Not open for further replies.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
StamkosElbowGIF1.gif

StamkosElbowGIF2.gif

LaCarriere

Prust's reputation aside, refs are supposed to be as unbiased as possible. It's a thankless job, but it's part of the job. I'm not saying some guys don't earn reputations, it happens in other sports as well, but it really shouldn't be an accepted part of the game, and I think the best refs/umps try to rise above that.

Regardless, Watson is not reffing any more games this series, so I'm guessing the league is doing some damage control and saw some truth in what Prust said. My guess is the league is banking on the fact that MTL is down 2-0 and won't make the next round so this just all goes away. If MTL comes back and wins they have a pretty big decision as to whether Watson is involved in any more MTL games, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him out of this series.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
no its not.if a player say something inappropriate you call a 2min for unsportmanship.

A ref who insulte a player saying he's a motherf**** should be banned form the NHL.

Here's a novel idea. If someone can affect your ability to do your job, maybe you shouldn't **** talk that person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Watson never should have followed Prust over to the penalty box to jaw at him. Even if he didn't say anything across the line, the optics just don't look very good on it. Having said that, I'm not buying Prust's claim that he didn't say anything to earn his extra penalty. I'd bet my bottom dollar he was running his mouth.

I'd say both of them deserve a portion of the blame.

Analyzer*

Don't worry, it's not. And even if it was it's not like anyone would ever admit it.

Yes, yes it is. Some refs in every sport trying to control the game and go power mad. Not surprising you don't think it's true.

Prust should become a pitcher, or a quaterback. He got Stamkos with a solid throw.

It's not the first time someone has said an official was "out to get them"

The officials in the NHL are garbage now. How they can't drop a ****ing puck, to how they miss blatant offsides. They can plays no goals when they should count and goal when they shouldn't.

There's no accountability for these idiots who can't do their job anymore.

As a ref, if someone calls you a bunch of names, you give them 2 and 10 and skate away.

Even if you don't say anything to the refs and just skate away, they'll find a reason to **** a team over if they so choose.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So do you think instead of calling them out in the media, if they had gone through the appropriate channels, maybe the NHL would've been less likely to "sweep it under the rug"? Hey, maybe not, but again, calling it out in the media, rarely ever works.

Nope....the media works when there's video and mics everywhere.

Nynja*

Watson never should have followed Prust over to the penalty box to jaw at him. Even if he didn't say anything across the line, the optics just don't look very good on it. Having said that, I'm not buying Prust's claim that he didn't say anything to earn his extra penalty. I'd bet my bottom dollar he was running his mouth.

I'd say both of them deserve a portion of the blame.

Except theres a video of Prust saying absolutely nothing on the way to the box, and in the box, until the additional 2 is given. He says thats a soft call (you can clearly make out the word "soft" lip reading), then sits in the box while Watson grills him. I posted the video with a clear shot of Prusts face, he's saying NOTHING after he voices his opinion about the soft call. He then says "okay", and gets the unsportsmanlike.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Except theres a video of Prust saying absolutely nothing on the way to the box, and in the box, until the additional 2 is given. He says thats a soft call (you can clearly make out the word "soft" lip reading), then sits in the box while Watson grills him. I posted the video with a clear shot of Prusts face, he's saying NOTHING after he voices his opinion about the soft call. He then says "okay", and gets the unsportsmanlike.

So does he say absolutely nothing or does he say "soft"?

Dizzying stuff, all this spinning.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012

For all we know he could have said something minutes before that, or was warned for something but did it again and the ref wasn't gonna take his **** anymore.
Let's not act like Prust is a saint here. I wouldn't be surprised if the ref lost patience with him.

Nynja*

For all we know he could have said something minutes before that, or was warned for something but did it again and the ref wasn't gonna take his **** anymore.
Let's not act like Prust is a saint here. I wouldn't be surprised if the ref lost patience with him.

Then hit him with an unsportsmanlike or a misconduct and be done with it.

Why was Watson in the penalty box?

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
When you call an opposing coach a bug-eyed walrus in a post-game interview, don't expect anybody to take anything you say seriously. This guy acts like a 5 year old, of course nobody is going to believe him.

He was just being honest though. It is true that he looks like a bug-eyed walrus. I laughed so damn hard when he said that and he had it coming to him after the **** he said.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Anyways its clear as day that Bishop has been trying to get Montreal penalized with all the bloody flopping he has been doing this series so far. Im surprised he hasnt been called for embellishment yet. Its been that apparent. Even the broadcasters noticed it.

The guy looks like a bloody wimp. As soon as there is the slightest contact he flops all over the place. I've never seen anything like it. You know what they say about people that cry wolf eh ? Eventually it comes back to bite you !!

SenatorArmy*

He was just being honest though. It is true that he looks like a bug-eyed walrus. I laughed so damn hard when he said that and he had it coming to him after the **** he said.

What did MacLean say that was so offensive?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We may never know what Prusty said to trigger Watson's rage. We will never know what Watson said to trigger Prust's claims to the media. The NHL's boys have some transcripts by now. Both parties most likely have had a talking to by their management. I am sure this has happened before, many times. Except someone did not cry to the media.

This thread is very entertaining, nonetheless...

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
So does he say absolutely nothing or does he say "soft"?

Dizzying stuff, all this spinning.

I think what he said was pretty clear. He said it was a soft call heading to the bench, then said just about nothing on the bench.

We may never know what Prusty said to trigger Watson's rage. We will never know what Watson said to trigger Prust's claims to the media. The NHL's boys have some transcripts by now. Both parties most likely have had a talking to by their management. I am sure this has happened before, many times. Except someone did not cry to the media.

This thread is very entertaining, nonetheless...

Hmm, when was the last time you heard a ref speak publicly about anything? Let's not assume what Prust did was unfair because the refs didn't get to voice their opinion. They never do, and sometimes it's better to get it out there.

Last edited:

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
That is a massive disparity in punishment don't you think?

Just a tad, the way it should have went down was if Watson wanted to tear a strip off him he shouldnt have given him the penalty, especially after the fact. Could have just given him the penalty and skated away.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Anyways its clear as day that Bishop has been trying to get Montreal penalized with all the bloody flopping he has been doing this series so far. Im surprised he hasnt been called for embellishment yet. Its been that apparent. Even the broadcasters noticed it.

The guy looks like a bloody wimp. As soon as there is the slightest contact he flops all over the place. I've never seen anything like it. You know what they say about people that cry wolf eh ? Eventually it comes back to bite you !!

You must not have watched many Canadiens games then. Over the years they have been by far the biggest divers in the league. Every year there will be other teams right there with them, but they are always right up there.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Just a tad, the way it should have went down was if Watson wanted to tear a strip off him he shouldnt have given him the penalty, especially after the fact. Could have just given him the penalty and skated away.

We don't know exactly what happened. We only have Prust's word on what happened and I don't trust anything he says. I do believe that the ref could get so angry at him that he said those things though. I have a hard time believing that it happened exactly as Prust says it did.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
We don't know exactly what happened. We only have Prust's word on what happened and I don't trust anything he says. I do believe that the ref could get so angry at him that he said those things though. I have a hard time believing that it happened exactly as Prust says it did.

That's fine and your choice to believe what you want but the optics of a ref going to the box wagging his finger like he is scolding a child (not that pro hockey players arent glorified children) and then assessing a penalty after the fact sure does look bad on that individual. What you do see on video is pretty much what Prust described in the fact he is just going about his business while being scolded. Officials are supposed to be the bigger men so either give him the penalty and skate away or yap at him too and let it be a warning. Look at NBA refs and how they deal with it, they just T them up and walk away. Which is how a ref should act when calling an unsportsmanlike type call.
I am not sure why this thread is such a debate because I dont think people are justifying what Prust did but saying the ref shouldnt put himself in this situation this day in age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad