Player Discussion Brandon Montour

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
how did he look in his first game

one of my favorite players cant believe anaheim traded him lol
He looked confident handling the puck at the point and was aggressive pinching down, sometimes reaching below the goal line. Flubbed a one-timer that ended up creating an odd-man rush the other way for a goal. All in all, a good showing from him. If you're a fancy stats person, he lead the team with a with 61.4 CF%.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
how did he look in his first game

one of my favorite players cant believe anaheim traded him lol
Briefly: Dynamic and aggressive with the puck, looked pretty competent despite a couple of mistakes. With the overall team play that game it's hard to gauge what it'll be like going forward.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
On ice for 2 goals against, but 1 goal for. Caught over-aggressively in the O zone several times, leaving us defensively vulnerable, sometimes leading to odd man rushes the other way, on one occasion led directly to a goal against.

He's a defensive zone liability and totally offensive-oriented D man.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Was playing on raw emotion which led to some really scrambled play in his own zone. That's to be expected when joining a new team and having zero chemistry with his new teammates.

I thought he was strong carrying the puck up the ice and wasn't afraid to throw his weight around. All in all it is going to take weeks to get a decent read on him.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The real value of Montour will be when he shoves Bogosian out of the top 4. I don't know if that happens this year, under this coach. I also question the wisdom of trading ROR for Montour (which is basically where we end up asset-wise). But I like what I've seen so far on the offensive side of the ledger, and think his defensive game is passable.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
He looked confident handling the puck at the point and was aggressive pinching down, sometimes reaching below the goal line. Flubbed a one-timer that ended up creating an odd-man rush the other way for a goal. All in all, a good showing from him. If you're a fancy stats person, he lead the team with a with 61.4 CF%.
That's montour .the guy who always makes the mistake

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The real value of Montour will be when he shoves Bogosian out of the top 4. I don't know if that happens this year, under this coach. I also question the wisdom of trading ROR for Montour (which is basically where we end up asset-wise). But I like what I've seen so far on the offensive side of the ledger, and think his defensive game is passable.
You shouldn't factor ROR into this deal. That was an awful trade, as we should all accept. This deal should be judged on its own merits.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
On ice for 2 goals against, but 1 goal for. Caught over-aggressively in the O zone several times, leaving us defensively vulnerable, sometimes leading to odd man rushes the other way, on one occasion led directly to a goal against.

He's a defensive zone liability and totally offensive-oriented D man.
Or ........ he just got here, hasn’t practiced with his new team/teammates yet and we won’t know what we have for some time as he gets acclimated.

Its pretty foolish to proclaim what he is as a player based on one game under these circumstances.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I like how he wants to push the pace of play. And he has the wheels to get back defensively.

I'm also jealous of his hair. Not long ago I had thick black hair like that too. :(

Reactions: joshjull

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
It's pretty evident even after two games that he is far far better than Ristolainen. I really wonder what Tampa was offering and I hope Botts re visits that over the summer.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
The need for a shutdown defenseman is massively overrated. The game is so fast you need to play as a 5 man unit. One shutdown guy can’t covr up for 4 liabilities.

They need to accumulate talent on defense, that’s about it. They aren’t building to be the 95 devils.

Montour looks like he has the potential to be an upgrade in the top six. Would be great to have two pairings capable of 22-23 minutes and keeping that third pairing to around 15-16.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You can see the plan on D it’s just frustrating to to be patient with it given how long we’ve been in the sewer. That isn’t Botterill’s fault and he’s trying to build it the right way and as hard as it is on a micro level to wait it out on a macro level there is a plan that makes sense.

Montour is a high risk high reward D. Pilut is too. Laaksonen. Nelson. Both at their best when they can be puck movers.

Dahlin is already ridiculous and will be an elite two way guy without as much risk down the line but also at his best when free to fly. He doesn’t even count for this...he’s just going to be a if not the top D in the league and his partner is going to benefit (see Bogo having a good year...but only when paired with Dahlin...if not he’s old Bogo more often)

What we don’t have at the ready is competent defensemen. We have Ristolainen and Scandella. But that’s why he invested a high pick in Samuelsson. And why he prioritized getting Borgen out of college and not screwing around.

The problem is those guys are still a ways away from knowing if they’ll even make it in the league. He needs to find a couple finished products to mind the gap and dump the guys that we know aren’t working.

That’s why the Montour deal is one I’d do a hundred times out of a hundred. Now there are two D that we know are written in pen when this is built. I believe Pilut will be (which is why Guhle was more expendable). Hey we’re halfway there.

And honestly the hard half.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Ducks fan coming in peace. Thoughts on Montour so far? Rooting for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad