Player Discussion Brandon Montour

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So where are we at with this guy?
He should have Dahlin’s spot on the PP from time to time to shake things up. Seems like a good player but kind of redundant considering the D we have and the forwards we lack.

I’d trade him in a package for a top 6 forward even though it would hurt a bit.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
He should have Dahlin’s spot on the PP from time to time to shake things up. Seems like a good player but kind of redundant considering the D we have and the forwards we lack.

Right there with you.

I’d move him for the top 6 W that we lack.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Love him as a transition/exit/entry guy and would like to see him get time on his forehand instead of being the guy shuffled over to carry other RHD who aren't good at that. There is some emotion there, some physical play even if he isn't the biggest guy, and he's carried a number of partners. He isn't redundant in the least, he's one of the four defensemen they should most definitely keep moving forward.

As for PP time... no. He wasn't good at it in Anaheim, hasn't been good at it in Buffalo. His game is transition and rush, not set piece stuff.

And no, I wouldn't be looking to package him for anything right now. Keep him, he's one of their best defensemen.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I like him a lot.

This year though I think I like Risto better.

But nothing wrong with having 3 good RHD. Both of them should be available for the right upgrade at forward.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Vegas need top 4 RD that can move the puck. :naughty:
How about the other RHD on M... Miller? He’s got some playoff pedigree, played top 4 minutes on a team that went deep into the playoffs.

Love him as a transition/exit/entry guy and would like to see him get time on his forehand instead of being the guy shuffled over to carry other RHD who aren't good at that. There is some emotion there, some physical play even if he isn't the biggest guy, and he's carried a number of partners. He isn't redundant in the least, he's one of the four defensemen they should most definitely keep moving forward.

As for PP time... no. He wasn't good at it in Anaheim, hasn't been good at it in Buffalo. His game is transition and rush, not set piece stuff.

And no, I wouldn't be looking to package him for anything right now. Keep him, he's one of their best defensemen.
Redundant was a bad word. Luxury that we can’t afford might be better. It just feels like he hasn’t been given a legit role on the team when he should be a piece that you build around.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
He’s good, and should remain on the team going forward. Montour is one of my least concerns on the team right now. A good solid defenseman overall. Honestly I wish we had a few more of him but o. Forward

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Perhaps we still need to trade Risto or Montour to get help in forward or choose a futures package.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How about the other RHD on M... Miller? He’s got some playoff pedigree, played top 4 minutes on a team that went deep into the playoffs.

Redundant was a bad word. Luxury that we can’t afford might be better. It just feels like he hasn’t been given a legit role on the team when he should be a piece that you build around.

I'm fine with the idea of having him around and very much being a piece to build around. Even playing on his off-hand side and working in on the wing, he's been strong in transition and has made his RHD partner better. That's the sort of guy you keep.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Dahlin Joker
Pilut Risto
Xxx. Montour

They need something better than Mcape at LHD and I'd be willing to bail water until a prospect takes the reins.

I'm not enthralled with paying montour around 5 a year, but I suppose that won't matter if Risto gets traded or not resigned.

I would like that top 6 way better if Borgen or a cheap free agent could come in and be the muscle with enough skill to help protect out there.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
They have to lock him up at 8 years as soon as they can before he gets too good and demands 8+ mil, it'd be one of the best contracts in the league long-term. Only 25 and don't think he's scratched the surface of how he could be offensively.
He's fine defensively, for me to trade him it'd have to be for a legit top 30 forward but no one would trade that for Montour. His potential is more than his current value it'd be foolish to trade him now.
He plays with spirit and plays hard, can transition absolutely someone you build around and should not sell low.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
They have to lock him up at 8 years as soon as they can before he gets too good and demands 8+ mil, it'd be one of the best contracts in the league long-term. Only 25 and don't think he's scratched the surface of how he could be offensively.
He's fine defensively, for me to trade him it'd have to be for a legit top 30 forward but no one would trade that for Montour. His potential is more than his current value it'd be foolish to trade him now.
He plays with spirit and plays hard, can transition absolutely someone you build around and should not sell low.
Brandon is that you?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
So we can’t keep him and Risto?

I think our RHD spine of those 2 and Joki is the way to move forward until our prospects are ready.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So we can’t keep him and Risto?

I think our RHD spine of those 2 and Joki is the way to move forward until our prospects are ready.

The way he's shown on the left side, he has versatility going for him as well as his ability to transition pucks up on the attack. Not everyone continues to have good metrics when playing on their off-hand side, but he did. He isn't redundant, he's part of the core going forward.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
@dotcommunism Is this the last year of Montour's RFA?

He'll be 27 before the end of next season
But next season would only be his 6th accrued season

Do both criteria have to be met for UFA or just 1 (27 yrs old / 7 accrued seasons)? I'm pretty sure it's only 1 of the criteria required... but the more sure I am about something CBA related, the more likely I'm wrong.

I ask... because it's probably a big deal in his negotiation/arbitration

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Do both criteria have to be met for UFA or just 1 (27 yrs old / 7 accrued seasons)? I'm pretty sure it's only 1 of the criteria required... but the more sure I am about something CBA related, the more likely I'm wrong.

Cap Friendly has him down as a RFA.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

It's 27 or 7 seasons.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

I've liked Montour but hes not very good on the PP. However I'm sick of watching him have to keep the puck in on his backhand, it completely neuters him.

If we have to trade a RHD I'd trade Miller before Montour. Though both being traded might be the best move before Seattle's expansion as we really don't have 7 forwards worth protecting and using the 8 skaters is poo.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

He'll be a UFA in 2021. A player needs to either have turned 27 or have 7 accrued seasons by June 30th of a year to be eligible for free agency on July 1st. Both are not required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad