorsett starting on LW/RW then we'd be feeling the Sutter injury a whole lot less right now.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I said this in the Sutter thread, but some people need to stop reading so much into constructive criticism. We do miss Sutter. Not sure I am too upset, as a large part of me wants us to sink in the standings. But I large part of me is also competitive and doesn't like losing.
ROFL :laugh: you're honestly trying to call this summers Sutter threads "constructive criticism" ? Those threads were embarrassing how some posters inflated Sutters negatives to the point of such sheer exaggeration you couldn't take these posters seriously any more.

I'm personally glad to see the same posters doubling down, it was hilarious this summer to hear them quote all the "knowledgable and respected" Penguins posters then and it's even funnier now :laugh:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
ROFL :laugh: you're honestly trying to call this summers Sutter threads "constructive criticism" ? Those threads were embarrassing how some posters inflated Sutters negatives to the point of such sheer exaggeration you couldn't take these posters seriously any more.

I'm personally glad to see the same posters doubling down, it was hilarious this summer to hear them quote all the "knowledgable and respected" Penguins posters then and it's even funnier now :laugh:

So in the offseason, we harped on this trade because none of us believed he is going to be a good 2nd liner because he has never put up good 2nd line numbers.
So what have we seen so far.

He doesn't play the hardest minutes. He PKs well and that is pretty much it. Most of his points are generated when he was with twins. Once they moved him out of there, whatever line he centers is a blackhole offensively.

So we replaced Bonino, who was producing fine at ES with us playing tough minutes, with a guy who doesn't produce jack **** at ES playing soft minutes. And somehow we expanded more assets and capspace to make that happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad