Brandon Prust's post game comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Once again. The Watson verbal beatdown was 13 minutes into the game. Prust had 3 shifts and committed what could generously be called a borderline roughing penalty. And he told the ref it was a "soft" call. That's it. Find me a penalty when the guilty party doesn't say something similar to the ref that calls it. Find me another instance where the ref then chases a guy into the box with a pointy finger and loses it.

If Watson was pre-emptively punishing him for what might happen 2 periods later when the game was out of reach then he's some sort of miracle worker.

If Watson was unfairly giving an extra 2 because the name "PRUST" was on the back of a jersey then the league has a serious problem. That sort of crap shouldn't happen. What Prust did 2 years ago or 3 nights earlier is not supposed to matter. There's no rule saying 2 min unsportsmanlike applies to a guy if a ref feels that guy is an idiot or he doesn't like him.

Exactly.

And yet we are to believe Prust when he says all he did was say it was a "soft call" and "yeah ok".

Valid questions to ask:

1) Does Brad Watson have a reputation as a hot head or "god complex" ref?

Not to my knowledge, but what say you?

2) If Brad Watson doesn't have a history of that sort of behavior, why would he choose that exact moment to snap?

IMO, the answer is he wouldn't without good reason or cause.

3) Does Brandon Prust show good judgement?

I think you can make the argument that several times in the past he has not, and regardless of what happened the other night calling out a ref in the middle of a playoff series shows a lack of control, lack of intelligence, or more likely both.

4) Given the evidence that suggests the answer to Number 3 is "NO" -- why should I take as fact his one sided take on an extremely rare and extremely odd occurrence?

Bottom line --- if i were a betting man, my bet would be that Prust said something asinine and was probably lucky not to get tossed altogether.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Montreal fans will argue everything and anything.

Or they try to stick up for their players when a bunch of Bruins, Sens, Leafs, and Lightening fans pile up on them. Most here are not objective and it shows....

I have no problem with what Prust did, it can't get any worse for the Habs with respect to reffing, at least he is showing a pulse unlike the rest of them.

Anyway, all this shows to me is the NHL is the worst run organization when it comes to officiating. At least the NBA tries to protect their stars and maybe even be biased in favor of them (Lebron). I'll take that rather than the BS every NHL team has to deal with night in night out.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Or they try to stick up for their players when a bunch of Bruins, Sens, Leafs, and Lightening fans pile up on them. Most here are not objective and it shows....

I have no problem with what Prust did, it can't get any worse for the Habs with respect to reffing, at least he is showing a pulse unlike the rest of them.

Anyway, all this shows to me is the NHL is the worst run organization when it comes to officiating. At least the NBA tries to protect their stars and maybe even be biased in favor of them (Lebron). I'll take that rather than the BS every NHL team has to deal with night in night out.

I hate the way the NBA favors the stars, it's a lousy product IMO.

Jerk Store*

Yet you had no issue with the officiating in the first round. The double standards in Montreal... Unbelievable.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Exactly.

And yet we are to believe Prust when he says all he did was say it was a "soft call" and "yeah ok".

Valid questions to ask:

1) Does Brad Watson have a reputation as a hot head or "god complex" ref?

Not to my knowledge, but what say you?

2) If Brad Watson doesn't have a history of that sort of behavior, why would he choose that exact moment to snap?

IMO, the answer is he wouldn't without good reason or cause.

3) Does Brandon Prust show good judgement?

I think you can make the argument that several times in the past he has not, and regardless of what happened the other night calling out a ref in the middle of a playoff series shows a lack of control, lack of intelligence, or more likely both.

4) Given the evidence that suggests the answer to Number 3 is "NO" -- why should I take as fact his one sided take on an extremely rare and extremely odd occurrence?

Bottom line --- if i were a betting man, my bet would be that Prust said something asinine and was probably lucky not to get tossed altogether.

I know, I know. A prostitute never has good eyesight. We should instantly discredit everything someone says unless that person has a wonderful angelic track record, and has never showed poor judgment, right? Always easier to discredit the witness and ignore the complaint than to actually deal with the "what if he's telling the truth?" aspect.

I don't know if Watson has a history of this type of behavior. Players are threatened with fines and, based on the last few days, public shaming if they ever speak up about referee's shananigans. So maybe he does have a history of this sort of thing. The NHL doesn't want us to know one way or another. And even if there's no history, doesn't mean he didn't do exactly what Prust said he did.

And maybe Prust did say something more than "soft call". He probably did. Most player do on the way to the box. Any normal referee would likely give him 2 more at that exact point if it was over the line, not skate into the penalty box with the pointy finger and start lecturing.

But let's flip this around a bit. Has Brandon Prust ever gone to the media with complaints about refereeing in a 10 year career? As far as I know, no. So by the same token, he must have really been treated poorly by Watson, correct?

The NHL will never say that Watson acted like a meathead so we'll have to look for clues. Should be a quick "investigation", there's an NHL suit sitting right next to Prust during the pointing. If Watson did no wrong the I assume that within 40 hours the NHL could have announced that Prust was being fined, that his claims were absurd, and announce that Watson has been admonished of any wrong doing. And who knows, that still might happen. But if not, then I think you have to at least consider that what Prust is saying could actually be true, and Watson did overstep. Even though Prust once elbowed a guy in the head, threw an elbow pad into a bench, isn't liked by Bruins and Sens fans, and broke the oh-so-sacred first commandment of hockey: Thou Shall Not Besmirch Referees In Public.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Prust is a real piece of work. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but he acts like someone beat him up and took his lunch money. Given all his shenanigans in the past I have little sympathy for him. He went and threw a glove at Stamkos but there's nothing wrong with that right? It's all about the big mean referee who so badly mistreated him.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Yet you had no issue with the officiating in the first round. The double standards in Montreal... Unbelievable.

There's a difference between missed calls (offside, quick whistle that wasn't covered, borderline penalties, etc.) which can be chalked up to referee error and happen all the time to both teams, and what Prust is alleging - refs going off script to call the game based on who they like / don't like and grudges and vendettas and settling scores.

If you can find a player saying Chris Lee waved off an Ottawa goal because Zibanejad hurt his feeling 2 weeks earlier, then you've got something comparable.

And once again, I have yet to see anyone claim that Prust's 4 min minor, which was killed off, was the reason Montreal lost Game # 2.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I know, I know. A prostitute never has good eyesight. We should instantly discredit everything someone says unless that person has a wonderful angelic track record, and has never showed poor judgment, right? Always easier to discredit the witness and ignore the complaint than to actually deal with the "what if he's telling the truth?" aspect.

I don't know if Watson has a history of this type of behavior. Players are threatened with fines and, based on the last few days, public shaming if they ever speak up about referee's shananigans. So maybe he does have a history of this sort of thing. The NHL doesn't want us to know one way or another. And even if there's no history, doesn't mean he didn't do exactly what Prust said he did.

And maybe Prust did say something more than "soft call". He probably did. Most player do on the way to the box. Any normal referee would likely give him 2 more at that exact point if it was over the line, not skate into the penalty box with the pointy finger and start lecturing.

But let's flip this around a bit. Has Brandon Prust ever gone to the media with complaints about refereeing in a 10 year career? As far as I know, no. So by the same token, he must have really been treated poorly by Watson, correct?

The NHL will never say that Watson acted like a meathead so we'll have to look for clues. Should be a quick "investigation", there's an NHL suit sitting right next to Prust during the pointing. If Watson did no wrong the I assume that within 40 hours the NHL could have announced that Prust was being fined, that his claims were absurd, and announce that Watson has been admonished of any wrong doing. And who knows, that still might happen. But if not, then I think you have to at least consider that what Prust is saying could actually be true, and Watson did overstep. Even though Prust once elbowed a guy in the head, threw an elbow pad into a bench, isn't liked by Bruins and Sens fans, and broke the oh-so-sacred first commandment of hockey: Thou Shall Not Besmirch Referees In Public.

no but this isn't the first time Prust "broke the code" and decided to make him self a media darling by whining to the media about events/conversations which occurred on the ice.

Even MT his coach days earlier said "whats on ice stays on ice"... not a week later and we have Prust whining and spilling the beans of on ice incidents.

The guy is clearly a moron and just doesn't "get it"

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa

Did you just call Prust a ....... a.......star?

:amazed:

Jerk Store*

There's a difference between missed calls (offside, quick whistle that wasn't covered, borderline penalties, etc.) which can be chalked up to referee error and happen all the time to both teams, and what Prust is alleging - refs going off script to call the game based on who they like / don't like and grudges and vendettas and settling scores.

If you can find a player saying Chris Lee waved off an Ottawa goal because Zibanejad hurt his feeling 2 weeks earlier, then you've got something comparable.

And once again, I have yet to see anyone claim that Prust's 4 min minor, which was killed off, was the reason Montreal lost Game # 2.

Yes, there is a difference: The officiating in the case of Ottawa might've cost them the game whereas the Prust incident had no direct impact on the score. Yet that's the one where you conveniently take issue with.

:help:

The reason why the blown calls in game 6 vs Ottawa didn't become as big an issue as this is because Sens whine less. Sorry, I simply don't get why some of you are defending Prust. Was happy to hear MT saying what he said following the incident. This whole incident puts Montreal in a bad light league wide and is very much a distraction at a time where they should be focused on planning for the next game. We all know game 3 is crucial, given MTL is down 2-0.

Last edited by a moderator:

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006

Who said I had no issue with the first round? The reffing was brutal, for every team, and all year.

And I didn't mean to imply Prust was a star, just that stars in the NHL get accosted and it would be nice if they didn't. Tough D play is great, 4th liners hanging on to your stars is not.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Yes, there is a difference: The officiating in the case of Ottawa might've cost them the game whereas the Prust incident had no direct impact on the score. Yet that's the one where you conveniently take issue with.

:help:

The reason why the blown calls in game 6 vs Ottawa didn't become as big an issue as this is because Sens players whine less. Sorry, I simply don't get why some of you are defending Prust. Was happy to hear MT saying what he said following the incident. This whole incident puts Montreal in a bad light league wide and is very much a distraction at a time where they should be focused on planning for the next game. We all know game 3 is crucial, given MTL is down 2-0.

What??? You can't be serious.... Stone? lol

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006

This! This is the issue here, if players don't speak out it won't ever change.

Cmoneyflyguy

Jul 13, 2005
Wayne, Pa
The refs are human. They learn.
It's human nature.

It's why the Prust's, rinaldo's, etc get more calls.
But if you act like an a-hole - you reap what you sow.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014

This!! And since this is now out in the open AND both Kerry Fraser & Paul Stewart pretty much confirmed on their blogs what Prust accused Watson for, an investigation has to be done.

montador*

why stick up for your player when not all of the facts are known? it's not like Prust is a family member. I don't get it.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
The refs are human. They learn.
It's human nature.

It's why the Prust's, rinaldo's, etc get more calls.
But if you act like an a-hole - you reap what you sow.

I agree with you, but the the referee job is to be objective

Nynja*

no but this isn't the first time Prust "broke the code" and decided to make him self a media darling by whining to the media about events/conversations which occurred on the ice.

Even MT his coach days earlier said "whats on ice stays on ice"... not a week later and we have Prust whining and spilling the beans of on ice incidents.

The guy is clearly a moron and just doesn't "get it"

When did he do this exactly? And dont use the bugeyed walrus excuse here, because hes not whining aboyt on-ice events there

montador*

This!! And since this is now out in the open AND both Kerry Fraser & Paul Stewart pretty much confirmed on their blogs what Prust accused Watson for, an investigation has to be done.
they have?

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
Montreal are the biggest whiners of any team of any time. They were a great Club once they held such great pride. I hated them they were always good they always beat the Bruins and I would sulk and say things like next year would be ours. Now I dont want to be anything like them. There pride is gone.

And on a side note If you are by the glass, you can hear everything on the ice going on. If you were by the penalty bench all of these things being said it would have been all over the world by now, with video and audio by 10 different people. I dont buy it.

Censored23

May 20, 2011

Then maybe the refs should be able to speak out after games too, letting everyone know just how much of an ******* the players really are when they are on the ice.

Best thing...every time a player opens his mouth and swears...2 MINS in the box. That will take away the "line" so that nothing can be crossed anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad