Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Having owned him in my hockey pool for a few years now, I've watched him quite a bit. He's the kind of player you watch and think, "this guy could be as productive as anyone", yet for his talent, his name doesn't show up on the scoresheet very often. Much of that is because Anaheim is just a black hole of offense, but part of it is that he has no control over his massive shot. He tries to pick corners, but he's the sort of player who should just aim for the center of the net... since he's bound to be off by two feet and that should land the puck in a corner half the time.

I really, really like his potential; he's quick and dynamic... if he can put it all together on the right team, he could be a 50-60 point defenseman. Is Buffalo that team? I'd guess not, since they have the finest young D-man in the league already, and I imagine he'll be relegated to the 2nd power play once again. He deserves a shot on the 1st power play of a decent team, and he'd probably be dynamite together with Dahlin, but I'd guess Buffalo already has a setup they're pretty comfortable with.

One important thing to know about Montour is that he's a late-bloomer. He didn't start taking hockey seriously until late in his teens... lacrosse was his sport, and presumably that changed when he realized only lacrosse players care about lacrosse. Basically, he's like a typical 21 year-old in his development, with plenty of room to grow. And this shows, because over the last year, his presence in his own zone has improved dramatically. If the improvement over the last year could continue for a couple more, you'll have a very special player on your hands... if he can just remember the great Howie Meeker's advice: "you gotta hit the net!".

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Just out of curiosity, since I know he's from Six Nations and grew up playing lacrosse. Anyone know if he's related to either of the Montours who used to play for the Bandits? The Bandits used to have a goalie named Ken Montour and a D/transition guy named Tommy Montour.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Ducks fan here. You get a great young player in Monty and used the right way you will love him. He has his problems in the own end but give him a partner that cover him he will produce. Cocky as well. You will like him a lot. A year back I thought he will be the long term partner of Lindholm.

I really hope this turns out as a good trade for both sides and I pray the STL first rounder will be #20 ;-)

Reactions: Thorton02

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ducks fan here. You get a great young player in Monty and used the right way you will love him. He has his problems in the own end but give him a partner that cover him he will produce. Cocky as well. You will like him a lot. A year back I thought he will be the long term partner of Lindholm.

I really hope this turns out as a good trade for both sides and I pray the STL first rounder will be #20 ;-)
Unfortunately I have 0 faith that Housley will use him correctly. More likely to see some healthy scratches.

Snargitz

Nov 27, 2005
Brisbane
Ducks were in Edmonton Saturday and are playing in Vancouver tonight so I assume they were there when the trade happened. Did they send the Pegula jet to go get him?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I doubt he plays today. They will want to see him in practice before playing him I'd assume.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I doubt he plays today. They will want to see him in practice before playing him I'd assume.
I think he'll be in, it's pretty standard practice for teams to move heaven and earth to get newly acquired guys the equipment they need in order to step in right away. Sabres have already had plenty of time to do that ahead of tonight's game and there's still all day.

Reactions: Kyndig

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Ducks were in Edmonton Saturday and are playing in Vancouver tonight so I assume they were there when the trade happened. Did they send the Pegula jet to go get him?

Probably don't even need to, there are flights running between either of those cities and Toronto around the clock. He should have no problem getting there by morning skate.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He was one of 3 defenders I wanted buffalo to select with the Karabacek or Cornel picks in 2014. Dougherty, and McKeown being the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad